"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is.

I was down there last week and the surface is finished & marked and lights are in. The walkway to the apartments & duplex units is finished with railing also.

They had some pipes covering the entrance but this can be moved in about 10 minutes.

Hi,

Does anyone know if and when the completion notices will be issued to our solicitors for block 4?

thanks

steveyd said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if and when the completion notices will be issued to our solicitors for block 4?

thanks

Spoke to SF today and "hopefully early next week" direct quote
Builders on their holidays from the 21 so it would want to be early next week to be in with any chance of getting in before August.
But was on the site last week and things look hopeful

I've been told "next week" for the last 3 weeks. Plus, if you get in to snag next week, you won't be moving in any time soon unless you've nothing you want fixing - who's going to be around to fix it with everyone on holidays?

If they come out after Wednesday not a chance but the feed back from blocks 1,2 and 3 is that the finish is good and not to much to fix after snagging
Its a longshot but fingers crossed.
I would perfer to have the snag done before the go on their holidays even if they do not work on it, better than having to wait another two weeks when they get back

In terms of the snag - in our unit in block 3 there was not much to do - the finish around the bath and things like that and it was done within a week so they are very good.

I was out on the site just after 7pm yesterday evening. Managed to have a look in at some of the apartments (only thru the window) that are finished but as of yet unoccupied, I'm sure it was Block 3. They look nice, kitchens look well BUT I couldn't believe how small the 2nd bedroom was, I was finding it hard to imagine how you would fit a single bed in there never mind anything else. Anyone who bought a ground floor in Block 3, are they all 2 beds or are any of them 1 bed apartments and more interesting for me is what square footage are your apartments?

Optimism was not well placed August completion at this stage I hope I am in before Christmas

Re: 2 beds without dishwasher

Hi all,
I was informed by foreman about having no dishwasher during my first visit about two weeks ago (Block 5 Apt 40). Is there anyone else in Block 5 with 2 bed apt that could confirm whether they are getting one? I wasnt that annoyed at first, but to be honest, if someone else has bought in the same phase as me and is getting one for no other reason than they happen to be in next door, I wont be very happy. That said, can the kitchen units really be changed at this stage?

Been in to see apts and in general, development looks great. However, kitchen design is quite poor:

- Boiler unit should have been placed elsewhere. The need for a certain amount of airspace between it and it's press walls and doors has resulted in an out-sized press, which makes the kitchen units look like a bloody lego set. There is always a solution, one should have been found.
- Stand-alone fridge-freezer came into play as a result of boiler location. Makes what would have been an open area to the kitchen look cluttered and blocks light from kitchen door.
- Sink & draining board unit extending into living area is plain wrong. The argument that regulations do not permit cupboards over sinks is either incorrect or other developers are breaking the law. Kitchens in other developments are fitted into a similar area (without the need for such an extension) with overhead cupboards above all units, including sink.
- Granting the extra cupboard space acquired (as a result of extension into living area and press under boiler unit where fridge would/should have gone) and still not fitting a dishwasher? Informing buyers at the time of the design, with the option of having plumbing & d/washer installed in press under boiler would have been customer friendly. Stating "That's the way it is" after kitchen unit installation is not really helpful.

Looking forward to moving in to lovely apt - however cannot overlook fact that kitchen design is poor. Will cost a lot of money to change.

Kilns4life, can't believe what I just read in your thread - extending the sink & draning area into your livingroom area, what a sham, whole kitchen sounds like a disaster zone. I'm really half afraid of what to expect, instead of looking forward to getting my place, I now feel only anxiety. What block are you?

It depends on whether you are bothered by the things I described in my first post.

When I say extends, I am not trying to alarm you, but it's about half meter into living area (might be width of washing machine which is approx 650cm I think). I'm just annoyed because I think it could have been designed better based on what I've seen elsewhere.

There are numerous things I would've done differently in the apartment, but because the way the market is for the last few years, you do not seem to be able to request any changes. Therefore, you have to rely on the design that is being implemented for all. Make up your own mind when you see the kitchen for yourself.

That's shocking about your kitchen kilns4life. It musn't be the norm, ive been in a few of the units and none of them had that layout.

We have the same layout on our apt (2 bed, block 5). To be honest, the counter extending out didnt bother me too much, I reckon when the kitchen floor tiles are down itll look better. Totally agree though, kitchen design has let the apt down, fridge in particular (stuck in the middle of nowhere, yet still they didnt manage to fit a dishwasher!)
At this stage though, Id settle for them just finishing it!

I called out to the site yesterday morning. One of the guys from the site office let me get access to a ground floor apartment in Block 3 (he was both helpful and extremely pleasant). The apartment was gorgeous, really great finish to the kitchen, bathroom. internal cherry doors look really nice. It was also cleaned up very well, I presume the tenants will be moving in to same this week. Hope mine looks as well as this when it is finished, I was really impressed by what I seen yesterday.

i've the same probs with the two bed kitchen - room is proportionately much smaller than say the space given to the bathroom and bedrooms, then to have a kitchen unit protruding out into the living area, & no dishwasher !! very disappointed

I've just noticed on Bord Pleanala's website that the gates appeal won't be decided now until 18th August (they had originally said today)

[broken link removed]

Hi,
Was down at the kilns on Saturday morning – only a few workers on site. Had a look at the ground floor 2 bed in block 6. They have the windows and external doors up but nothing else. No internal doors, plasterboard, fixtures or fittings. Looks like it will be some time until this section is finished.

The car park is finished and was open however there didn’t seem to be a lot of spaces in it – around 60 I think. I know there are some above ground spaces but I can see there being some major congestion when it comes to parking.

Got a mail from sherry fitz this morning, see below – from the history of this development I cant see block 6 closing this side of Christmas.

“Thank you for your email. Currently block 3 is closing. Block 4 is due to close in August with 5 in September. The latest completion for block 6 is October.
This is unfortunately subject to change. If you want to contact me again in September I might have a better idea at that stage.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back