Airpark, Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that advice. Our solicitor has the deeds already waiting to go and they've written to the management company also to speed that side of it up so technically we should be able to work quickly enough. I think you are right though, I think we'll put it on maybe beginning of August and see what way it goes, we will then have a better idea of when it will be ready too. The market is so slow at present I don't see us getting an offer we would accept before end of August anyway.

Wow lmd, you're all organised so.. way ahead of us ! I've just written to the bank.

I was driving along the M50 yesterday trying to see our house over the wall :)

I'm only kind of organised 'cos I used to work as a legal secretary so I kind of know the things that hold sales up. You've got plenty of time though, I'm just a real worrier!

Is it just me or is anyone else out there concerned about making money when they go to resell their Airpark property? With 426 houses on Scholarstown Road, the Stocking Avenue development, not to mention our friends in the halting site I am getting a bit jittery. Any thoughts?

I'm kind of thinking the opposite. I think the more the area gets built up with Stocking Avenue and the shops and amenities planned the more desirable it will become. Where we live now was pretty isolated when we moved there, however there have been a couple of new developments and some shops / pub and the prices have gone up and it's a much more popular area now because there are more houses, transport and amenities. As for the halting site, it's not that close to us and it hasn't put us off wanting to live there, I don't think it will put others off as they are in a lot of places these days.

Of course I could be wrong but only time will tell I guess.

popcorn said:
Hi Imd.

I feel your pain about selling a house! I'm in the same situation. I am putting mine on the market this week and I'm having sleepless nights about it not selling, potential buyers pulling out at the last minute etc!!

My auctioneer told me that the market will pick up towards the end of August so I guess I will just ride with it. But then again, beggars can't be choosers or so the saying goes. If I do get a good offer, fair enough. I will just have to move back in with my parents (ouch!!) and put all my stuff in storage until Airpark is ready.

Does anyone on the site know anything about the nursing home? It seems to be a relatively new and a relatively well kept building. It must be a bit of an inconvenience for the owners/visitors to have to drive through an estate that is only being built to get in. What happens to the site if the home ceases business?

I asked the builders about the nursing home and they said the owner refused to sell the site to them. I think that gives us some comfort about the medium term plan of the business at least.

On your other point of trying to sell your existing property. We ended up selling our existing home in June and moving into our parents for a month as we knew the market would slow down in July/August as it always does and we really did not want to end up in a Bridging situation. We should be in our new house in Airpark by the end of the week!

Natalie said:
I asked the builders about the nursing home and they said the owner refused to sell the site to them. I think that gives us some comfort about the medium term plan of the business at least.

On your other point of trying to sell your existing property. We ended up selling our existing home in June and moving into our parents for a month as we knew the market would slow down in July/August as it always does and we really did not want to end up in a Bridging situation. We should be in our new house in Airpark by the end of the week!

Hi Natalie,

That's great news re: the nursing home and you moving into your new house.

I hope you have the champagne on ice!!!!

Hello All,

It is great to see a thread dedicated to Air Park. Thanks for all the tips. I'm a single guy and have just put a deposit down on a 2 bedroom house in Air Park. Am going through a scared/paranoid phase as to whether or not I have done the right thing. The prices are astonishing in comparison to France where I have just moved back from but I guess this is Dublin.

Has anyone else bought a 2/3bedroom house with just one person/salary? I guess the market is there for me to rent out the other bedroom if needs be.

Thanks for all the tips regarding the 2 bedrrom houses. Am going to speak with the builders this week about getting the toilet downstairs removed and getting a power shower in the main bathroom.

OnlyMe said:
Hello All,

It is great to see a thread dedicated to Air Park. Thanks for all the tips. I'm a single guy and have just put a deposit down on a 2 bedroom house in Air Park. Am going through a scared/paranoid phase as to whether or not I have done the right thing. The prices are astonishing in comparison to France where I have just moved back from but I guess this is Dublin.

Has anyone else bought a 2/3bedroom house with just one person/salary? I guess the market is there for me to rent out the other bedroom if needs be.

Thanks for all the tips regarding the 2 bedrrom houses. Am going to speak with the builders this week about getting the toilet downstairs removed and getting a power shower in the main bathroom.

Hi there.

You are not alone! I have bought a 3-bed in Airpark - just me and my friendly Building Society!!

You are right about the prices in Dublin. If someone had told me 10 years ago that I would be buying a house worth over a half a million, I would have laughed at them.

But it is all relative - I am selling a house in Ballinteer and while I should get an OK price for it, that will all be sucked up in the cost of the new house.

Congrats on your purchase in Airpark - as the weeks go on, the development is getting nicer and nicer and on the whole is a good investment for everyone who has bought there.

Being scared and paranoid is natural - I and, no doubt, plenty of others who have used this site have gone or are going through the same thing.

We should organise some form of group therapy!!!!!

Anyway, keep the chin up. You did the right thing. If the worst comes to the worst - you will always own a valuable property in a very nice area of Dublin!

