Women going out in their pyjamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woops, apologies Complainer, I completely misread that! :eek: Still don't agree with the point you make though! :)

Lots of guys and gals change into their jammies when they get home from work - are they down the 'food chain' from those who change into their trackies?

What has that got to do with people who wear them outside the home, say to the shops or dropping the kids off to school?

What has that got to do with people who wear them outside the home, say to the shops or dropping the kids off to school?
Other posters were drawing relativities between pyjama wearers and trackie wearers, and implying that you are a 'better' person if you wear your trackie instead of your jammies.

I was trying to explore if these posters feel the same relativities apply indoors - are those who wear their trackies at home in the evening considered to be better people than those who wear their jammies? Are those who are wearing their jammies allowed answer the door, or have the neighbours in for a chat while in their night attire?

If I wear loose short pyjama bottoms in summer, am I allowed wear loose shorts outside in summer?

Other posters were drawing relativities between pyjama wearers and trackie wearers, and implying that you are a 'better' person if you wear your trackie instead of your jammies.

Trackies are for doing sports, full stop. You dont wear them around the house or anywhere else.

I was trying to explore if these posters feel the same relativities apply indoors - are those who wear their trackies at home in the evening considered to be better people than those who wear their jammies? Are those who are wearing their jammies allowed answer the door, or have the neighbours in for a chat while in their night attire?

If I wear loose short pyjama bottoms in summer, am I allowed wear loose shorts outside in summer?

There's a level of snobbery underlying opinions on this topic.

The only places I have seen pyjamas worn outside the front door is in Dublin 1 - Buckingham Street & Summerhill, on the way to Croke Park. I believe it unlikely to see someone in Dublin 6W dressed in their pyjamas for the school run, or in a SPAR/CENTRA.

Similarly with tracksuits, you're like to see a greater incidence of same in Penneys, than in Brown Thomas. Unless, of course, it has a 'designer' label in which case it's not really a track suit.

Whether they're 'better people' is an incendiary (or trolling :D) way to 'explore' this topic. In PC speak, such differences reflect 'differing social values'.

You can wear whatever you like :D but you'd be naive to think that people wouldn't judge you (whether they should or shouldn't is a different matter) by your appearance.

a lady called into my local Spar shop wearing her PJ's bottoms on, a t-shirt a sports jacket over the t-shirt and a tweed cap.

A saturday morning at that, she was quite attractive though.

Each to their own...

Why cant women wear whatever they like. People must not have much to worry about when this becomes an issue.

What next .......... Negligees?:D I read somewhere last year that there is a correlation .......... depression/depressed areas and PJs worn as out-of-house clothes.

Sure why bother dress up?
They have no job, their only excursion is to the shops and possibly to walk the kids to school in the morning.
And then watch Oprah in the afternoon.

No job, no goal, nothing to aim for, except for the trek to SW office and then bitch about the queue for their entitlements.

Me, I wear tracksuits around my flat all the time, must be a low life :eek:
After a work day working for da man, I'm glad to get out the shirt and tie though

Interesting views. I know the girl across the road from me who takes her son to school in her pj's definitely works, as does her husband, so I wouldn't say everyone who does it is a total skanger, she normally is well turned out!

Not a trackie person myself but it surely is just down to laziness not to get dressed before leaving the house, and I really think it's a bad signal to give to a child.

It just looks a bit grubby to me, walking round in the clothes you slept in!

I'm not really making any assumptions about the person themselves if I think they're wearing something that makes them look like a skanger. If I wore my pjs to the shop I'd look the exact same. In fact I wear tracksuits quite a bit and people are free to their opinions on how that looks. But my opinion is that this whole PJs outside the house thing screams 'skanger'. They seem happy to wear them and look like a skanger. Aren't there any skangers who don't want to look like a skanger?

Any such judgements say more about the judger than the pyama-wearing judgee.

Perhaps, but people will always make calls on first appearance, it's a natural / instinctive thing to do. If you dress in pj's then that to me is a display of laziness. If you dress in a good quality suit and more importantly wear good shoes, that to me is a display of someone who takes themselves seriously. Of course the former could be some fantastic person who just happens to be sick and urgently needs to pop into the pharmacy for medication and the latter could be a conman, but on the whole / taking averages in account I think it matters

The only places I have seen pyjamas worn outside the front door is in Dublin 1 - Buckingham Street & Summerhill, on the way to Croke Park. I believe it unlikely to see someone in Dublin 6W dressed in their pyjamas for the school run, or in a SPAR/CENTRA.

I'm afraid this is a city wide phenomenon, I would be surprised if it hasn't hit the leafly suburbs of D6W, aka D12.....

I wonder would people react the same if I went to Spar in my jocks, wife beater and slippers. I feel i'd probably be committed to the local nuthouse.

Perhaps, but people will always make calls on first appearance, it's a natural / instinctive thing to do. If you dress in pj's then that to me is a display of laziness. If you dress in a good quality suit and more importantly wear good shoes, that to me is a display of someone who takes themselves seriously. Of course the former could be some fantastic person who just happens to be sick and urgently needs to pop into the pharmacy for medication and the latter could be a conman, but on the whole / taking averages in account I think it matters
I'm not naieve about how people do indeed rush to judgement, but I think it is important to highlight the flaws in this. The pyjama trend is fairly common among female college students in the US too, so the person that is judged to be a 'skanger' could well be a preppy straight-A student doing her Masters here. The good suit/good shoes thing just shows that the wearer is capable of buying (or borrowing) a good suit and good shoes. Anyone who reads anything more into this is a fool. I've seen well-qualified young adults, male and female, obsess over what socks/tie/watch/shoes to wear to interview, while giving little or no thought to what they are going to say at interview.

Clothes don't maketh the man (or woman).

I'm not naieve about how people do indeed rush to judgement, but I think it is important to highlight the flaws in this. The pyjama trend is fairly common among female college students in the US too, so the person that is judged to be a 'skanger' could well be a preppy straight-A student doing her Masters here. The good suit/good shoes thing just shows that the wearer is capable of buying (or borrowing) a good suit and good shoes. Anyone who reads anything more into this is a fool. I've seen well-qualified young adults, male and female, obsess over what socks/tie/watch/shoes to wear to interview, while giving little or no thought to what they are going to say at interview.

Clothes don't maketh the man (or woman).

So you would hire someone with straight A's that turned up for an interview in a tracksuit or a pair of pajamas?

So you would hire someone with straight A's that turned up for an interview in a tracksuit or a pair of pajamas?
If the job was in a sports centre, or a mattress shop, then absolutely. But really, it's a bit of a silly question. Would you hire someone with a lovely suit and shoes who has no idea about the job or organisation?

If the job was in a sports centre, or a mattress shop, then absolutely. But really, it's a bit of a silly question. Would you hire someone with a lovely suit and shoes who has no idea about the job or organisation?

So why not an office job?

It's not a silly question. Would you wear a tracksuit into work? You say people shouldn't pass judgement based on what people wear but suitable appearance is a basic requirement. If they can't even bother to make the effort to look professional, I don't really care what they have to offer job wise no matter if it is a sports centre or mattress shop. It is one of the main reasons why schools still have school uniforms rather than allow children wear what they want or dye their hair to whatever colour they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back