Brexit 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologise for what ?
It's a simple statement of fact that if you add up the debits and credits of every member state from France to Poland bar Germany it comes to a figure less than Britain’s EU contribution.
That is true for every member state bar Poland. No one disputed these facts. Why can't you admit it is a post-truth and apologise?

Last edited:
Apologise for what ?

For attempting, (deliberately or not) to mislead.

It is clear that you and the Duke have looked at the same facts. You have presented them in a highly skewed form which seeks to show the UK contribution to the EU budget as excessive by comparison with other countries.

Readers do not have time to check the context of everything written here. Usually we can rely on posters to present their knowledge in a fair and even handed manner, at least to the best of their ability.

Thanks to the Duke for correcting the misleading impression you created.

For attempting, (deliberately or not) to mislead.

It is clear that you and the Duke have looked at the same facts. You have presented them in a highly skewed form which seeks to show the UK contribution to the EU budget as excessive by comparison with other countries.

Readers do not have time to check the context of everything written here. Usually we can rely on posters to present their knowledge in a fair and even handed manner, at least to the best of their ability.

Thanks to the Duke for correcting the misleading impression you created.

Nonsense.
The UK is the second-biggest Net contributor to the EU budget after Germany.The amount Ireland contributes hardly pays for Jean-Claude Druncker's after-dinner mints.
To suggest both are equal is spurious.
It's why the EU was so desperate for a Remain vote.Let's see how the other 27 nations make up the shortfall after Brexit.They could start with a proper audit of its accounts which haven't been signed off for over two decades.

You are in a hole. stop digging.

Duke caught you out, in an attempt to mislead.

Man up and admit it.

My Mama warned me about trolls. What makes me suspect that I am getting a right royal trolling here.:oops: It would help assuage my fears if OP was changed to read:

"It is worth pointing out that after Germany the UK's net contribution to the EU is greater than the other 26 countries."

All I have done is dropped the word "combined". Is that too much to ask?

Whilst that is worth pointing out, I will give OP the benefit of the doubt that she was unaware that the net contribution to the budget does not translate to payment. Thanks to Maggie the UK get a 66% rebate which brings them way below France and, as near as makes no difference, in a tie for 3/4/5 with the Netherlands and Italy. Hey, I'm repeating myself but some listeners appear to be a trifle deaf.:rolleyes: The Leave campaign dismissed the rebate on the basis that it was not guaranteed, as if their recipe is laced with certainty.

Wahaay I don't know who suggested to you that Ireland and the UK are equal in this respect but you should have spotted her immediately as a troll and you should not have repeated that "spurious" suggestion in this forum which attempts to address these issues seriously. BTW from your own stats you should have been assured that Ireland's net contribution paid for nobody's after dinner mints - it was negative:eek:

Why trouble yourself with how the Rest will make up that €4bn shortfall, a whopping 20c per head per week. Think of the bright side, how the Brits will spend all that lolly. The Leave campaign suggested that €30bn of that €4bn could be spent on the NHS (£50M per week, remember?). So not only are Leave good at keeping the barbarians at the gate they do an impressive line in "loaves and fishes". Not that the NHS could do with every cent (or penny) of it, given that the Red Cross have described the NHS as a humanitarian crisis and have been called in to help - the equivalent on the financial side of calling in the IMF.

Last edited:
My Mama warned me about trolls. What makes me suspect that I am getting a right royal trolling here.:oops: It would help assuage my fears if OP was changed to read:

"It is worth pointing out that after Germany the UK's net contribution to the EU is greater than the other 26 countries."

All I have done is dropped the word "combined". Is that too much to ask?

Whilst that is worth pointing out, I will give OP the benefit of the doubt that she was unaware that the net contribution to the budget does not translate to payment. Thanks to Maggie the UK get a 66% rebate which brings them way below France and, as near as makes no difference, in a tie for 3/4/5 with the Netherlands and Italy. Hey, I'm repeating myself but some listeners appear to be a trifle deaf.:rolleyes: The Leave campaign dismissed the rebate on the basis that it was not guaranteed, as if their recipe is laced with certainty.

Wahaay I don't know who suggested to you that Ireland and the UK are equal in this respect but you should have spotted her immediately as a troll and you should not have repeated that "spurious" suggestion in this forum which attempts to address these issues seriously. BTW from your own stats you should have been assured that Ireland's net contribution paid for nobody's after dinner mints - it was negative:eek:

Why trouble yourself with how the Rest will make up that €4bn shortfall, a whopping 20c per head per week. Think of the bright side, how the Brits will spend all that lolly. The Leave campaign suggested that €30bn of that €4bn could be spent on the NHS (£50M per week, remember?). So not only are Leave good at keeping the barbarians at the gate they do an impressive line in "loaves and fishes". Not that the NHS could do with every cent (or penny) of it, given that the Red Cross have described the NHS as a humanitarian crisis and have been called in to help - the equivalent on the financial side of calling in the IMF.

