Airpark, Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused111 said:
Hey,
I have bought a 3 bed side facing and was just wondering does anyone know if it is possible to convert the attic? I'm not sure if this could be done and cant really see where you could put a stairs! Just a thought for the future as the gardens are so small there is no real option to extend!
Thanks!

Best thing to do would be to call John F O'Connor architects (the original designers of the houses) and ask their opinion. Am sure they could give you an answer over the phone.

I'm curious to know whether it's possible myself now !

Also check the terms of the leasehold agreement (if any) as this may have clauses about what you can and cannot do in this regard.

itsmine said:
Best thing to do would be to call John F O'Connor architects (the original designers of the houses) and ask their opinion. Am sure they could give you an answer over the phone.

Good idea! I'll call them this afternoon and will post it later!

Just checked out the neighbours.ie website - it looks brilliant. The age of modern technology never ceases to amaze!!!

Hi all - new to the forum and think its great. We are about to buy a 3bed semi but before we do we have asked the estate agent a couple of things especially about the downstairs toilet being moved under the stairs. You do have to have a downstairs toilet in order for the Architect to certify the house.
I was wondering (hopefully someone can answer) if the allownace you get for tiles and fireplace can only be used in the stores listed by the builder - more so the tiling allownace or do you loose it if you want to buy your tiles elsewhere.

PS Great info on the Kitchen layout and bedside lockers etc.

PJandCP said:
Hi all - new to the forum and think its great. We are about to buy a 3bed semi but before we do we have asked the estate agent a couple of things especially about the downstairs toilet being moved under the stairs. You do have to have a downstairs toilet in order for the Architect to certify the house.
I was wondering (hopefully someone can answer) if the allownace you get for tiles and fireplace can only be used in the stores listed by the builder - more so the tiling allownace or do you loose it if you want to buy your tiles elsewhere.

Congrats on your new house ! Whereabouts is your house relative to the nursing home ?

You're right about the downstairs toilet - in order to comply with Building Regulations, all new build houses must have a wheelchair accessible toilet - i.e. downstairs and with enough space around the toilet for a wheelchair user to access it. I think the minimum space requirement is 75cm x 150cm - so in order to consider moving the toilet to under your stairs, you'd need to check if there's enough space to comply with the regulations. Something else to consider (if your house is already built) is that the waste pipes for toilets are embedded in the concrete floor, so to move a toilet is a pretty big deal, as they'd need to kango a new hole in the floor to cater for a new waste pipe. If you really want to do it, then stick to your guns (assuming it complies with building regs) !

As for switching allowances - am not sure. I would love to use the tiling allowance elsewhere as I found the tile shop very expensive.

itsmine said:
Congrats on your new house ! Whereabouts is your house relative to the nursing home ?

You're right about the downstairs toilet - in order to comply with Building Regulations, all new build houses must have a wheelchair accessible toilet - i.e. downstairs and with enough space around the toilet for a wheelchair user to access it. I think the minimum space requirement is 75cm x 150cm - so in order to consider moving the toilet to under your stairs, you'd need to check if there's enough space to comply with the regulations. Something else to consider (if your house is already built) is that the waste pipes for toilets are embedded in the concrete floor, so to move a toilet is a pretty big deal, as they'd need to kango a new hole in the floor to cater for a new waste pipe. If you really want to do it, then stick to your guns (assuming it complies with building regs) !

As for switching allowances - am not sure. I would love to use the tiling allowance elsewhere as I found the tile shop very expensive.

Hey Itsmine I thought also that building Regs stated a wheelchair accesible toilet but alot of the semiDs have the toilet under the stairs. We really want this moved cause it ruins the function of the utility room and is not appealing when people are over. I am waiting on reply from Auctioneer who has to wait until builders are back from holidays.

It was mentioned in jest a good few posts ago about a residents committee would be great based on this forum. People will obviously not be thinking about this just yet but it will prove very important. In the estate we are in at the moment in ballycullen we have a very good one and it has seriously worked in our favour as we got rid of a management company becuase of their prices and lack of work and have managed to half the costs. We have been able to put alot of pressure on the builder and the Mngment company to get our way on alot of things

PJandCP said:
I am waiting on reply from Auctioneer who has to wait until builders are back from holidays.

It's unfortunate timing that the builders are on holidays while you have an outstanding question. Perhaps give the architect a call and see what his thoughts are on moving the downstairs WC ?

Hi does anyone know if houses with downstairs toilets should have two doors leading into it from a living area under building regs- ie if the toilet is under the stairs this would qualify as you must pass through 2 doors from any living space to get into it. If it is the case surely the toilet in the utility room in the 3 bed semis are outside Building Regs. Could be wrong but need to know

If you think the 3 beds are bed you should see the 2 beds.... The toilet is in the sitting room. It obviously complies with planning permission or it wouldn't have been granted. I thought it strange when I saw the houses first though.

Yeh we did see the 2 bed and the toilet downstairs isn't great either. From speaking to a few people we think with have no chance in hell of getting the builder to move the toilet so we are either going to get it taken out once the house is certified or put a partition wall up so that at leats you would pass through two doors to get to the toilet. Effectively we will split the utility room in half - if its possible.

PJ we have a 3 bed and pursued the toilet issue in the utility room vigourously via our solicitor for about a month and got nowhere. Our foundations hadn't even been dug at that stage. We are now planning to extend out the back and create an extra room out there so that, as you say, we have a space between the living area and the toilet. We unerthed all of the building regaulations you refer to. It's a crazy situation.

Thanks for that Dirk. No point in going through all the hassle so. To be honest we are having reservations about buying the property. Its so much money for what you get. If we do buy I think the way around the whole toilet thing will be to put a partition wall in or even a fan wall made of glass block so that the toilet is shielded.

itsmine said:

The roof is made of prefabricated trusses so a loft conversion is pretty much unlikely, although not completely impossible.

I'm planning to extend into the garden, has anyone seen any possible restrictions to this in any of the contracts etc? U are allowed to extend upto 40m2 to the rear of a property without Planning Permission as long as you meet other criteria. It is the only viable reason for paying so much money for such a small space. The houses prob only cost 100k to build if that so you are paying over 500k just for the land so its best to make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back