Sit In at the Passport Office

Regarding the rate of pay of low paid clerical officers;

Say If I work in a jam factory at 18 years of age and I put the jars in a box and put sellotape on the box and for this I get 25k a year,lots of days leave, a union that is militant, a pension to die for and I cant be sacked,

Then 18 years later at the age of 36 Im on the factory floor still putting jars in a box and putting sellotape on the box as I have been for the last 18 years,why oh why would I expect to get any more that the original 25k ,(taking into account that 25k may be 36k ,18 years later.)

Also why should I get promoted ,ahead of someone who comes into the job and does a great job and moves onto putting the jam in the jars ,while I insist Im there the longest and I should get a promotion.

Billstruth you say;

I thought you were on a WTR?

Why then would you be covering absent staff?
Well you see the work that I do comes from a general 'pool' of work that the collective of clerical officers work from. The work still has to be done regardless of the amount of staff that we have.

In other words, the work to rule doesn't apply when its for your colleagues getting a day off?

People are just doing their job the same way they always did. If someone was off and one of their duties had to be done urgently, it would be done.

Same applies in the Private Sector , I always received special leave to attend Union conferences.

Indeed leave was also granted for training courses for union representatives.

Par for the course in unionised workplaces whether in the public or private sectors.

So you can manage without the extra staff?

If they are just doing their job the same way they always did,what happens to the work that the people who are off at the conference are supposed to be doing?

It seems there is quite a lot of them there, therefore theres a lot of work not being done,right?

I am genuinely asking this question as its quite alarming that so many can take time off ,leave so much work to be done,surely this will add to the backlog and call for more overtime?

Deiseblue;

I cant imagine going into superquinn when most of the staff are on leave,nor would I imagine that they would allow this to happen,especialy if they were way behind on their orders.

According to Bill struth they all get this time off. How can a department manage if they all get this day off? do they close the office?

Another poster said its just the union reps who get the day off?

Deiseblue;

I cant imagine going into superquinn when most of the staff are on leave,nor would I imagine that they would allow this to happen,especialy if they were way behind on their orders.

According to Bill struth they all get this time off. How can a department manage if they all get this day off? do they close the office?

You really do have a bee in your bonnet don't you?

What I said was, the people at the conference get the day off. It amounts to just a few people from each union branch, not an entire office as you put it.

Sorry , should have clarified that , I was a union district rep and as such delegated to attend the annual conference and on request by the union was granted leave by my employer as were my fellow delegates.

Thanks for clarification,I was genuinely confused.

Fair play to the employers for facilitating the delegates.:)

What about the privilege day.............
Will they close Tuesday or Thursday?
Or skeleton crew on both days?

Good Friday is a privilege day. I remember reading years ago that a lot of the CS offices were not opened on the following Tuesday so as to allow all the SC from the country to attend the easter mass etc.

Deiseblue;

It would be standard in any union recognition agreement between a union and an employer that the union reps would be given some time off for training/attending meetings and conferances. If Superquinn workers are members of Mandate then you can be sure their union reps will have this time off with their employers consent

They get a days leave to attend the conference, but overtime? Come on, stick to the facts.

I am sticking to the facts thank you very much. In 1 organisation I knew of, staff got travel overtime for going to union meetings/lrc meetings etc.
And managers really knew when the meetings were completed so if they lasted a couple of hours only, off home you go and claim your cople of overtime hours anyway. FACT

Fact; its the same with hospital porters who are sent to the shops for the staff and clients...takes a really really long time.....

Regarding the rate of pay of low paid clerical officers;

Say If I work in a jam factory at 18 years of age and I put the jars in a box and put sellotape on the box and for this I get 25k a year,lots of days leave, a union that is militant, a pension to die for and I cant be sacked,

Then 18 years later at the age of 36 Im on the factory floor still putting jars in a box and putting sellotape on the box as I have been for the last 18 years,why oh why would I expect to get any more that the original 25k ,(taking into account that 25k may be 36k ,18 years later.)

Also why should I get promoted ,ahead of someone who comes into the job and does a great job and moves onto putting the jam in the jars ,while I insist Im there the longest and I should get a promotion.

So you are comparing the work of lower paid public servants to someone working in a Jam Factory, putting jars into a box?

Is that how little you actually really appreciate the work of the public service? Is that the extent of your knowledge of the work a public servant does?

You really havnt a clue then do you? but you will accept and believe all you read about and hear as the complete truth. This has just made my day!! Thank you :)

Change jam factory to whatever example of someone who earns 25k a year, if it makes you feel better,its called an example.

Evidence/backup please,of where you can point out I believe all I read and hear about? Or have you just made that up?

In case you have missed my posts, I will repeat, I have been a public servant, I have seen this behavior at first hand, I saw the dosing,time wasting ,making phone calls,on the internet,being rude,being millitant, not prepared to do anything over and above what is required,throwing spanners in the works etc, and not caring as they wouldn't be sacked.

Just to make it even more clearer for you,I do not appreciate this type of behavior.

I haven't a clue about what exactly?

In my working life I have often found that confrontational language is often used by those who are losing an argument.

Back