Job Seekers Benefit after retiring

There is nothing to stop you delaying your claim but the clock starts ticking from the date you suffered a loss of income. You would lose 6 months of JB payments.
Not sure that is correct. I think the clock starts from the day you make the claim.
So, you could retire, take a break with no benefits, then, after 6 months make the claim, notify the DSW that you are available for work and claim for 9 months. ( Assuming your PRSI record is still valid from the relevant year).

From citizens information....

Time limit for claiming a socialwelfare payment​

To get a social welfare payment, you must make a claim for that payment to the Department of Social Protection. You normally make a claim by completing an application or claim form. There are generally time limits within which you must make your claim.
The time limits for making a claim vary from one payment to another. The time limits are generally quite short for short-term payments and are longer for long-term pensions. For example, in the case of Jobseeker's Benefit you must claim on the day that you become eligible and in the case of State Pension (Contributory) you can claim up to 3 months before and 3 months after you reach the age of 66.
You should claim a payment as soon as you think you might be entitled to it. If you make a late claim you may get a payment from the date you sent your claim to the department but you may not get your payment back-dated to the time you were entitled to it but did not claim.

I always assumed that the day you become eligible is the next day after you cease employment. I suppose you could claim that you were not eligible on that day because you were not available for work and claim you only became eligible months later when you were ready to seek work again.

So maybe you are correct.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Food for thought. I had assumed that if one was to retire early from a given job, then take a year out before looking for new job, that one could claim Jobseeker's Benefit (subject to PRSI) while looking for that job. That looks trappy now.

One would have to argue that it is not a late claim as eligibility (for up to 9 months JB) only commenced when one started looking for a job. Not looking for any backdated payment simply JB based on PRSI reference year. May not compute.

Thanks for that. Food for thought. I had assumed that if one was to retire early from a given job, then take a year out before looking for new job, that one could claim Jobseeker's Benefit (subject to PRSI) while looking for that job. That looks trappy now.

One would have to argue that it is not a late claim as eligibility only commenced when one started looking for a job. Not looking for any backdated payment simply JB based on PRSI reference year. May not compute.
Yes.
Hopefully someone who successfully delayed their JB might confirm if it's possible.

This is the wording for Jobseekers Allowance. The rules for Jobseekers Benefit could be different.

How to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance​

You should apply for Jobseeker's Allowance the first day you become unemployed. It is important to apply on the first day you become unemployed because you will not get paid for the first 3 days of your claim.
If you make a late claim, it may be backdated if you provide good evidence for the delay.
More information is available in our document about signing on for the first time.
If you think you have been wrongly refused Jobseeker's Allowance you can appeal the decision to the Social Welfare Appeals Office.

I'm a little confused about JSB and retirement. I recently ceased my self employment which I did for 5 years since retiring from a public sector, class D, job for which I receive an occupational pension.
I had planned to withdraw from my PRSA/ ARF next year to pay class S and continue doing so until age 66.

My question is: should I apply for JSB based on my 5 years class S? Any chance I will be approved? Should I 'sign on for credits' as well or only if denied JSB?
If I am approved JSB and/or allowed to sign on for credits, should I not bother also drawing from the ARF?
Many thanks in advance. Slim

One of the JB qualifying criteria, according to Citizens Information, is "Have had a substantial loss of employment and as a result be unemployed". Perhaps this would be a hurdle to JB if taking a year out of employment before applying. Can you have a substantial loss of employment if you haven't been employed for the past year? Clear as mud.

I'm a little confused about JSB and retirement. I recently ceased my self employment which I did for 5 years since retiring from a public sector, class D, job for which I receive an occupational pension.
I had planned to withdraw from my PRSA/ ARF next year to pay class S and continue doing so until age 66.

