Job Seekers Benefit after retiring

I think that's part of the "activation " process , if you have to collect it in person well then there is a slight humiliation for some people and they will be more focused on finding a new job. When you get it directly into your bank account well then it becomes a "lifestyle " issue and people think up of ways to have extended holidays and career breaks as in this thread
I think indeed the humiliation is there. However I don't think it is necessary. Do you think that people who work all their life would decide to live on about €200. I don't think that someone who has been made redundant needs any further humiliation or hit to their self-confidence.
However I am quite simply shocked by this thread and I think the system needs to have a better look at people who leave their job voluntarily.

Last edited:
However I am quite simply shocked by this thread and I think the system needs to have a better look at people who leave their job voluntarily.
This is government policy.

Post 95 public sector workers who retire early are expected to sign on for JB after they retire. Their supplementary pension entitlement is not paid unless they use all available Jobseekers benefits first.

Other posters have discussed this before including a retired Garda who stated that he was totally honest throughout his Garda career and then was expected to lie about being actively seeking and available for work in order to receive his full public sector pension.

I think indeed the humiliation is there. However I don't think it is necessary.
I think they used to do it direct to bank accounts before the crash but it was widely abused. I think that was really found out during the icelandic ash cloud thing in 2010 which stopped all the flights. It was then discovered that many non nationals had gone home but were still getting jobseekers even though not actually living in ireland just flying back in to sign on. Obviously with the backdrop of the financial crash that was no longer tenable

S Class - Does having an annuity income affect one’s entitlement to JSB I wonder?

I think they used to do it direct to bank accounts before the crash but it was widely abused. I think that was really found out during the icelandic ash cloud thing in 2010 which stopped all the flights. It was then discovered that many non nationals had gone home but were still getting jobseekers even though not actually living in ireland just flying back in to sign on. Obviously with the backdrop of the financial crash that was no longer tenable
Yes they used to transfer it. I do see the reason why it is like that. However the notion of imposing a slight humiliation doesn't really sit well with me. As a couple, we were made redundant 4 times. Each times was unexpected and a difficult time even if we managed to bounced quickly enough. So to see the weekly collection has a beneficial humiliation is strange for me. I think that the people who are genuine are more likely to feel humiliated than the ones who abuse the system.

Last edited:
Yes they used to transfer it. I do see the reason why it is like that. However the notion of imposing a slight humiliation doesn't really sit well with me. As a couple, we were made redundant 4 times. Each times was unexpected and a difficult time even if we managed to bounced quickly enough. So to see the weekly collection has a beneficial humiliation is strange for me. I think that the people who are genuine are more likely to feel humiliated than the ones who abuse the system.
Don't ever feel humiliated. JB is an entitlement which you have paid for with your Prsi contributions. As a, paid for, social welfare benefit it is no different to the contributory state pension. You wouldn't feel humiliated claiming your pension, I presume.
Personally I would feel humiliated if anybody found out that I had not claimed my JB entitlement because of what someone else might think of me.

Hold your head up high in the post office when collecting your JB.
It proves that you have paid your Prsi and taxes and contributed to the Irish economy.

Back