Public sector V Public sector

He is actually public sector. He's a firefighter! I say double the pension levy

No you fool - had he been private sector he would have been flexible and used his cop-on and adapted.
He was obviously public sector - jobsworth, stickler for guidelines, won't listen to common sense, nothing to do with me...etc etc
;)

Caveat, that sounds like a french name to me

it was obvious he was private sector, badly trained, doesn' give a toss about the big picture, only happy to do what the corporation says....ugly!!!

Just so everyone remembers down in Cork and out lying areas the people who have worked through the night to rescue others and who have been digging and all sorts have been from the public service.

Fair play to them

Fair play to them for doing the job they are paid to do

Hopefully there will be no floods on the 24-Nov then eh?

Originally posted by Purple here

From Ronan Lyons we get this graph
wages-graph.png

the fact remains that the public sector benefited most from the boom (the pay gap has increased considerably between public and private sector over the last 10 years) and, along with social welfare, are the biggest areas of public spending so they have to be targeted for major cuts.

The public sector has, in broad terms, benefitted from the boom far more than the private sector

Hi Purple I have had a good look at the figures which are quoted in the CSO report and they don't confirm your theory.

1. 1998 Private sector pay was 74% of Public sector pay
  2. 1999 Private sector pay was 75% of Public sector pay
  3. 2000 Private sector pay was 77.9% of Public sector pay
  4. 2001 Private sector pay was 77.4% of Public sector pay
  5. 2002 Private sector pay was 77.8% of Public sector pay
  6. 2003 Private sector pay was 79% of Public sector pay
  7. 2004 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
  8. 2005 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
  9. 2006 Private sector pay was 77.24% of Public sector pay
  10. 2007 Private sector pay was 77.18% of Public sector pay
  11. 2008 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
These figures don't include the pension levy which is a pay cut so the gap has narrowed even further to being 83%.

The thing most people don't consider when talking about the public and civil service is that it has far more professionals in it than the private service.

For example how do you compare the likes of architects, engineers, solicitors, librarians, historians, veterinarians, art experts, nurses, doctors, teachers with the likes of tool makers, barmen, waitresses, hairdressers, florists, mechainics, builders, carpenters.

The thing most people don't consider when talking about the public and civil service is that it has far more professionals in it than the private service.

For example how do you compare the likes of architects, engineers, solicitors, librarians, historians, veterinarians, art experts, nurses, doctors, teachers with the likes of tool makers, barmen, waitresses, hairdressers, florists, mechainics, builders, carpenters.

Actually most reports including the recent one by the ESRI do take into account professional qualifications in the public sector. There didn't seem to any problem comparing these jobs when it came to benchmarking. Nobody attempts to compare a nurse with a barman.

Actually most reports including the recent one by the ESRI do take into account professional qualifications in the public sector. There didn't seem to any problem comparing these jobs when it came to benchmarking. Nobody attempts to compare a nurse with a barman.

That graph came from the CSO not the flawed ESRI report.

People on this forum have been saying that the gap between the public and private sectors has widened and I believe this graph proves otherwise.

Since the public service (on average if that is possible when you are dealing with an organisation of 350,000 people) is top heavy with relevant degrees you can't really compare it to the private sector.

People on this forum have been saying that the gap between the public and private sectors has widened and I believe this graph proves otherwise.

Since the public service (on average if that is possible when you are dealing with an organisation of 350,000 people) is top heavy with relevant degrees you can't really compare it to the private sector.

So how did benchmarking work?

That graph that you put so much faith in also shows that the gap has increased in the past 5 years.

Doesn't matter how many times you say it, the ESRI report is not flawed, unless you decide standard economic modelling with built in correction factors is flawed.

Interesting summary of the two reports here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1124/1224259339119.html

So how did benchmarking work?

That graph that you put so much faith in also shows that the gap has increased in the past 5 years.

Last 5 years you said, I'm going to use 6 years so we can properly compare them

The difference in wage in % between public and private was

1. 03-79.09% high point
  2. 04-77.3% down
  3. 05-77.03% back up
  4. 06-77.24% up a bit more
  5. 07-77.18% down again
  6. 08-76.97% and down even more
Sunny, I'm not sure which figures you are reading but I'm going by what I see before me.

*Edit* Took the sun glasses off and see Sunny was correct

Last 5 years you said, I'm going to use 6 years so we can properly compare them

The difference in wage in % between public and private was

1. 03-79.09% high point
  2. 04-77.3% down
  3. 05-77.03% back up
  4. 06-77.24% up a bit more
  5. 07-77.18% down again
  6. 08-76.97% and down even more
Sunny, I'm not sure which figures you are reading but I'm going by what I see before me.

Eh in 2003 Private sector pay was 79% of Public sector pay and in 2008 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay. How has the gap between private sector and public pay not widened using those figures?????

This thread is getting like the "Sentiment Thread" - going round and round. The reality is that it doesn't matter what the rates of pay are in the Public Sector are versus those in the Private Sector, we as a country can't afford them!

Originally posted by Purple here

From Ronan Lyons we get this graph
wages-graph.png

Hi Purple I have had a good look at the figures which are quoted in the CSO report and they don't confirm your theory.

1. 1998 Private sector pay was 74% of Public sector pay
  2. 1999 Private sector pay was 75% of Public sector pay
  3. 2000 Private sector pay was 77.9% of Public sector pay
  4. 2001 Private sector pay was 77.4% of Public sector pay
  5. 2002 Private sector pay was 77.8% of Public sector pay
  6. 2003 Private sector pay was 79% of Public sector pay
  7. 2004 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
  8. 2005 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
  9. 2006 Private sector pay was 77.24% of Public sector pay
  10. 2007 Private sector pay was 77.18% of Public sector pay
  11. 2008 Private sector pay was 77% of Public sector pay
These figures don't include the pension levy which is a pay cut so the gap has narrowed even further to being 83%.

With all due respect (and I mean that) that’s utter nonsense. In euro terms the gap is widening and as a percentage of each other’s pay the gap is widening. As I said already if you earned €1 million one year and got a €200’000 pay increase the next and I earned €20’000 a year and got a €5’000 pay rise I would be getting a bigger percentage pay increase but the gap between our total pay rates would have increased by €195’000.

Would that then by justification for you to ask for another pay increase?

With all due respect (and I mean that) that’s utter nonsense. In euro terms the gap is widening and as a percentage of each other’s pay the gap is widening. As I said already if you earned €1 million one year and got a €200’000 pay increase the next and I earned €20’000 a year and got a €5’000 pay rise I would be getting a bigger percentage pay increase but the gap between our total pay rates would have increased by €195’000.

Would that then by justification for you to ask for another pay increase?

Do please correct me if I'm wrong here but if in 1998 you are getting 74% of my wage and in 2008 you are getting 77% of my wage you don't think that rates have decreased and since the pension levy has come in those differences have decreased further

Do please correct me if I'm wrong here but if in 1998 you are getting 74% of my wage and in 2008 you are getting 77% of my wage you don't think that rates have decreased and since the pension levy has come in those differences have decreased further

But I was getting 79% of your wage in 2003 and only 77% in 2008 so I really don't get what you are trying to say with all this

Sorry sunny I have re-read it and you are correct but the pension levy would have taken all of that back and more.

Sorry sunny I have re-read it and you are correct but the pension levy would have taken all of that back and more.

But the extra value of the public sector pension was not factored in to the figures and we won't know what the real situation is in the private sector for months.

Back