My question is: should I apply for JSB based on my 5 years class S? Any chance I will be approved? Should I 'sign on for credits' as well or only if denied JSB?
If I am approved JSB and/or allowed to sign on for credits, should I not bother also drawing from the ARF?
Many thanks in advance. Slim
You should definitely apply for Jobseekers Benefit Self employed. If you have worked this way for 5 years you should qualify. You have nothing to lose in applying. You don't get Prsi credits based on payments from JBSE. You should start withdrawals from your ARF to gain extra full rate paid contributions. I'm not sure if having an ARF drawdown would disqualify you for JBSE so if possible delay this until you finish your JBSE claim. If you can get employment for one week and get one class A contribution and then cease this employment, you can then sign on for class A credits. These credits could be used for the period you are claiming JBSE and not receiving credits for this.
Depending on your present age you might qualify for 65s benefit based on your self employment. If you don't qualify on this basis, class A credits could help you qualify for 65s benefit in the class A system. You would need 13 weeks of paid employment to qualify in the class A system. You can be in both class A and S at the same time.
There are benefits in each system.

Last edited:
You should definitely apply for Jobseekers Benefit Self employed. If you have worked this way for 5 years you should qualify. You have nothing to lose in applying. You don't get Prsi credits based on payments from JBSE. You should start withdrawals from your ARF to gain extra full rate paid contributions. I'm not sure if having an ARF drawdown would disqualify you for JBSE so if possible delay this until you finish your JBSE claim. Thanks, that's interesting.

If you can get employment for one week and get one class A contribution and then cease this employment, you can then sign on for class A credits. These credits could be used for the period you are claiming JBSE and not receiving credits for this. How would this work in practice? Sign on every week?

Depending on your present age you might qualify for 65s benefit based on your self employment. I'm 63. If you don't qualify on this basis, class A credits could help you qualify for 65s benefit in the class A system. You would need 13 weeks of paid employment to qualify in the class A system. Over what period? Would I have to get an 'actual' job? You can be in both class A and S at the same time.
There are benefits in each system.
Thank you for try to explain this complex system.

Thank you for try to explain this complex system.
You reached age 63 this year.

If you have 52 class S contributions for this year and you ceased your self employment this year you will qualify for 65s benefit in the S class system.

If you have the above, you don't need to get any class A contributions for qualifying for 65s benefit.

It might be beneficial to still get A credits to use for the time you claim JBSE.

If you get employment and earn at least 38 euro you will get one paid class A contribution. So a few hours work is all you need. You can then sign on for class A credits. This would require just one sign on.

Will you reach the 520 minimum full rate paid contributions by age 66 ?
Have you already reached this level, or do you need more class S to reach this level ?

If you need more class S, is it critical that you get 52S in your 64th and 65th year ?

If you don't need extra class S you would not need to start ARF drawdowns.
You could instead use class A credits to maximise your Prsi record to age 66.

Last edited:
One of the JB qualifying criteria, according to Citizens Information, is "Have had a substantial loss of employment and as a result be unemployed". Perhaps this would be a hurdle to JB if taking a year out of employment before applying. Can you have a substantial loss of employment if you haven't been employed for the past year? Clear as mud.
If you are going abroad for your rest year you could not be eligible until you return.
If you are staying in Ireland it would probably be safer to immediately apply for Jobseekers Benefit. There is little chance of your rest year being disturbed by DSP, especially if you are over age 62.

You reached age 63 this year. Correct

If you have 52 class S contributions for this year and you ceased your self employment this year you will qualify for 65s benefit in the S class system. Yes, I have that from my self employment which only ceased recently.

If you have the above, you don't need to get any class A contributions for qualifying for 65s benefit. Is 65s the benefit that is available from age 65 or something that just happens to have the 65 in the title?

It might be beneficial to still get A credits to use for the time you claim JBSE.

If you get employment and earn at least 38 euro you will get one paid class A contribution. So a few hours work is all you need. You can then sign on for class A credits. This would require just one sign on.

Will you reach the 520 minimum full rate paid contributions by age 66 ? No, I will have 468 class S if I, for example, draw €5k from my ARF. Also I would have a few class A from 1978.
Have you already reached this level, or do you need more class S to reach this level ?

