Public Service Attitudes.

However, what's the point? You continually ask for examples to back up poster's assertions, even when examples have been widely published and are common knowledge. When linked examples are posted you ignore them and move on to the next circular argument, obfuscating issues and hiding behind a pretence that "there's nothing to see here people, move on".
Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with this. But if this was happening, wouldn't the best solution be to repeatedly hammer me with specific and detailed examples to back up the wild, generalised claims?

Yes. But playing whack-a-mole isn't a terribly enjoyable pastime. I get the impression that if i said it was currently raining outside you'd want a paper trail a mile long before you'd consider the possibility.

Many of the examples have been widely documented and only someone who wanted to pretend it wasn't would say otherwise.

Yes. But playing whack-a-mole isn't a terribly enjoyable pastime. I get the impression that if i said it was currently raining outside you'd want a paper trail a mile long before you'd consider the possibility.
I've told you a thousand times not to exaggerate.

In fairness, DonDub listed a pile of examples. I asked him to be specific about the three cases that could be detailed without identifying any individual. Is that really too much to ask?

Would you now accept that the point raised by johnd regarding the picketing of hospices was valid?

'The RTE News tonight mentioned about a family member visiting at Our Lady's Hospice in Harolds Cross coming down to the picket line to offer them his support'.

That was a quote from some SIPTU offical at the hospice. Of course he's going to say that. To see him and his members grinnning for the cameras was disgusting. What kind of people would picket people dying of cancer. What kind of person would leave their dying relative to join a bunch of SIPTU picketers who are depriving that relative of care? I don't think so, thats just a spin put out by the union because they are or should be ashamed of themselves. The same as those who picketed special schools for the disabled or those with learning difficulties or those who picketed facilities for old people. What kind of people are these?
Ah I see. Anything that doesn't suit your personal agenda is dismissed as a lie. I've just replayed the clip ([broken link removed]) and I don't see any grinning from Tommy Morris (IMPACT, not SIPTU) or any of the staff picketing the Hospice, but feel free to make up other wild allegations. Some of them might just stick.

Hospice patients very 'distressed' by picket

Complainer said:
No picket would ever try and block relatives visiting a hospital - that suggestion shows how little you actually understand about pickets. No patient, cancer or otherwise, went without essential pain relief yesterday. As was the case in the Mater, many of the picketing staff were off-duty staff, showing support for their working colleagues inside.

"Regrettably, members of the IMPACT and SIPTU unions impeded access to our care facilities and their industrial action led to the closure of our community reablement, pharmacy and therapy services alongside seriously curtailing our ability to care for our remaining patients.

The Indo article isn't all that clear. The CEO says she has no problem with any of the staff's actions, but she has a problem with the picket. Well, the people picketing are her staff. There is no comment from any patients or relatives or patient representatives groups. There is nothing in the body of the article that justifies the headline claim that 'patients were very distressed'. The CEO seems to be suggesting that there should be no picket, and I don't see any justification for that.
A calm and dignified picket does not in itself cause distress to anyone.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "Relatives were deprived of essential supports and facilities" - perhaps there may be a case to review what supports and facilities are available if required.

The CEO says she has no problem with any of the staff's actions, but she has a problem with the picket. Well, the people picketing are her staff.
Ms Flynn praised the members of two unions, the [broken link removed] and the [broken link removed], who continued to provide care.
She added: "I am asking you to use your influence on the leaderships of IMPACT and SIPTU to ensure there is no repeat of the obstruction by picket groups next Thursday when they are engaging in further industrial action.
Some unions worked. Others picketed. I'm not sure how many IMPACT or SIPTU members would work in a hospice, I would have thought the majority of employees would be INO or IMO members. The quote, and implication, seems pretty clear to me.

Some unions worked. Others picketed. I'm not sure how many IMPACT or SIPTU members would work in a hospice, I would have thought the majority of employees would be INO or IMO members. The quote, and implication, seems pretty clear to me.
I know SIPTU represents a pile of nurses - not sure about IMPACT, perhaps these are the non-qualified care staff.

For me, the biggest problem with the PS is that nobody gets fired (well, extremely rare and you really have to do something bad). I think this is the key point. Useless people get 'moved on' but it is very very difficult to fire someone - the union protection is partly to blame for this.

As Howitzer also said, whats the point?
If there are only two utility companies for example,well it has to be one or the other..dont see what difference it makes apart from a diversion away from the main issue...

As Howitzer also said, whats the point?
If there are only two utility companies for example,well it has to be one or the other..dont see what difference it makes apart from a diversion away from the main issue...
The point is that it allows the claims to be verified. This isn't me in denial. Before I ask for verification, I've no idea whether these claims will stand up or not. So if I was argueing tactically, it could be a huge mistake for me to ask for verification. The old lawyers line of 'never ask a question that you don't know the answer to' springs to mind.

By giving information that the utility was Bord Gais, no-one gets exposed or fired, no confidentialities are breached, and the €500 charge can be verified as correct (see [broken link removed]). Now, is the charge good/bad/indifferent - I really don't know enough about gas meters to comment. I don't know how many people you would typically need. I don't know if this charge is regulated by the CER. I can see that Bord Gais is open and direct about requiring all of the excavation works to be done for them, so DonDub's little dig about the building doing most of the work isn't relevant.

So now, wouldn't it be nice to get equivalent answers to my other queries?

The point is that it allows the claims to be verified. This isn't me in denial. Before I ask for verification, I've no idea whether these claims will stand up or not. So if I was argueing tactically, it could be a huge mistake for me to ask for verification. The old lawyers line of 'never ask a question that you don't know the answer to' springs to mind.

By giving information that the utility was Bord Gais, no-one gets exposed or fired, no confidentialities are breached, and the €500 charge can be verified as correct (see [broken link removed]). Now, is the charge good/bad/indifferent - I really don't know enough about gas meters to comment. I don't know how many people you would typically need. I don't know if this charge is regulated by the CER. I can see that Bord Gais is open and direct about requiring all of the excavation works to be done for them, so DonDub's little dig about the building doing most of the work isn't relevant.

So now, wouldn't it be nice to get equivalent answers to my other queries?

No it wouldnt,as I and anyone else who has had to have a meter moved will have had to go to the companies involved to get a price as no one else is allowed move them!!

I understand dondubs post to say that the amount of work involved was minimal and did not justify a 500 euro charge,but that there was no choice but to pay it!

Totally agree with earlier posters view about the quicksand..

Last edited:
No it wouldnt,as I and anyone else who has had to have a meter moved will have had to go to the companies involved to get a price as no one else is allowed move them!!

I understand dondubs post to say that the amount of work involved was minimal and did not justify a 500 euro charge,but that there was no choice but to pay it!
OK, sorry for taking so long to understand - I think I'm getting it now.

a) One out of DonDub's 6-8 stories checks out, so there is no value in him answering a simple question - to name the organisations/locations involved in two of his other claims.
b) DonDub's view on Bord Gais is final, and no-one else's view matters.

I can definitely see how this approach and the constructive suggestions on the other thread are definitely going to find robust and reliable solutions to Ireland's economic woes.

I apologise for trying to hold things back by looking for some facts.

Can't believe how many posters are getting taken in by classic WUM behaviour in The Depths lately!

The indo is not an unbiased newspaper, it is a rag and I for one will never buy it again.

I understand it's readership is dropping all the time now, hardly surprising.

Your problem is with the indo, but not the picketing of the hospice? Here are other articles on the issue from other sources.

[broken link removed]

Back