Aer Lingus Travel Vouchers

I got my refund from Aer Lingus on this months credit card bill. Ryanair offered me vouchers instead of a refund so I took those. Used one the other day for a flight. Their website states they’ve done all the March and April refunds. And are now working on May etc.

I also submitted a request for refund online, quite some time ago. After getting tired of waiting, I contacted them and after a while discovered that I never got a reference number, which you are supposed to get by email shortly after you submit your claim online. They tried to claim that I never requested a refund, despite the fact that I've got evidence to prove that I did.

I then submitted a complaint and this time, I subsequently got an email with referemce number. That was several weeks ago and I've heard nothing since.

I should have done what others have done, contacted my credit card company and have them dispute the payment for me.

AL are proving to be every bit as bad as Ryanair, at this stage.
These are unprecedented times and I think airlines are doing their very best. We need to wait. In the hope that airlines will survive.

Hi Bronte
Was there any problems when using the vouchers . I have one and will use it next year all going well.

Hi Bronte
Was there any problems when using the vouchers . I have one and will use it next year all going well.
I did it just the other day. There was a bit of a weird bit at the end where you had to click yes to pay with the credit card, but that was all. They didn’t ask for the cc Security. We have more left on that voucher. Apparently you get your money back if you don’t use it within the year. Also, very important, the name on the voucher, must be the first name on the voucher. That’s my understanding of it.

Thank you for that information. I did not know about the money back if you do not use it within the year. I should be able to use it next year though.

These are unprecedented times and I think airlines are doing their very best. We need to wait. In the hope that airlines will survive.

Let's not confuse the issues here, please.

It's one thing for us all to acknowledge the difficult times that airlines are going through, but it's another to give them a pass when the are breaking the rules (requirement to refund within 7 days) and treating their customers extremely badly.

Both AL and Ryanair have been strategic, with regards to withholding their customers money. Let there be absolutely no doubt about it. Nonsense excuses about not being able to arrange refunds until all Ryanair staff were back in the office for example, was just plain bull.... given the technical capabilities available to companies etc.

The airlines simply elected to say sod the customers, who cares if they might need their money back (or even just want it back, given its their money!), and eh, sod the EU too, with regards to regulations on this issue. Let's keep all of the money as its cost free working capital, while if we go bust, then the customers will only be unsecured creditors, so no problem for the airlines, or their owners.

Airlines have the ability to raise funds through their traditional lending channels, or the corporate bond market, or to tap up the equity markets (by a rights issue, or simply putting more shares into the market), or to even try various governments for loans or subsidies. All of those things cost the airline owners money, whereas stuffing the customers doesn't cost them a cent and actually helps them. That's the reality of what's been allowed to happen, and its up to the customers to oppose it, if they think its wrong - as I most certainly do.

Last edited:
Michael O’Leary made the point recently that Ryanair normally handle 10,000 refunds a month. Now, with 1/4 of the refund-handling staff available, they’re trying to handle 10 million refunds a month.

While he may be factually correct, that doesn't mean that they couldn't do something significant to improve the time taken to arrange refunds, or increases the number of staff processing the refunds, if Ryanair wanted to.

While he may be factually correct, that doesn't mean that they couldn't do something significant to improve the time taken to arrange refunds, or increases the number of staff processing the refunds, if Ryanair wanted to.

Absolutely

I had a flight booked with Aer Lingus for early June. They informed me in early May that the flight was cancelled I opted for a voucher. I got an acknowledgment for that and I was to get the codes etc in a further email. I just realised recently that I never received the code etc. My husband who was on the same flight but had booked separately has received all his codes since the 11th May. I called them on Friday last and they said I should get the codes etc in the next two weeks. I enquired how was it possible my husband had his codes since 11th May the guy just kept repeating I would get them in the next two weeks. I am not really hopeful as I feel it was a standard reply.

I got fully refunded by charge back on Friday, partially refunded by AL and have remaining amount in claim with travel insurance. Never rains but it pours. I'm gonna wait until remainder received under travel insurance and then return the charge back.

Can anybody shed some light on this query for me please? I requested a refund from Aer Lingus for flights that were cancelled in June by Aer Lingus. I received a partial refund - the price of the flights less the value of a voucher they had given me for a cancelled flight last year. Does anybody know if I should now be due a voucher for the value of the flight last year or is that money lost? Any help greatly appreciated - thanks

I would imagine that they will refund you the voucher part with another voucher.

I cancelled flights with Ryanair that were paid for using a GIFT card. They refunded me, not with cash, but with another gift card.

Unfortunately, they only put a years time limit on the replacement gift card despite the fact that all gift cards must now have a 5 year timeframe in which to use it. The original gift card had been fully spent within the timeframe. It was Ryanair who cancelled my flight.

The CCPC were utterly useless when I contacted them for help. They said that they would look in to it after I pressed them but I have heard absolutely nothing from them.

With such weak consumer protection in Ireland it is no wonder that we are being treated this way by the airlines. Many people were given refunds in different ways.....a year later we still cannot fly but we never hear what is happening to all the vouchers that were given to people last year.

Have a read through this forum....I am sure you will find something about Aer Lingus. Plenty about Ryanair.

I would imagine that they will refund you the voucher part with another voucher.

I cancelled flights with Ryanair that were paid for using a GIFT card. They refunded me, not with cash, but with another gift card.

Unfortunately, they only put a years time limit on the replacement gift card despite the fact that all gift cards must now have a 5 year timeframe in which to use it. The original gift card had been fully spent within the timeframe. It was Ryanair who cancelled my flight.

The CCPC were utterly useless when I contacted them for help. They said that they would look in to it after I pressed them but I have heard absolutely nothing from them.

With such weak consumer protection in Ireland it is no wonder that we are being treated this way by the airlines. Many people were given refunds in different ways.....a year later we still cannot fly but we never hear what is happening to all the vouchers that were given to people last year.

Have a read through this forum....I am sure you will find something about Aer Lingus. Plenty about Ryanair.
Many thanks Soylent Green - I’ll chase the voucher - the service is awful with no replies to e mails but will pursue it as it looks like it wont arrive on its own! Thanks again and will read through - cheers

I received a voucher last year After the cancellation of flights for 6 Family members.I booked the flights but wondering if I can now use the voucher to book for 2 of the party even though I am not traveling. Thanks.

I received a voucher last year After the cancellation of flights for 6 Family members.I booked the flights but wondering if I can now use the voucher to book for 2 of the party even though I am not traveling. Thanks.
You paid for the flights but they were booked in individual names? So each individual had their flights cancelled. Is the voucher refund in your name only?

It’s for my parents and my children so no problem booking flights for them but doI not have to be traveling too? I was traveling initilally with them.

It’s for my parents and my children so no problem booking flights for them but doI not have to be traveling too? I was traveling initilally with them.
The original flights have been cancelled. This is a complete new situation. I would imagine that many people don't have credit cards and get someone else to book for them even though the credit card holder is not travelling? Your voucher is just a payment card?

Back