Diesel vs Hybrid

Fair enough. I hate all SUV's and think they give a horrible driving experience. It's like driving a Transet but not as much fun. If you need it for offroad and for some reason can't use an X-Drive BMW, Audi Quattro etc then but one but they are smaller inside, have bugger all boot space, don't handle well, are expensive to run and are an environmental disaster.
If you drive on roads all the time there is zero reason to own one.

Sorry smaller inside and bugger all boot space compared to what? an equivalent estate?

moved to a Toyota hybrid a couple of years ago, dull as ditchwater to drive but that suits me fine as I can focus on my audiobook or spotify instead. Interestingly my insurance dropped by around 15% as hybrid drivers were deemed to be safer. I'm on my second one now, older hybrids had a dreadful acceleration, especially if you were pulling onto the motorway, newer ones are much better

Sorry smaller inside and bugger all boot space compared to what? an equivalent estate?
No, a large saloon car. The wheel arches make much of the boot space impractical and also eat into the rear cabin space. The Skode Superb has 625L of boot space. The BMW X5 has 645 but the Skode is much more usable due to its shape. The Skoda is about half the price, cheaper to run, available in 4X4, has comparable safety ratings and is nicer to drive unless you have small-man syndrome and need to be high-up.

No, a large saloon car. The wheel arches make much of the boot space impractical and also eat into the rear cabin space. The Skode Superb has 625L of boot space. The BMW X5 has 645 but the Skode is much more usable due to its shape. The Skoda is about half the price, cheaper to run, available in 4X4, has comparable safety ratings and is nicer to drive unless you have small-man syndrome and need to be high-up.

so you exaggerated when you said bugger all boot space :D

most cars dont stack up against a skoda superb if space is a primary concern, but people will always wanta premium marque, most superbs are seen as taxis to be honest, and its not any better to drive than a sorted SUV, have you driven an msport x5 or a porsche macan or a jag f-type? they arent bad at all, as good as most normal saloons.

ive only recently started buying suvs, and im well over 6 foot so its not make myself feel bigger :D but they do work better with a young family, thats why you see so many on a school run.

so you exaggerated when you said bugger all boot space :D
I picked the X5 as it'a a large SUV. The smaller ones have really small boots.

most cars dont stack up against a skoda superb if space is a primary concern, but people will always wanta premium marque, most superbs are seen as taxis to be honest, and its not any better to drive than a sorted SUV, have you driven an msport x5 or a porsche macan or a jag f-type? they arent bad at all, as good as most normal saloons.
I have driven an M50D and it's very nice to drive but not €115,000 nice. The standard MSport version is about €95,000. You could get a 540iM for €15,000 less than that which would wipe the floor with it in every regard other than boot space (and usability still comes into that). It's even 4 wheel drive!
You'd get a very good saloon car for €50k. You won't get much of an SUV for that money.

only recently started buying suvs, and im well over 6 foot so its not make myself feel bigger :D but they do work better with a young family, thats why you see so many on a school run.
I've 4 kids and I disagree. If you want practical get a people mover.

I picked the X5 as it'a a large SUV. The smaller ones have really small boots.

I have driven an M50D and it's very nice to drive but not €115,000 nice. The standard MSport version is about €95,000. You could get a 540iM for €15,000 less than that which would wipe the floor with it in every regard other than boot space (and usability still comes into that). It's even 4 wheel drive!
You'd get a very good saloon car for €50k. You won't get much of an SUV for that money.

I've 4 kids and I disagree. If you want practical get a people mover.

ive only has larger ones so cant speak to the smaller ones, but obivously makes sense to pick a vehicle on the basis of your space requirements.

and you can get any suv you want for 50k, it just wont be new :)

but i agree for most people a skoda superb is all the car you could possibly need, its the want is the issue !

I like EV's and I think and hope they are the future but at present there is no way that they are a better driving experience.

Exactly, never was there a proper sports car where they added 500kg to make it handle better!

I used to travel a lot so I rented cars nearly every week. Over the course of a few years I drove dozens of different cars. How they corner, how they feel on different road surfaces etc all contributes to the driving experience. I've only driven a few EV's and nothing in the €70K bracket but in normal driving conditions I found them dull and boring. Dull like VW's kind of dull; well built and all that but just disappointing to drive relative to say a BMW or even a Ford.
I think we’re in agreement tbh, you’re clearly an experienced enthusiast and people saying the Tesla ModelS is as plush as a top-end Mercedes or handles as well as a decent BMW in sportier driving situations is infuriating.

What I’m just saying is that if my mother/father/brother/wife who are just regular Joe drivers step into an EV they find them more stable and safer on the road because of the weight, quieter, quicker in the power range they use, cheaper to run (tolls, fuel, tax, insurance, services, repairs), less maintenance required, less likely to break down, never need to handle a dirty diesel/petrol pump again, pre-heated in the morning, generally much higher spec’d than their regular car, easier to drive with no gears, better control in wet/icy conditions because of exact torque applied to the wheels, less trips to petrol stations, easier to get through an NCT etc. These are the things the average person thinks of as the driving experience. The only thing they’ll find to be worse than their petrol is the initial price and range, both of which are not relevant to the original poster here at his price point in our small temperate country.

Last edited:
porsche taycan seems to be decent reviews,

where there is a will and all that.

It may do, but there is no question that cutting a few hundred kilos of weight would allow it corner and brake much more effectively.

It may do, but there is no question that cutting a few hundred kilos of weight would allow it corner and brake much more effectively.

Evs brake better actually whatever way the regen is set up but yes agree on cornering

which will come as battery tech improves

If I went PCP route does the 'future value' protect against dinosaur ownership?

PCP doesn't really protect you in that regard. they really give you the option of walking away when the initial (usually 3 year) term is up. The guaranteed minimum value at the end is really just what you will pay if you want to buy the car outright. In many cases the car will often be worth more, but you don't own it until you pay off all finance.

Evs brake better actually whatever way the regen is set up but yes agree on cornering

No, they don't. Traction is the limiting factor that doesn't care about the propulsion method, it all comes down to weight and rate of deceleration. EVs end up needing bigger brakes and increased tyre contact areas to compensate for the negative effects the extra weight have on braking performance.

No, they don't. Traction is the limiting factor that doesn't care about the propulsion method, it all comes down to weight and rate of deceleration. EVs end up needing bigger brakes and increased tyre contact areas to compensate for the negative effects the extra weight have on braking performance.

you were saying that they would brake more effectively, if they are making brakes bigger and increasing tyre contact areas to make sure they are braking as effectively as they need to, then what is your point again?

VW ID3 has brake drums on the rear, make of that what you will.

Back