Aer Lingus Travel Vouchers

They are waiting for the majority of people to cancel, and opt for a voucher.
If they cancel the flight, you are due a refund.

My theory is, some flights are still showing on EI website, but are not actually operating.
That way, you cant know if a flight was cancelled, and submit a refund claim.
Paris for example - non French people are turned back, so how are flights form Dublin still operating 3 times daily?

Hello,

How far in advance are AL actually cancelling flights, and notifying people of same?

There's no doubt that they need the cash, so are trying to incentivise people to stick with them, by accepting a rescheduled flight, or a voucher worth 110% of the original price paid, and I'm okay with them trying to do this, as long as they ultimately cancel the flights a reasonable time in advance and then, enable refunds for customs who want one.

Hello,

How far in advance are AL actually cancelling flights, and notifying people of same?

There's no doubt that they need the cash, so are trying to incentivise people to stick with them, by accepting a rescheduled flight, or a voucher worth 110% of the original price paid, and I'm okay with them trying to do this, as long as they ultimately cancel the flights a reasonable time in advance and then, enable refunds for customs who want one.
I think we all need to have patience in these extraordinary times. The airlines are battling for their survival. Customers putting pressure on for refunds is counter productive. They need our support and understanding.
This post is not directed at you Mr. Earl but just a general point.

This post is not directed at you Mr. Earl but just a general point.

That's okay Bronte,

I hadn't taken it personally :)

In the interest of full disclosure, I've a flight that's due to go in a couple of weeks time and it's yet to be cancelled.

I've been offered the reschedule or voucher options on three occasions now, which seems a bit OTT.

I think that IAG (AL's parent company) and other PLCs should be raising funds on the markets - be it corporate bonds, new shares or whatever, before dragging their heels on giving people back their money though.

There's also going to have to be consolation in the airline sector, given the various countries can't prop all airlines up, along with all of the other industries that need help. The sooner that this process starts, the better IMHO.

Last edited:
How did get it so fast?! Did you have to claim the refund? I submitted my claim two weeks ago and still nothing.

same situation for me, flights to NYC changed by more than 2 hours. But unlike dishwasher, all I have is a reference number. No sign of refund yet!

According to an article on the independent,
Under EU Regulation 261/2014, passengers whose flights are cancelled must be offered the choice of a refund, to be issued within seven days of the cancellation, or a rebooking.
Obviously seven days is very difficult at moment. My refund request is four weeks at the moment without update.

I just googled it...seems they are:

Is that the same voucher as AL are offering as a substitute for cash refund? I not that is a gift voucher.

Is the voucher exclusive to AL, or can it be used across the IAG group of airlines?

It'll be interesting to see if a "grey market" appears, for these vouchers.

Still waiting for vouchers for March flights that weren't 'cancelled' and for refund for other cancelled flights. Nothing. I know they are under pressure but they seem all over the place - 3 friends on the same March flights got their vouchers 3 weeks ago and I haven't! :(

Still waiting for vouchers for March flights that weren't 'cancelled' and for refund for other cancelled flights. Nothing. I know they are under pressure but they seem all over the place - 3 friends on the same March flights got their vouchers 3 weeks ago and I haven't! :(
I got my voucher last week for a flight on 7 May. I had requested the voucher back in March.
I contacted Aer Lingus twice via Twitter to get some information during the process - might be worth a try?

Hello,

I've been trying to engage with AL over Twitter - a complete waste of time. They'll engage, but give you "I dunno" type answers.

I have, after sending another email threatening formal complaint, got an email apologising for delay and stating I will get the refund in next day or 2. That was for April flight to NYC that was delayed by 3 hours (they refund if schedule changes more than 2).

Still waiting for vouchers for March to NYC flights.

I’m not saying you’re wrong to be annoyed, but I’m waiting on refunds for 5 flights. My view is that it could be towards the end of the year before I see the money and, given the circumstances, I’m okay with that. Ordinarily I’d be annoyed about it but these are unprecedented times. I don’t think it’s reasonable to be chasing the airlines when in some cases they’re fighting for survival. Ryanair are not fighting for survival, but Michael O’Leary said that they normally have 10,000 refunds to process at a given time; they now have 1/4 of the refund processing staff available and 10 million refunds to process. We’re in the middle of a global pandemic and lockdown so I don’t think it’s unreasonable for it to ‘take as long as it takes’.

Yes, I would agree with you Gordon. If they spelt out "we need to spread this out etc. etc. and will refund you within 9 months" I actually wouldn't have too much of a problem. It's the absolute lack of comms that annoys me - and I don't even mean individual communications - they could simply state their position and offer some insight to what the likely scenario is. But there isn't really anything concrete at all - in my case, for the schedule change refund, all they state is

If the change is more than two hours or causes you to miss a connecting flight on the same ticket, you are entitled to a full refund, otherwise the rules of the fare purchased apply.

Not a word about any timeline at all.

And on the vouchers that I am waiting for, a few friends got vouchers for the same flights weeks ago! That's messing!

Back