Sit In at the Passport Office

Change jam factory to whatever example of someone who earns 25k a year, if it makes you feel better,its called an example.

Evidence/backup please,of where you can point out I believe all I read and hear about? Or have you just made that up?

In case you have missed my posts, I will repeat, I have been a public servant, I have seen this behavior at first hand, I saw the dosing,time wasting ,making phone calls,on the internet,being rude,being millitant, not prepared to do anything over and above what is required,throwing spanners in the works etc, and not caring as they wouldn't be sacked.

Just to make it even more clearer for you,I do not appreciate this type of behavior.

I haven't a clue about what exactly?

In my working life I have often found that confrontational language is often used by those who are losing an argument.

I am not losing any arguement here because I am not having one. I am having a discussion about certain topics that I am highly proud of and I will not let anyone put me down.

I agree that there is comprehensive legislation in place to protect employees rights , the introduction of such legislation was often done after consultation with unions or in many cases union driven.

However in cases like the current Public Sector impasse where employees feel that they have been unfairly treated by having pay cuts unilaterally imposed on them then no amount of the aforementioned legislation is going to enable them redress the situation - enter the unions !

You miss my point - unions did indeed play a role in establishing fundamental rights for workers; although, they were not the only drivers of change. However, today, they generally do more harm than good. We cannot afford the current PS infrastructure, as revenue has dropped by over €20 billion. The unions would have us believe that the following principles should apply to the PS:
- No compulsory redundancy amongst permanent employees - I say, why not? why the heck should one sector of society be immune to something that is a very real part of life in the private sector
- No pay cuts - why not? income in the private sector is declining - even for the low paid employees (pay cuts, part-time working, loss of overtime, elimination of bonuses, reductions in commission etc)
- Ongoing access to hugely expensive pensions - Why? Most private sector worker pension schemes are in crisis.

The PS unions answer is essentially, to give 'two-fingers' to the rest of society - ignoring the fact that protecting their interests at all costs, will directly and indirectly destroy the competitiveness of the Irish economy, which in turn will destroy more private sector jobs. So, I'm sick of the pious platitudes of union reps, and their heartfelt declarations in favor of social justice - they have become mere vested interest groups, determined to ride rough shod over the lives of others, if it advances the agenda of members.

It would be standard in any union recognition agreement between a union and an employer that the union reps would be given some time off for training/attending meetings and conferances.

Which is why I'd never work in a unionised company. The idea that an employer should have to pay a union rep while off on union business is like them having to train someone to steal from them. As a shareholder in a business I'd rather close it than have to deal with a union. Thankfully my views are shared by all of the other employees.

Back