I am also purchasing a 3 bed by myself, hoping to be in my november. It is a little scary but as was said you always have a room to rent if needed.
I'm sale agreed on my present house, contracts havent been signed yet.
Just wondering did most people go with the standard kitchen in their house or change?

berry said:
I'm sale agreed on my present house, contracts havent been signed yet.
Just wondering did most people go with the standard kitchen in their house or change?

Lucky you ! Did it take long to sell your current house? Our EA is hanging out for end August for the market to pick up again.

Whereabouts in Air Park is your house relative to the nursing home?

We pretty much went with the standard kitchen (white gloss doors), but changed the layout and added a 'magic corner' unit - one of those pull-out metal thingies that makes the best use of the corner space. Am looking forward to having a nice new kitchen. I started shopping around for applicances - tried DID, Power City, Discount Electrical and Harvey Norman. Discount Electrical were cheapest during their sale (which is now over - boo!) with Power City being next. I think DID will price-match though. There's so much choice, it's very difficult to narrow down first of all what features you want, and second of all where's the best place to buy them.

Still trying to finalise the tiles... what ones did the rest of you pick ? The only ones I'm sure about are the kitchen wall tiles like in the showhouse - the ones that look like little bricks. Other than that I'm at a loss for inspiration !

Natalie said:
We should be in our new house in Airpark by the end of the week!

Ooohhh !! Lucky you... What type of house did you go for ?

How did the snagging process go for you ? Was there much left to fix at snagging stage ?

I was up there yesterday as I was driving past. Talked to the foreman and he reckons end October is still achievable. That's 15 weeks, minus 2 weeks for builders holidays... 13 weeks. Seems fair enough to me.

(She says hopefully !!)

itsmine said:
Lucky you ! Did it take long to sell your current house? Our EA is hanging out for end August for the market to pick up again.
Whereabouts in Air Park is your house relative to the nursing home?

It was on the market for about 3 weeks, things definetely slow down towards June/July but I think will pick up again shortly.

My house is on the avenue, just past the nursing home.

I have changed my mind so many times about the kitchen, at the moment im getting the White High Gloss too. Went for the tiles as per the showhouse, I think its so difficult picking tiles and I remember really liking them.

Hi all.

Speaking about appliances, this may sound like a totall stupid question - so please forgive me!! As regards integrated units, do you have to get a 'special type' of washing machine or can a standard washing machine be integrated?

berry said:
My house is on the avenue, just past the nursing home.

Same. We'll be neighbours so !

berry said:
I have changed my mind so many times about the kitchen, at the moment im getting the White High Gloss too. Went for the tiles as per the showhouse, I think its so difficult picking tiles and I remember really liking them.

Our kitchen units have been sitting in the kitchen and dining room for a couple of weeks now. I think they need to move some electrical things before they can install the units (because I moved the fridge and oven around).

They're building a new boundary wall around the nursing home at the moment, making their carpark much bigger. The green area opposite our houses will be planted up with shrubs according to the builder, so it should look really nice.

popcorn said:
Hi all.

Speaking about appliances, this may sound like a totall stupid question - so please forgive me!! As regards integrated units, do you have to get a 'special type' of washing machine or can a standard washing machine be integrated?

Yeah, you have to buy an "integrated" applicance if you want to put a cabinet door over the front of it - so that it blends into the rest of your kitchen. If you're happy to have the normal front of the washing machine visible in the kitchen, then you can buy any machine you like - it's all down to personal preference. In the showhouse, they had an integrated washer/dryer hiding behind a kitchen cabinet door.

Here's a photo of an integrated machine http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/a1/b5/fd_2.JPG

The main difference between an integrated machine and a standard machine is that there's hinges on the left hand side of the integrated machine to allow you hang a door and the knobs and buttons and door are sortof more recessed into the front of the machine so that the door doesn't bash off them.

Thanks for that - you learn something new every day!!

Regarding the new nursing home boundary wall - what type of materials will they be using for that? Will it be bog standard brick (like what is there now) or will it be nicer stone to blend in with the rest of the estate? How much bigger are they planning to make the car park?

Judging by the last few posts, it seems like we are all going to be neighbours - I too am on the avenue, just opposite the nursing home entrance!

itsmine said:
Yeah, you have to buy an "integrated" applicance if you want to put a cabinet door over the front of it - so that it blends into the rest of your kitchen. If you're happy to have the normal front of the washing machine visible in the kitchen, then you can buy any machine you like - it's all down to personal preference. In the showhouse, they had an integrated washer/dryer hiding behind a kitchen cabinet door.

I phoned the kitchen place and they told me the kitchen is integrated - therefore you have to buy integrated appliances or they won't fit when you move in. I presume if you don't want integrated ones you should phone the kitchen place and tell them, otherwise they will just put the integrated units in.

Has anyone choose their room paint? I believe there is a colour shart on site to choose from with 2/3 colours. Do you just ask the foreman about this?

I don't think so. I think it's the usual 'magnolia' type of thing throughout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back