Women going out in their pyjamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not naieve about how people do indeed rush to judgement, but I think it is important to highlight the flaws in this.

True but if I see a man wearing a gimp mask and PVC being led around on a leash by a woman wearing black leather/PVC and thigh length boots I will probably judge that they are into bondage (or some such derivative).

First impressions are our instinctive subconscious judgement based on our life experience. They should be tempered by rationality and reason but they should not be ignored.

True but if I see a man wearing a gimp mask and PVC being led around on a leash by a woman wearing black leather/PVC and thigh length boots I will probably judge that they are into bondage (or some such derivative).

It's ok Purple. We know you well enough not to judge!

And where, pray tell, would you see such an act? ;)

So why not an office job?
Because it wouldn't generally be appropriate in an office environment. But this thread didn't start out about interviews or work. What they wear on their day off or dropping their kids to school has nothing to do with their ability to do the job?

It's not a silly question. Would you wear a tracksuit into work?
I regularly do - in winter anyway. After my cycle into work, I shower and change. Am I a 'skanger' while I'm cycling, and do I suddenly change into a 'nice person' when I come out of the shower?

suitable appearance is a basic requirement. If they can't even bother to make the effort to look professional, I don't really care what they have to offer job wise no matter if it is a sports centre or mattress shop.
In general, I agree with you - people do need to look professional. But what is professional for a brickie, or a lifeguard, or a surveyor working on site is very different to what is professional for an office worker. A good brickie in baggy jeans with builder's bum showing is still a good brickie.
It is one of the main reasons why schools still have school uniforms rather than allow children wear what they want or dye their hair to whatever colour they want.
I disagree - the main reason schools have uniforms is because it is handy for parents.

I disagree - the main reason schools have uniforms is because it is handy for parents.

I disagree with this - the reason for school uniform is to discourage bullying and/or distraction. With no uniform someone is going to be the best dressed and someone is going to be the worst dressed, causing both the potential for bullying and distractions for other children - put them in a uniform and they are all the same.
It also keeps the herd mentality alive and makes them easier to control - stops them making statements with clothing - although they still do that with hair, bags, shoes etc... (depending on how strict a particular schools policy is).

I dont think the wearing the tracksuit to work comparison is valid - wearing a tracksuit to cycle to work (which I do too) is simply wearing appropriate clothing for the activity you are engaged in. You still change when you get there.

Wearing night attire (and it does happen in D6W btw - Ive seen it) to the shops is wearing inappropriate clothing for the activity you are engaged in. Its appropriate to wear your PJs in your home, at a PJ party, or in your private room in a hotel, b&b etc...
And people who wear inappropriate clothing for the activity they are engaged in are usually socially challenged for one reason or another - they may just be eccentric and not skangers, but seeing as the majority who do it are skangers - people see it and think 'skanger'.

Wearing night attire (and it does happen in D6W btw - Ive seen it) to the shops is wearing inappropriate clothing for the activity you are engaged in. Its appropriate to wear your PJs in your home, at a PJ party, or in your private room in a hotel, b&b etc...
And people who wear inappropriate clothing for the activity they are engaged in are usually socially challenged for one reason or another - they may just be eccentric and not skangers, but seeing as the majority who do it are skangers - people see it and think 'skanger'.
Who gets to decide what is 'appropriate' for going to the shops? In work, the boss decides. But for going to the shops, who put you in charge of deciding appropriateness?

Jamies

This brings me back to when to my good owl student days in the UK! After coming off nightshifts we would head across from the hospital to our rooms to have the obligatory shower and to don our jamies hoping for an undisturbed days sleep. Before hitting the sack, we would head off the hospital grounds to get a few essentials in the grocery shop across the road wearing nothing more than our jamies (shorts & top) and a pair of shoes. And off course then there was the long beige drench coat!

Seems a bit sad that people can't seem to get their heads around the fact that some people might have a different point of view.

I accept you have a different POV. You think PJs are appropriate attire for going to the shops - I dont. But if you think that, you have to accept the consequence of that viewpoint - which is that you will be perceived as a skanger. You dont seem to want to accept that - but its the reality of the situation.

I'm under no illusions as how many people would percieve a situation like this. It's not a case of me not wanting to accept that. It is really a case of;

- I really don't care one whit what people think about what I wear to the shops, and
- It is clear that these perceptions are just plain snobbery.

Wearing pyjamas is really no different from wearing the standard D4 Yummy Drummy uniform of Uggs/Dubes/American Eagle/Abercrombie etc. It's just a fashion thing. I really don't get why people worry about such things.

IMHO those sporting PJs in public are, in general, making a statement that they are lazy, welfare dependent and proud.

Why do guys never do it?

I'm going to give it a go. I'll get a pair of deep purple silk pyjamas, a satin navy blue dressing gown, tweed slippers and waft into my local newsagent smoking a cigar declaring:

"I have inexplicably run short of sun dried tomatoes, be a good girl and help me out"

I'd probably still be a skanger though.

Why do guys never do it?

I'm going to give it a go. I'll get a pair of deep purple silk pyjamas, a satin navy blue dressing gown, tweed slippers and waft into my local newsagent smoking a cigar declaring:

"I have inexplicably run short of sun dried tomatoes, be a good girl and help me out"

I'd probably still be a skanger though.

Now if you could combine the two, that would be making a statement!

the standard D4 Yummy Drummy uniform of Uggs/Dubes/American Eagle/Abercrombie etc. It's just a fashion thing. I really don't get why people worry about such things.

I think the same thing applies to women of a certain age/demographic group all over the country from D4 to D14 to Tullamore to Bantry. As you rightly pointed out such apparel induces certain presumptions by those who see these women. It is reasonable to deduce that they are image aware since they have spent a considerable amount of time getting ready before leaving the house. That would lead people to believe that they have the time for such preparation and so have more free time than some. The thing is that they spend that time looking well and probably make sure their home looks well and that their kids are well turned out. The same deductions cannot be made for those that drop their kids to school in their pyjamas.

It's not just a fashion thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back