Sit In at the Passport Office

"....Addressing the conference, General Secretary Blair Horan apologised to members of the public affected by the industrial action.However, he said he would not apologise to anyone for the legitimate action they were taking."

I'm confused.

I think the word is collateral damage Firefly. Hes sorry public are caught in crossfire as he sees it between them and the government. What he doesnt acknowledge is that if they get their way, public end up paying too.

How come these delegates weren't at work? ;) Looks like a lot of them from the photo..

in the 'public' service, there's a lot of union meetings, overtime for travel to them etc which are all covered for by the taxpayers

in the 'public' service, there's a lot of union meetings, overtime for travel to them etc which are all covered for by the taxpayers
They get a days leave to attend the conference, but overtime? Come on, stick to the facts.

Maybe not overtime - but an allowance of some sort I'd venture?

Why, I have no idea.

Oh My GOD.. they get a days leave to attend a conference!

How many of them get this ?

How many of those who got the days leave actually attended?

How was their work covered while they were on this days leave?

Last edited:
Maybe not overtime - but an allowance of some sort I'd venture?

Why, I have no idea.
A days leave is what they get, it seems to be a long standing arrangment with the dept of finance. Any allowance they get comes from the union. There was talk of the government withdrawing leave for union business because of the industrial action, but nothing concrete as yet.

:eek: Uh oh.

So separating fact from fiction we now have at least two PS/CS weird perk types of leave utterly confirmed: Union conference & christmas shopping.

I wonder how many more there are? :D

Oh My GOD.. they get a days leave to attend a conference!
Aye.
How many of them get this ?
All.
How many of those who got the days leave actually attended?
All
How was their work covered while they were on this days leave?
Due to vacant posts not being filled we're kinda used to covering for absent staff, so don't be getting yourself too upset!:) You're concern is appreciated though.

So separating fact from fiction we now have at least two PS/CS weird perk types of leave utterly confirmed: Union conference & christmas shopping. I wonder how many more there are? :D

Some semi-states had privilege days a few years ago. I was never clear on what they were for or how they worked.

They do have to apply for this union leave and it has been refused in some cases. Only shop stewards can apply for it - I can't for example. If I want to attned the conference I can but it will come out of my own leave. Which is fine cos I get loads.

:eek: Uh oh.

So separating fact from fiction we now have at least two PS/CS weird perk types of leave utterly confirmed: Union conference & christmas shopping.

I wonder how many more there are? :D
Shocking isn't it?! I'm here 7 years and I haven't claimed a single minute for union business!

I take my half day shopping leave though! I like to look on it as my big fat christmas bonus!

I don't think so. I remember looking at the salary scales from Grade III to grade VII when benchmarking was being awarded. The percentage increase the grades got in the bechmarking incremented according to the grade. I don't have the old scales now but a grade III got something like 3% whereas a grade VII got 5%. After than the increases were the same be it 1 or 2% etc.

Pensioners who retire from 2011 will have pension based on the lower scale.

Becky, I was not refering to the benchmarking awards but the national pay deals for public and (some) private sector workers.
My point was that when the government had the money everyone got the same % pay increase, but now that they have to cut pay they are staggering the cuts. I think it would be fairer if everyone go the same percentage cut.

Alternatively , they could have reversed benchmarking but as the increases ranged from 2 to 25%, they would never do that.

What about the privilege day.............
Will they close Tuesday or Thursday?
Or skeleton crew on both days?

No Good Friday.......all government offices are closed as they are every year.

The other days i know nothing of..........BUT the privilege day can be taken any time from Holy Thursday for a month.....so not every one would take those days mentioned.

Billstruth you say;
Due to vacant posts not being filled we're kinda used to covering for absent staff, so don't be getting yourself too upset! You're concern is appreciated though.

I thought you were on a WTR?

Why then would you be covering absent staff?

Back