Job Seekers Benefit after retiring

Ravima

Is someone retires, does one automatically go onto jobseekers benefit immediately, or must one wait 9 weeks (as in you gave up your job)?

You can apply immediately. Your application will then be assessed. When assessed there may be a disqualification in payment for up to 9 weeks but this is very individual. I suspect more unlikely than likely but circumstances vary. If you are going to apply for JB I don't see any advantage in delaying the application.

Do you actually mean Jobseeker's Benefit or this payment?
Either way, always apply for welfare payments at the earliest opportunity and let them tell you if you don't qualify or are subject to deferral.

If you are claiming JB at age 60 you
- must be available for work, and
- actively seeking employment

If you are claiming JB at age 60 you
- must be available for work, and
- actively seeking employment
Those conditions apply to JB at any age and have to be confirmed in the application form. What does vary is the level of activation. Age is one factor in this and claimants over 62 are generally not subject to activation. On the other hand activation for a 30 year old claimant is likely to be more vigorous than for a 60 year old retiree.

Those conditions apply to JB at any age and have to be confirmed in the application form. What does vary is the level of activation. Age is one factor in this and claimants over 62 are generally not subject to activation. On the other hand activation for a 30 year old claimant is likely to be more vigorous than for a 60 year old retiree.
"Activation" is getting called in periodically to review jobseeking progress I presume?

"Activation" is getting called in periodically to review jobseeking progress I presume?
It can vary, depending on the claimant profile and other circumstances. It may be one interview/discussion, or more. It may include requests for evidence of jobseeking or re-training. It may include referral to training courses or just discussion of options available. But for a pensionable retiree aged 60+ I would anticipate that any activation would be at the more minimal end - unless he/she displayed genuine motivation towards re-employment. The payment is limited to 9 months in any event.

Hi
A related question.

I am considering leaving my current job. I intend to apply for Job seekers benefit. I will be 62 in May.
I presume I will qualify even if they apply a waiting period.
I have a defined benefit pension that has a pension of 16000 at 65
I have been offered 344000 transfer value.
I also have 1 defined contribution that I believe is linked to the above that is 72000
And 1 other defined contribution of 19000

If i am on jobseekers benefit , can I transfer the 3 into an ARF and start drawing from it this year?
Or would i be better just buying an annuity?
I see a figure of around 19600 for an annuity

Appreciate any thoughts ?

I am considering leaving my current job. I intend to apply for Job seekers benefit. I will be 62 in May.
I presume I will qualify even if they apply a waiting period.
Do you meet the qualifying criteria?
Or would i be better just buying an annuity?
Usually, these days, an annuity isn't good value.
I see a figure of around 19600 for an annuity
See where?

So why do you ask if you'll qualify?
I said that I presume I will qualify.
I won't know for definite until I decide to leave the job and actually apply.
They might apply a waiting period depending on my reason for leaving

Maybe I'm missing something, JSB is not intended as a payment for those who volantarily retire early, it's meant for those who've lost employment or had to retire before official retirement age. It is only paid for a defined period 9 months & then the claimant has to apply for JSA which is means tested.

Whilst the age profile, 60 + means claimants likely won't be required to seek employment through activation measures, that's not Gaurenteed until a person reaches a certain age, I belive a year before official retirement age in Ireland.

Just to clarify.. I am looking for another job and will continue to do so.
I am just exploring the ARF / annuity option
My main question was:
"If i am on jobseekers benefit , can I transfer the 3 into an ARF and start drawing from it this year?"

Just to clarify.. I am looking for another job and will continue to do so.
I am just exploring the ARF / annuity option
My main question was:
"If i am on jobseekers benefit , can I transfer the 3 into an ARF and start drawing from it this year?"
The fact that you might be claiming JB has no impact on what you might do with any private pensions, whether you invest in an ARF, buy an Annuity or a mixture of both.
If you get JB, then this is paid for 9 months. At the end of 9 months you might apply for Jobseekers Allowance, but this is means tested.
Annuity rates have improved in recent months, but deciding between an Annuity and an ARF is dependant on so many issues, such as other assets, other income, state of heath, attitude to risk etc etc. You should probably get expert advice.

Back