Job Seekers Benefit after retiring

"Activation" seems like a really obtuse name for the process.
It's a euphemism, but it is the academic term for the practice.

There's a lot of ideology around this. Economists tend to believe that people respond to measures to prod them back to work, sociologists tend not to.

Maybe I'm missing something, JSB is not intended as a payment for those who volantarily retire early,
Unlike many other countries, DSP do not in practice make you prove that you didn't leave your job involuntarily. JSB is flat-rated and for nine months only so the Exchequer downside is limited.

Expect this to change if we ever move to a system where your JSB payment is linked to previous wage level.

Can you get JSB while also getting an income/making a drawdown from an ARF?
Yes. JSB is related to PRSI history and paid for nine months to everyone eligible.

You can be a billionnaire and claim JSB but after nine months the means test kicks in for JSA.

Another related question - took early retirement a few weeks ago, I am 63yo. I applied for jsb immediately and got approved but have been told I must sign on at the local Intreo office on a date 4 weeks from now. I can take 2 weeks holiday per annum and must inform them if I am going abroad before I go. I am not looking for work and want to go on an extended holiday (winter in the sun) after working for over 45 years without any period of unemployment in that time.
Any advice on how I manage this as I will be out of the country on the sign on date!

Last edited:
Another related question - took early retirement a few weeks ago, I am 63yo. I applied for jsb immediately and got approved but have been told I must sign on at the local Intreo office on a date 4 weeks from now. I can take 2 weeks holiday per annum and must inform them if I am going abroad before I go. I am not looking for work and want to go on an extended holiday (winter in the sun) after working for over 45 years without any period of unemployment in that time.
Any advice on how I manage this as I will be out of the country on the sign on date!
If you are over age 62, you should not be required to take part in the "activation process" ie be available for and seeking employment. Equally you should only be required to "sign on" once a year. But remember that Jobseekers Benefit is limited to 9 months payment, after which you can sign on for credits.
I suggest you query it with your local Intreo office and remind them you are over age 62.

you should not be required to take part in the "activation process
The activation process is attending for job interviews or training courses, etc.
People over age 62 are still required to be available for and actively seeking work.
They are also required to be resident in Ireland and are only allowed 2 weeks holiday abroad.

The activation process is attending for job interviews or training courses, etc.
People over age 62 are still required to be available for and actively seeking work.
They are also required to be resident in Ireland and are only allowed 2 weeks holiday abroad.
Don't agree. My understanding is that once aged over 62 that the Intreo office do not expect you to take part in activation process (not in legislation but by way of concession).
I suggest the individual concerned raises it with their local Intreo office.

Don't agree. My understanding is that once aged over 62 that the Intreo office do not expect you to take part in activation process (not in legislation but by way of concession).
I suggest the individual concerned raises it with their local Intreo office.
You are wrong. The only people exempt from being available for and seeking work and allowed to be absent from the state for more than 2 weeks are over 65's

It is correct to say that over 62 there is no compulsory activation BUT to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers.

The last paragraph on the link posted by Sue Ellen is relevant too....

"In addition, most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on a yearly signing arrangement with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office (this means that they do not need to sign on regularly) and most will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account. Certain categories of older jobseekers may be required to engage more frequently with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office. For example, casual jobseekers of 62 and older must continue to submit weekly dockets of their work patterns.

Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers
."

tells an intreo staff member that they is out of the state for more than 2 weeks
So don't tell 'em!

Anecdotally, I know of folks who took an 'early' retirement & claimed unemployment benefits with no issues or need to prove job seeking and cheerfully went on several trips.

So don't tell 'em!

Anecdotally, I know of folks who took an 'early' retirement & claimed unemployment benefits with no issues or need to prove job seeking and cheerfully went on several trips.
Yes that's all fine.

The problem for getoffthepot is that their compulsory sign on date occurs while they are out of the state on holidays.

Basically getoffthepot needs to find an excuse to try and change their sign on date.

No doubt. But it will be interesting to see/hear, as NoRegretsCoyote mentioned earlier, how this might change as a result of a pay-related benefit scheme (proposed in Budget 2024, expected to be introduced December 2024).

Thanks for the many replies guys. Based on the above I think I will wait until the day before to advise of my oncoming illness.

So if I do this sign on at whatever date I can expect that I will not be called for sign on again for a good while after that.

Thanks for the many replies guys. Based on the above I think I will wait until the day before to advise of my oncoming illness.

So if I do this sign on at whatever date I can expect that I will not be called for sign on again for a good while after that.
There is a yearly sign on date usually in September. So you will be okay until September 2024. They notify you in advance by post.

hijacking this thread.

Suppose I were to retire early due to Stress/ill health and am not really in a position to work as I recover and get myself back to normal.

Is there anything to stop me waiting six months before trying to claim JSB?

I would be in receipt of an ARF (so Class S) in the interim

thanks for any pointers or issues to watch out for

Joe

Is there anything to stop me waiting six months before trying to claim JSB?
There is nothing to stop you delaying your claim but the clock starts ticking from the date you suffered a loss of income. You would lose 6 months of JB payments.

You could cease employment due to workplace stress in that particular job.
This would not necessarily prevent you from being available for and actively seeking employment in a new job which would not cause you stress.

Last edited:
Back