Public Service Attitudes.

There are lots of examples(well documented) of the PS wasting money, storage of evoting machines spring to mind, likewise PPARs, FAS ads(I saw the €600k ad on the RTE news last week, oh what a waste that was!!!!!!). It may not always have been the PS wasting the money directly, but ultimately, senior managers in the various depts and quangos, had responsibility for spending budgets and managing the projects.

Another example of waste is sickness in the Civil Service. For example, in 2007

42% of all sick leave was uncertified
75% of Clerical Offices took sick leave and the average, 16 days off sick a year
The average number of days lost for staff on a 3 day week was 80% higher then those working a full working week
33% of absences commenced on a Monday

If my staff in the private sector averaged 16 days off sick a year, I'd be sacked sooner rather then later.

75% of Clerical Offices took sick leave and the average, 16 days off sick a year
The average number of days lost for staff on a 3 day week was 80% higher then those working a full working week

wow, I wonder if Complainer will reply to this post...

Dodge the links and deflect from the issue with an off topic question...
Sensei Complainer has thought you well grasshopper! ;)

In fairness I can't answer a loaded question about like that the question was...
Your problem is with the indo, but not the picketing of the hospice?

a bit like asking, "You think the news paper report was flawed but picketing a hospice is ok?"...loaded?

Here it is, nice and clear.
Do you condone the picketing of a hospice - yes or no?

Personally, I say no. What do others think?

I believe people at the end of their lives need respect and privacy with their families and friends.

There are lots of examples(well documented) of the PS wasting money, storage of evoting machines spring to mind, likewise PPARs, FAS ads(I saw the €600k ad on the RTE news last week, oh what a waste that was!!!!!!).

The e-voting thing was a political decision not a PS one.

PPARS again was a complete waste of money but look to our govt for the reason it was a complete dogs dinner.

It may not always have been the PS wasting the money directly, but ultimately, senior managers in the various depts and quangos, had responsibility for spending budgets and managing the projects.

Agreed

Another example of waste is sickness in the Civil Service. For example, in 2007

If my staff in the private sector averaged 16 days off sick a year, I'd be sacked sooner rather then later.

I've not seen this report can you post a link to the report itself.

Don't bother to post a link to anything the indo says because I won't bother to read anything that rag prints.

In fairness I can't answer a loaded question about like that the question was...

a bit like asking, "You think the news paper report was flawed but picketing a hospice is ok?"...loaded?

I believe people at the end of their lives need respect and privacy with their families and friends.

The e-voting thing was a political decision not a PS one.

PPARS again was a complete waste of money but look to our govt for the reason it was a complete dogs dinner.

Agreed

I've not seen this report can you post a link to the report itself.

Don't bother to post a link to anything the indo says because I won't bother to read anything that rag prints.

Don't worry, as a Corkman there is only De paper as far as I am concerned

The report was writen by the Auditor and Comptroller General and is titled
Special Report 69, Managing Sickness in the Civil service
http://www.audgen.gov.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/home.asp

In fairness, the report acknowledges early on that "Sickness absence is well governed by Dept of finances rules and regs" but also seems to indicate that absence management is poorly handled by some departments and that there is a lack of consistancy across departments

there is a summary as well available here

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=1183

Incidentally, on the e voting thing, yes it was a political decision to try it, but it was not a political decision to give storage contracts for longer then the projected life of the machines.

Don't worry, as a Corkman there is only De paper as far as I am concerned

The report was writen by the Auditor and Comptroller General and is titled
Special Report 69, Managing Sickness in the Civil service
http://www.audgen.gov.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/home.asp

In fairness, the report acknowledges early on that "Sickness absence is well governed by Dept of finances rules and regs" but also seems to indicate that absence management is poorly handled by some departments and that there is a lack of consistancy across departments

there is a summary as well available here

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=1183

Incidentally, on the e voting thing, yes it was a political decision to try it, but it was not a political decision to give storage contracts for longer then the projected life of the machines.

Regarding health I'd assume people would not want their nurses (and other med staff) coughing all over them while they are in hospital.

With regard to teaching I was told the average numbers of days sick is 1 single day don't have any access to data on that but allowed sick leave is 30 days.

I find it interesting that they make no mention that if you are sick on your day off it is taken as a sick day even if it happens to be the weekend.

With regard to teaching I was told the average numbers of days sick is 1 single day don't have any access to data on that but allowed sick leave is 30 days.

Can you show me the report which states this please

Oh right because I was told that the average was 20 days for teachers but unfortunately I also don't have a report to back it up!

Which basically makes my statistic just as useless and meaningless as yours.

Oh right because I was told that the average was 20 days for teachers but unfortunately I also don't have a report to back it up!

Which basically makes my statistic just as useless and meaningless as yours.

Er no you just made that up 2 secs ago.

Tell you what if I can find evidence that teachers take less than the average sick leave in the public service will you start attacking PS bashers.

evidence that teachers take less than the average sick leave in the public service
Just give us a report that states the figures, not some vague rubbish about 'less than average sick leave in the public service'. And before you go calling me a PS basher, my father is a teacher, so I am simply giving the views of a pragmatist who fears for the future of his country.

Regarding health I'd assume people would not want their nurses (and other med staff) coughing all over them while they are in hospital.

I find it interesting that they make no mention that if you are sick on your day off it is taken as a sick day even if it happens to be the weekend.

This report refers to civil service, not the public sector as a whole, but agree with your comments relating to health service.

So you can't even answer yes or no.

It is conceivable that on balance once you take all things into consideration that you are not correct with your thought process but are right about the underlying pre-concious decisions that lead you to it.

You would be well suited to politics.

*Blush*

I have no interest in becoming a politician but if I was asked I'd be selfless and be prepared to serve my country.

If you can provide evidence that ALL PS/CS employees take less than the average then I will attack "PS bashers" :D ;)

BTW, I'm not bashing the PS here - I have stated on another thread that I am not in favour of more across-the-board pay cuts. However, I am in favour of reform of the Public Sector and one aspect which, IMO, looks like it needs reform is the issue of paid sick leave.

But it just looks to me that the PS don't really want reform at all

I take your point about sick nurses etc but there are state provisions for payment of social welfare for days off sick so maybe health care professionals could receive that rate of social welfare pay rather than normal certified sick pay from Day 1 as opposed to Day 3.

Just give us a report that states the figures, not some vague rubbish about 'less than average sick leave in the public service'. And before you go calling me a PS basher, my father is a teacher, so I am simply giving the views of a pragmatist who fears for the future of his country.

I didn't call you a PS basher and I fear for the future of this country as well.

Back