Diesel vs Hybrid

tom_tom

hi

Don't know much about cars ...I have a discretionary car allowance ..can simply keep the cash but
after years of hard work and frugal living have decided I'd like use it for a premium car( 60-70K mark) ..don't
really need one ..I'm not 'on the road' ....commute is 30-40mins

Yes it is a 'heart' purchase...but the head is still thinking.

Cars I like Audi A5, A6 (Diesels)...im being drawn to the NEW BMW 5 (plug-in) or some other plug-in in this price range.
...partly as I think Diesel will be out of date in 3yrs time with reduced demand and therefore trade-in value next trade-up.....am I wrong here?

If I went the PCP route is the future value set anyway regardless of diesel demand

I could be over thinking all this of course.........thoughts / advice please...thanks

Last edited:
That money would buy you the higher spec Tesla 3. it is a very nice car, and gets you anywhere in Ireland without too much hassle.
Personally not a fan of plug-in hybrids but that’s me.

A couple of other electric options to add to your list that would fit in that price range if you went secondhand -
Audi e-tron
Jaguar iPace
Mercedes EQC
Tesla Model S/3

Well worth dropping over to Audi in Sandyford and take the e-tron for a test drive if you haven’t driven fully electric before, you’ll be blown away.

I thought they were over €90K
The e-tron 55 is, the e-tron 50 starts at €75k though. And of course that's assuming you are looking to burn money by buying new, there are nearly new 50/55 models on carzone for €70-75k . Or bring one in from the UK and you're down closer to €60k.

Sounds like you're a candidate for the full-fat Duracell-mobile. Forget diesel or hybrid, last out on the spec and don't forget your to hold back a few quid for your night-time, off-peak electricity recharger, electrons for the replenishment of.

Range and cost don't seem to be an issue. You have a great opportunity to avoid buying a dirty diesel. Anecdotally EV drivers seem to love their cars and many would say they'll never go back to ICE.

Range and cost don't seem to be an issue. You have a great opportunity to avoid buying a dirty diesel. Anecdotally EV drivers seem to love their cars and many would say they'll never go back to ICE.
It will also save you the hassle of going Vegan. :D
It's one or the other though; vegans who drive EV's (or worse, cycle) are insufferable.

It will also save you the hassle of going Vegan. :D
It's one or the other though; vegans who drive EV's (or worse, cycle) are insufferable.
Not half as insufferable as those with a love affair for ICE engines. I look forward to the day when pumping out noxious fumes while driving is as socially unacceptable as smoking indoors.

I say that as someone who drives a petrol car as no affordable EV meets the needs of my family.

And there's the crux of the matter. No cars with decent range and insufficient infrastructure investment to suit your average Sheila or Sean citizen.

And there's the crux of the matter. No cars with decent range and insufficient infrastructure investment to suit your average Sheila or Sean citizen.
Really? There are many options available. In our case only the Tesla model S/X could easily take 3 child seats. With only 2 kids there would have been many options.

That and the fact that half the Carbon Footprint of your cars occurs before the engine is turned on, more if you drive low mileage and run a small ICE car. This has been covered extensively elsewhere but suffice to say I'm not a fan of outsourcing our pollution to the poorest people on earth.

VW iD3 says hello :D
I can just about hear one from Wolfsburg or Mexico or where-ever they're assembled.

You can pre-order an ID.3 since 01/10/2020 according to VW. So it's not really a "thing" yet, just a page on the dealers' order books. Even their website won't allow you to configure one, a week after the virtual launch date in Ireland.

From their downloadable PDF:

6 charging stations along major motorways in Ireland !!!! [Emphasis and exclamation marks mine]
» Average 120 km to the next IONITY charging station - [Averages are dangerous things when planning trips. Pack extra Duracells for your Bunny]
» An average of 4 - 6 charging points per station - [Averages again]
» ID.3 has a charging capacity up to 125kW and can charge from 5% to 80% in only 35 minutes with IONITY [On average I suppose]
» A record-setting, high-speed charging capacity of up to 350kW DC (depending on capacity of car) [And on availability of charging points]
» An experience so intuitive you already know how to use it.
» Fully integrated with We Charge
» All IONITY stations are powered by 100% renewable energy
» Use of the European CCS charging standard, achieving the widest compatibility across electric vehicles past, present, and future"

Plus between €400 and €850 for the optional wall-charger PLUS extra for the also optional 3-pin plug domestic mains charger cable.

Last edited:
You can pre-order an ID.3 since 01/10/2020 according to VW. So it's not really a "thing" yet, just a page on the dealers' order books. Even their website won't allow you to configure one, a week after the virtual launch date in Ireland.
Don't doubt your information and would guess they're going to be in short supply... but there's one in my estate since earlier this week.

I can just about hear one from Wolfsburg or Mexico or where-ever they're assembled.

From their downloadable PDF:

6 charging stations along major motorways in Ireland !!!! [Emphasis and exclamation marks mine]
» Average 120 km to the next IONITY charging station - [Averages are dangerous things when planning trips. Pack extra Duracells for your Bunny]
» An average of 4 - 6 charging points per station - [Averages again]
» ID.3 has a charging capacity up to 125kW and can charge from 5% to 80% in only 35 minutes with IONITY [On average I suppose]
» A record-setting, high-speed charging capacity of up to 350kW DC (depending on capacity of car) [And on availability of charging points]
» An experience so intuitive you already know how to use it.
» Fully integrated with We Charge
» All IONITY stations are powered by 100% renewable energy
» Use of the European CCS charging standard, achieving the widest compatibility across electric vehicles past, present, and future"

Plus between €400 and €850 for the optional wall-charger PLUS extra for the also optional 3-pin plug domestic mains charger cable.

there are loads of them in the wild now, there is a massive thread on boards with all the new users discussing them (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057979167). Range is circa 300-350km weather dependent and there are route planners that allow you to plan routes with fast chargers along the way if you happen to be going further than that.

wall charger will be 2-300 quid net of the grant if you buy from electric ireland.

if you are a sales rep thats on the road all day every day it wont suit, for almost everyone else it will, unless you really want to convince yourself otherwise.

my audi e-tron has a lower practical range and we manage fine.

Back