Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The market peaked in June and had been in decline since - but sellers have panicked. There's no telling them to wait."

As they rushed to buy in a panic, why would they not do likewise when it comes to selling up? This exposes the myth of the carefully managed soft landing.

The market peaked in June and had been in decline since - but sellers have panicked. There's no telling them to wait."

Have to admit I didn't think the market (and sentiment ) would turn so quickly though a market built solely on sentiment was always susceptible I suppose

That is dynamite - one to cut out and keep for the scrap book. The tide is turning now but the speed has certainly taken me by surprise.

Any link to this?

PS Get some sleep

This article in the independent this morning indicates immigration is slowing down and growth in the construction sector is finished.

€1.5m to €1.1m, thats a drop of almost 40%

But not surprising given that rental yields on these places were 2% or less; the fundamentals didn't support the valuations. As a poster on this thread so aptly put it these properties were 'instruments of capital appreciation' and when prices stop going up they fail in that role.

Post of the thread

This is going to be hugely damaging to sentiment. The Irish Times is the most respected broadsheet in Ireland; this will not go unnoticed. I think we can expect another report or press release very soon by vested interests in the property market for damage control on this.

I wonder will anyone be able to get an interview with BoI's economist [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dan McLaughlin to see if this article ties in with his vision of a "soft landing"?[/FONT]

Why thank you Duplex, I do believe that phrase was first coined by myself.

A lot of people were trying to make money while the party lasted - knowing that it couldn't last - but still thinking the bubble had enough momentum to carry them along.

The "I-could-be-Paddy-Last" fear lurking in the back of their minds now moves to the fore and the rush to the exit begins.

The problem now, of course, is that the exit has become very narrow !

Have you ever tried to get out through the letterbox ? I have, and can vouch that it really hurts.

Link to that Irish Times Article this morning (subscription required):
[broken link removed]

Status
Not open for further replies.