The Cloyne Report & the Vatican.

I see that some scumbag priest who has been abusing kids for years -as was well known by his superiors- got two years for raping a young girl (plus four suspended).

Lucky for Father McGennis he didnt try to steal an ATM -that got some lads in Kerry six years this week.

I thought that perhaps the most vicious and ad hominem part of the speech was where he lambasted a quote (which he took out of context) from a 1992 paper by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. The ironic thing is that Benny was a supporter of Adolf in his youth.

Duke I don't think Kenny needed to add that (mis)quote and I don't think the Pope's record in the Hitler Youth is particularly relevant to this issue. Other than the idiot priest raised the whole Hitler thing. The Vatican did enough to be hanged out to dry on it's own grounds.

Duke I don't think Kenny needed to add that (mis)quote and I don't think the Pope's record in the Hitler Youth is particularly relevant to this issue. Other than the idiot priest raised the whole Hitler thing. The Vatican did enough to be hanged out to dry on it's own grounds.

Agreed.

That was what was amusing. Here's this parish priest making a play for promotion by comparing his boss' attacker to Hitler, when the boss was actually a great fan of said Fuhrer.:D

You seem to be fixated on this point :confused: At the time he was enrolled in the Hilter youth it was compulsoroy under law. He was then forcibly enrolled as a guard in the Lutwaffe where he deserted. What did you expect him to do, go on a one man crusade against the Nazi regime in the heartland of Nazi fanaticism where he lived??

I'm no fan of the church/ Vatican actions but these claims that he was a "fan of said fuhrer' are illinformed.

I was an altar boy at one stage; by your logic i'm also a supporter or the churches cover ups now. the hitler youth was comparable to someone joining the boy scouts today.

That was what was amusing. Here's this parish priest making a play for promotion by comparing his boss' attacker to Hitler, when the boss was actually a great fan of said Fuhrer.:D

The reality is that 90% of Germans in their 80s and beyond were probably members of some element of the Nazi party. Same probably applies to large chunks of Italy, but that doesn't mean they were supporters of Hitler or Mussolini, it was just the done thing at the time. Your clueless obsession with all things Nazism brings very little to this debate and is getting rather tedious

A coward as well, are there no depths to this man?:(

I've never read such nonsense in such a short sentance given the context of this discussion. He was forced to work as a guard in the luftwaffe at a BMW factory then in hungary where he saw first hand what was happening to the Jewsih people there. (their own government was shipping them out before you take off on another tangent)
He then deserted and returned to his home in Bavaria. To do so was nearly a death sentance as he lived in the heartland of Nazi Germany, not far from Hitlers retreat at berchtesgaden. if found; those who didn't support the Nazi party and war effort in this area were severely dealt with.

Edit: I note the way you've edited my quoted to say "He enrolled" rather than what I had actually (factually) written :
"He was forcibly enrolled"

bullbars - if you read the Duke's posts you will realise he has several veins of humnour. In one of those veins (I think he has a few) he uses sarcasm to get across a message that covertly says something different from what the casual reader sees.

For example, Duke's post about the Pope's cowardice is mocking those who harp on about the Pope's supposed wartime backrground.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have previously called for a "root and branch" examination of every parish, every Diocese and Archidiocese instead of this drip feed of information.

These "reports" are clearly being managed for the benefit of the Catholic Church.

This is a continuation of Bertie Ahern's Agenda and is a disgrace.

Well, according to my own (good decent Proddy) church there has been a small but growing number of lapsed RCs who now attend- which is more than i do.

Frankly, I can't understand why the CofI or other churches don't properly advertise themselves whether in the papers or ,if short of money, on those notices outside the churches - "your child is safe here" " No Popery or buggery here" or other catchy slogans.

Paedophiles are known to seek positions of employment that place them in positions of authority or proximity regarding kids.
I doubt that any religion that requires its ministers to practice chastity and will be immune from this problem.

In Éire fadó, parents pushed their into jobs they were unsuited for, such as ordinary red-blooded young men becoming chaste priests, or big ignorant bullies joining the Gardaí.
Bear in mind that this would be the fifties and sixties, where such stereotypes would have held true.

The ranks of "genuine" paedophiles were bolstered by normal men who feared slaking their lust with adults in case they reported the breach of trust and were believed by their community.
They chose instead to prey on children whom they thought would be easier to control and discredit.

Its quite a cynical, manipulative sort of approach to preying on the most vulnerable.

You'd have to wonder why so many of us (not me any longer I can tell you)

(1) still go to a Catholic church
(2) put money in the collection box.

I dont either but I know plenty of good people that do. I refuse to condemn them for it. The ordinary catholics are not to blame for the disgusting failure of the Church just like bank customers are not responsible for the failure of banks and voters are not responsible for the failures of politicians.

A picture is painted of utter cluelessness on a national scale - how can that be supported?

The people who knew about the abuse and kept silent, the police who sat on the reports from the health boards and took no action, and the "ordinary catholics", those members of the public who dismissed the children's cries for help were all members of the Catholic Church.

They were directly responsible, and those who knew only rumour of the abuse and did nothing were only slightly absolved from blame.
It was such a serious allegation that it should have been investigated and the evasions of the priests seen for what they were - lies.

Even a brief review of the history of the Catholic Church reveals an inward turned Patriarchy mired in corruption, vice, cruelty, politics, murder and genocide.
Such people, like any we raise into positions of authority, need watching, not exalting or excusing.

Give me a break. The 80 year old woman going to mass was not covering up sexual assault of children just like 99% of the church going population. I got the end of the Christian brothers experience and while nothing serious happened me, I can for 100% state state that I was taught my a pedophile. I dont blame my patents for this. They had no way to know. The ******* died shortly after but I hate to think of the people he taught before me.

I dont either but I know plenty of good people that do. I refuse to condemn them for it. The ordinary catholics are not to blame for the disgusting failure of the Church just like bank customers are not responsible for the failure of banks and voters are not responsible for the failures of politicians.

Yes but shouldn't the ordinary catholics be sending a message to the vatican in the only language they respect, i.e. footfall + cash, by abstaining from mass? Thus forcing the church to sit up and take notice and maybe, just maybe implement some real reform.

If it was a non-religious organisation there is no way ordinary people would continue to attend meetings and donate money.

Back