Women going out in their pyjamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wearing pyjamas is really no different from wearing the standard D4 Yummy Drummy uniform of Uggs/Dubes/American Eagle/Abercrombie etc. It's just a fashion thing. I really don't get why people worry about such things.

Is this not the whole point though

If you want people to see you as a "D4 Yummy Drummy" then you will wear the standard uniform of all the stuff you mentioned (never heard of any of them TBH but I'll take your word for it as a man of the world!)

If you want people to see you as a skanger then you will wear the standard uniform of pajamas

is this not the whole point though

if you want people to see you as a "d4 yummy drummy" then you will wear the standard uniform of all the stuff you mentioned (never heard of any of them tbh but i'll take your word for it as a man of the world!)

if you want people to see you as a skanger then you will wear the standard uniform of pajamas

+1

Why do guys never do it?

I'm going to give it a go. I'll get a pair of deep purple silk pyjamas, a satin navy blue dressing gown, tweed slippers and waft into my local newsagent smoking a cigar declaring:

"I have inexplicably run short of sun dried tomatoes, be a good girl and help me out"
You'd get done for smoking in a workplace.
If you want people to see you as a "D4 Yummy Drummy" then you will wear the standard uniform of all the stuff you mentioned (never heard of any of them TBH but I'll take your word for it as a man of the world!)

If you want people to see you as a skanger then you will wear the standard uniform of pajamas
And if you want people to judge you by your actions/words, not your clothes, what do you do?

And if you want people to judge you by your actions/words, not your clothes, what do you do?

Dress normal? I see 100's of people every day. I might judge one based on what they are wearing and it usually because they look like a scanger. The vast majority of people manage to dress themselves in an appropriate way every single day.

I'm with purple on this one, a rare occurance:)

What really amazes me is when I see properly dressed parents out with their teenagers dressed in PJ's.

Shops should just refuse to serve them. How little effort does it take to simply get dressed!!

Dress normal? I see 100's of people every day. I might judge one based on what they are wearing and it usually because they look like a scanger. The vast majority of people manage to dress themselves in an appropriate way every single day.
We're going round in circles now. The question is who gets to decide what is 'normal' or what is 'appropriate'? Is an orange-faced fake-tanned-to-within-an-inch-of-her-life normal? Is a label-freak who can't wear anything that doesn't have a Tommy/Ralph Lauren/A&F logo on it normal? Are the flares and wide collars of the 70's normal (I see one guy younger than me dressed something like John Travolta out of Night Fever regularly). Is it normal to judge that wearers of Converse runners are cool and wearers of Nike runners are 'skangers', even though Nike own Converse?

We're going round in circles now. The question is who gets to decide what is 'normal' or what is 'appropriate'? Is an orange-faced fake-tanned-to-within-an-inch-of-her-life normal? Is a label-freak who can't wear anything that doesn't have a Tommy/Ralph Lauren/A&F logo on it normal? Are the flares and wide collars of the 70's normal (I see one guy younger than me dressed something like John Travolta out of Night Fever regularly). Is it normal to judge that wearers of Converse runners are cool and wearers of Nike runners are 'skangers', even though Nike own Converse?

What do you think ;)

Society decides what is normal and what isnt.

PJ's are for wearing in bed, simple as. Thats what they are designed for, thats what they are made for, thats what they are sold for.

On a side note, Americans and "Europeans" dont understand why we wear "track suits" even though we are clearly not playing any sports. The wearing of tracksuits is reserved for people playing sports only, American and "european" society has decided that, but Irish society has allowed tracksuits to be an every day thing.

I cant believe i'm agreeing with Purple on this one :)

This is where the anonymity of the internet is great. No accents, no desinger clothes, no book covers by which to judge people.

I'm the same person posting as when I'm at work or at home or now, sitting in my Y-fronts down the local internet cafe!

Complainer, would you be happy to go shopping with a PJ wearing family member or would you prefer they got dressed before you went out with them?

Would it be OK for someone caring for someone with a disability to bring them to the shops in their night clothes? If one of your work colleagues turned up tomorrow without bothering to get dressed would that be OK?

Or is it one rule for them (the pyjama wearers) and another for the rest of us?

Is it normal to judge that wearers of Converse runners are cool and wearers of Nike runners are 'skangers', even though Nike own Converse?

Nike runners are for skangers? Really!? I didn't know that. Thanks Complainer.

Any other fashion tips?

You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder about people who wear expensive clothes or are very brand aware.

Society decides what is normal and what isnt.
So is there no society in Sherrif St or Ballyfermot or other areas where pyjama wearing is fairly common?
PJ's are for wearing in bed, simple as. Thats what they are designed for, thats what they are made for, thats what they are sold for.
So leather jackets are designed for motor bike wearers, and baseball caps are designed for baseball players, and wellies are designed for farmers. But all these items are worn as fashion too.

On a side note, Americans and "Europeans" dont understand why we wear "track suits" even though we are clearly not playing any sports. The wearing of tracksuits is reserved for people playing sports only, American and "european" society has decided that, but Irish society has allowed tracksuits to be an every day thing.
This is rubbish. They are quite fond of their 'sweats' in the US, and the UK are way ahead of us in the trackie league. One of the things I notice when there are TV reports of uprisings in Kryghistan (sp?) or similar places is that you often see the same branded tracksuits that are being worn in Dublin.
Complainer, would you be happy to go shopping with a PJ wearing family member or would you prefer they got dressed before you went out with them?

Would it be OK for someone caring for someone with a disability to bring them to the shops in their night clothes? If one of your work colleagues turned up tomorrow without bothering to get dressed would that be OK?

Or is it one rule for them (the pyjama wearers) and another for the rest of us?
Let's leave out work situations. Many work situations have dress codes or even uniforms, and I've no problem with that. Honestly, yes, I'd be uncomfortable going shopping with someone in their PJs, just as I'd be uncomfortable going shopping with someone in their Goth gear, or going shopping with someone in their biker leathers. In fact, I just don't like going shopping, but that's another day's work.

I really don't understand why people get so upset about the pyjama thing. I don't think there are any plans to make it compulsory. If you wanna wear them, wear them. If you don't, then don't.

Nike runners are for skangers? Really!? I didn't know that. Thanks Complainer.

Any other fashion tips?
This really shows how ludicrous many of these 'rules' are. Who decides?

Im surprised no one has mentioned the hygiene aspect of PJ wearing in public.

Its like a statement of 'i havent washed today, in fact, I havent even changed out of the garments I slept and sweated in while I was sleeping last night'.

I see people in goth, punk, leathers etc... and I know at least, they bothered getting changed out of what they slept in (unless they are particularly rumpled I suppose!), and I know they are using their clothes to make a statement about the music/lifestyle they are into.

I see someone in PJs in public and the lifestyle statement screams 'dirty smelly lazy skanger'.

Im surprised no one has mentioned the hygiene aspect of PJ wearing in public.

Its like a statement of 'i havent washed today, in fact, I havent even changed out of the garments I slept and sweated in while I was sleeping last night'.

I see people in goth, punk, leathers etc... and I know at least, they bothered getting changed out of what they slept in (unless they are particularly rumpled I suppose!), and I know they are using their clothes to make a statement about the music/lifestyle they are into.

I see someone in PJs in public and the lifestyle statement screams 'dirty smelly lazy skanger'.

A huge +1.

It sceams lazy, smelly, i cant be bothered with life attitude. There is a certain area around Dublin 01 nick named Pyjama Row. IMO you cannot defend wearing PJ's in public.

^^ +1 What he said. It think that post sums up the general feeling of most of the non-PJ wearing population when faced with a PJ wearer in a public place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back