If you need more class S, is it critical that you get 52S in your 64th and 65th year ? I can achieve this by drawing from the ARF, yes?
If this is the case and you claim JBSE you might not reach the 520 level.
In this situation you could make voluntary contributions while claiming JBSE.

If you don't need extra class S you would not need to start ARF drawdowns.
You could instead use class A credits to maximise your Prsi record to age 66.

You will qualify for Benefit payment for 65 years olds. This is the same as Jobseekers benefit but runs for one year. Apply on your 65th birthday.

Are you sure that you cannot reach the 520 full rate paid Prsi contributions ?
This will include any class A and class S you have.
Have you checked your Prsi record ? You possibly have a few years pre establishment.
These could be listed as ORD which are also reckonable.
If you can't reach 520, you will still qualify for pro rata pension as you are over 260.
If you immediately apply for JBSE, this will run for 9 months. When the payments end in 2024, you could then set up an ARF and make a lump sum drawdown of 5000 euro + from it in 2024. This gets you 52S for 2024, and 5000 euro + in 2025 gets 52S.

Last edited:
You will qualify for Benefit payment for 65 years olds. This is the same as Jobseekers benefit but runs for one year. Apply on your 65th birthday.

Are you sure that you cannot reach the 520 full rate paid Prsi contributions ?
This will include any class A and class S you have.
Have you checked your Prsi record ? You possibly have a few years pre establishment.
These could be listed as ORD which are also reckonable.
If you can't reach 520, you will still qualify for pro rata pension as you are over 260.
If you immediately apply for JBSE, this will run for 9 months. When the payments end in 2024, you could then set up an ARF and make a lump sum drawdown of 5000 euro + from it in 2024. This gets you 52S for 2024, and 5000 euro + in 2025 gets 52S.

Be carefull with the timing of starting your ARF as it will disqualify you for JBSE if you open it to soon.

Having an ARF does not disqualify you for Benefit payment for 65 year olds.

Can you clarify the issue of starting the ARF and it disqualifying one for JSB - is this affected by the Imputed Distribution from age 61?
I retired a PRB to an ARF at age 55 to access the Tax Free Lump Sum. I continue to work in other employment. Does this prevent me from accessing JSB in the future if my circumstances change?

I can take 2 weeks holiday per annum and must inform them if I am going abroad before I go. I am not looking for work and want to go on an extended holiday
I thought jobseekers benefit was paid in cash and you had to collect yourself at the post office. Has that been changed since covid aswell, I thought it was there to stop non nationals claiming it when living in another country?

I thought jobseekers benefit was paid in cash and you had to collect yourself at the post office. Has that been changed since covid aswell, I thought it was there to stop non nationals claiming it when living in another country?
Friend of mine is on JB at the moment, ex UB staff so past 6 mths or so and yes has to collect in person every week from post office.

Friend of mine is on JB at the moment, ex UB staff so past 6 mths or so and yes has to collect in person every week from post office.
I think that's part of the "activation " process , if you have to collect it in person well then there is a slight humiliation for some people and they will be more focused on finding a new job. When you get it directly into your bank account well then it becomes a "lifestyle " issue and people think up of ways to have extended holidays and career breaks as in this thread

There is a concession for people aged 62 and over to allow them to have JB or JBSE paid into their bank account.

This situation regarding ARFs and qualifying for JBSE are hard to understand but it seems that it is okay to have an ARF and still qualify for JBSE.

ARFs do not disqualify an unemployed, previously PAYE employed, person claiming Jobseekers Benefit, JB.

Last edited:
There is a concession for people aged 62 and over to allow them to have JB or JBSE paid into their bank account.

ARFs can be a disqualification problem for an unemployed, previously self employed, person claiming Jobseekers benefit for self employed, JBSE .

ARFs do not disqualify an unemployed, previously PAYE employed, person claiming Jobseekers Benefit, JB.
What if they were PAYE for 40 years, and self employed for 5?

Back