Described as a " humanitarian crisis " after 485 people were recorded as waiting on hospital trolleys on one day in 2017 throughout the entire UK.

On January 3rd,Ireland with a population of around 7% of the UK,had 612 patients waiting on trolleys and on only one day since then have there been fewer than 485 people waiting on trolleys.

https://www.inmo.ie/trolley_ward_watch

Stats eh ? ;)
I know which country I'd rather get sick in - even one under pressure because the health service is free at the point of entry.
Perhaps Ireland could go to the Troika with a begging bowl for a reduction in the interest payments on all the money borrowed to keep the ATMs open.

The figures speak for themselves.You're welcome to disprove this.

Stop defending yourself against accusations that no one has made.

The simple fact is that you attempted to mislead readers about the size of the UK contribution to the EU budget relative to other countries. The Duke called you out on this and you cannot bring yourself to admit it.

Stop defending yourself against accusations that no one has made.

The simple fact is that you attempted to mislead readers about the size of the UK contribution to the EU budget relative to other countries. The Duke called you out on this and you cannot bring yourself to admit it.

Admit what ?
My statement was factually correct.I even attached an official EU graph with it.
It's not my problem if you can't deal with facts.
Let's see how the other leading EU countries who actually bail out most of the rest appreciate having to find an extra £8.1billion.

Wahaay can you answer a simple question? I will even help with a multiple choice answer option.

Q. Why did you include the word "combined" in your OP? Without that word it is a very strong statement. UK is uniquely ahead of 26 other countries. With it included, it is a very weak statement. The UK is but one of 26 countries, including Ireland, who could make the same claim. You even included an official EU graph to demonstrate this point. Why weaken your point so dramatically?

Multiple Choice Answers:

A. I genuinely thought I was making a much stronger statement until a certain Duke pointed out my error.

B. Of course I knew my point was vacuous, but it did sound so much more impressive, I thought AAM folk would never spot it.

C. I wanted to go easy in making the point.

D. Other (please specify)

I'm having trouble understanding these figures - can someone explain please?
This post has been subsequently deleted as I realised I had been caught by a particularly vicious variation of the Troll Gambit. It's a warning to us all to be especially vigilant in these parts.

Last edited:
Post deleted (see above). Drawing attention to what is little more than a typo adds zero to the discussion. But just to clarify the situation, I should have referred to £50m per day or its equivalent €20b per annum. It does not affect the substance of my contributions by one jot.

Last edited:
This post has been subsequently deleted as I realised I had been caught by a particularly vicious variation of the Troll Gambit. It's a warning to us all to be especially vigilant in these parts.

That's two different posters in this thread you have accused of being trolls.
Bit of a pattern forming if you don't mind me saying so.
People should be entitled to their opinions.

Lighten up Nige! I'm sure even the Duke makes howlers from time to time (though I don't actually recall one as big as yours).

You'll get over it in time, and maybe then you will satisfy our curiosity as to what made you make such an inane point.

Last edited:
I'll state it one more time in case you didn't understand it the first time.
If you add up the debits and credits of every member state bar Germany it comes to a figure less than Britain’s EU contribution.
Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined.

The coming week will see some interesting developments on Bexit starting with Prime Minister May's much vaunted speech on Tuesday in which she's expected to make clear that Brexit means exit from the single market and customs union.As FOM was always her red line I wasn't in any doubt this was going to be the case.
But the Chancellor has also been on the offensive with an article in a German newspaper warning of the retaliatory action the UK could take if the EU decides to get tough.
All this,of course,is setting out the stall before A50 is invoked by March and signals to me that the government departments which have been involved in a huge research project since the Brexit vote to see how leaving the EU will impact on all areas of life have now come to their conclusions.
My one fear is that in Ireland we don't see to be hearing about much preparation going on behind the scenes for all possible outcomes although surely there must be some ?

I'll state it one more time in case you didn't understand it the first time.
If you add up the debits and credits of every member state bar Germany it comes to a figure less than Britain’s EU contribution.
Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined.
I thought I made it quite clear that I understood it the first time. I went further and pointed out that the same is true for all other member states except Poland. AAM listeners may or may not find this an interesting trivia. But I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that you were making the more substantive inference that Her Majesty's subjects were the victims of a particularly unique injustice.

I thought I made it quite clear that I understood it the first time. I went further and pointed out that the same is true for all other member states except Poland. AAM listeners may or may not find this an interesting trivia. But I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that you were making the more substantive inference that Her Majesty's subjects were the victims of a particularly unique injustice.

As Ireland was a net beneficiary in 2015 - the last recorded figures issued by the EU - I fail to see how Ireland's contributions amount to more than the other 26 states combined.It's why the EU is an abject disaster because countries are rewarded for failure,as you'll find out once Britain's contributions cease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back