Airpark, Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove up there this morning and one thing that strikes me is that the roads in the estate - especially outside my house - seem very narrow. According to the plans I received there is a pathway up to my front door - I can't see where they are going to fit that. But then again - I'm not a builder or an architect!!

If it's in the plans they gave to your solicitor then you have to have it. But I know what you're saying, let's face it they have squashed in as many houses as they could into the place. I am a bit worried about visitor parking though. There is just nowhere for visitors to park, I can't understand how it's going to work to be honest. Just hoping there isn't going to be any agro with people parking in other people's spaces and that. Nothing we can do about it now anyway!!! It's such a pain not knowing when the house will be ready as I just don't want to sell our current house too early and be under pressure to move out if the new one's not ready. Just going to keep going up there for a snoop!

Ooohh.. I'm so envious that you can pop in for a look - we live miiiiiiiiles away at the moment. I think you'll have 2 parking spaces to the front left of your house, so there should be space for a path to your door parallel to the cars. The roads are v. narrow alright, but looking at this from a positive viewpoint, it means there won't be any speeding around the roads of the estate.

itsmine said:
Just looked at the South Dublin County Council website and see that planning has been for a big development of 426 homes around the site of the reservoir on Stocking Lane with entrances off Stocking Lane and Scholarstown Road. So I guess some of the houses in Air Park will back onto this new development. Wonder when they're planning on starting/finishing.
I really hope they invent a new bus route for the area !

Had a look at planning application and development will not overlook Air Park thank God. Trees along boundary fence will remain. Most of development will be on other side of waterworks land.

itsmine said:
What type of house did you go for ozzy ? Are you going to go with the extension straight away - a sunroom or something ?

Semi in the avenue. Hopefully straight away if we get in before it gets to winter. I'm in construction so will be able to do it myself, just got to get the time. looking to put on another living room. The houses are so small it needs and lets face it, you spend more time in doors than out with the climate!!

Hi,
We bought a 3 bed side facing in the Rise and this thread has been really helpful with regards to ideas for changes to get the builder to do. Does anyone have any idea when the houses at the back of the estate (nearly on the fence with Woodstown Estate) like the ones in the Rise are going to be ready? We were told October ages ago but if the ones around the Nursing Home are not going to be released until October then is it more likely that the ones at the back will be closer to Christmas?!
Thanks again for all the ideas!

confused111 said:
Does anyone have any idea when the houses at the back of the estate (nearly on the fence with Woodstown Estate) like the ones in the Rise are going to be ready? We were told October ages ago but if the ones around the Nursing Home are not going to be released until October then is it more likely that the ones at the back will be closer to Christmas?!

Have they started building your house yet ? I think they were going to release them in bunches of a few at a time, starting at the entrance to the nursing home and working their way down.. that seems to be the way they're finishing them.

Tile crowd rang me today looking for me to confirm my tiles so they can send them out to site. Exciting !

Hi all.

I went up to the site today and the foreman told me that - realistically - the houses close to nursing home entrance would be ready towards the end of November. Regarding the houses towards the end of the estate, he said that they would be ready by December. The entire site seems to be divided in three - the entrance area (where a road actually exists!!), the area around the nursing home and the end of the estate.

He also said the first residents would be moving in soon!!

Hi all.

I went up to the site today and the foreman told me that - realistically - the houses close to nursing home entrance would be ready towards the end of November. Regarding the houses towards the end of the estate, he said that they would be ready by December. The entire site seems to be divided in three - the entrance area (where a road actually exists!!), the area around the nursing home and the end of the estate.

He also said the first residents would be moving in soon!!

I drove in there last night and it looked like a few people had moved in already up near the showhouse - cars parked in driveways and people out enjoying the evening sunshine.

End of November is a change from the mid-October I had been told. I wish builders could be more accurate in their estimates...

I went up there today, there are definitely people moved in. I was told end October, beginning November for mine. Have most people sold their current houses (if any)? Just wondering how people are going to work it - trying to know when to tell buyers when they are likely to be able to move into your house is difficult. From experience I know October could be January....

lmd said:
I went up there today, there are definitely people moved in. ....

Bet you were mad jealous !! I was when I went up and saw cars parked in drives :)

lmd said:
I was told end October, beginning November for mine.

Whereabouts is your house relative to the nursing home ?

lmd said:
Have most people sold their current houses (if any)? Just wondering how people are going to work it - trying to know when to tell buyers when they are likely to be able to move into your house is difficult. From experience I know October could be January....

We haven't sold ours yet... still having viewings, although things have quietened down a lot - the agent reckons it's because of summer holidays and that interest will pick up again mid to late August.

Ours is actually on the Close (looking onto Stocking Lane), the last one to be built because it used to be on the road which was the entrance to the nursing home, all the other houses on our road are built except one. We are glad though as we took our house off the market when we were told ours would take longer so we are glad to have more time to sell it. However it is flying up now, in the space of 3 weeks it's gone from nothing to roof almost on, so we are going to get moving putting the house back on. Just still not knowing is very uncertain as we really need to get the best price for the house (like everyone....) glad to hear someone else is still selling their own house though.

lmd said:
Ours is actually on the Close (looking onto Stocking Lane), the last one to be built because it used to be on the road which was the entrance to the nursing home, all the other houses on our road are built except one. We are glad though as we took our house off the market when we were told ours would take longer so we are glad to have more time to sell it. However it is flying up now, in the space of 3 weeks it's gone from nothing to roof almost on

That's a lovely spot alright. I drove around those houses at the weekend. I'd say they'll finish your one off ahead of the ones further down the estate to minimise building dust and stuff for the people who have already moved in.. fingers crossed for you anyway !

Meant to say - also when I was up at the weekend I took a nose into one of the back gardens where the gate was open... it looks like they plant shrubs for us along the back wall of the garden and in the front flower bed areas in front of the house... thought that was a lovely touch. The place will look really neat and tidy from the start as everyone's flower beds are planted up.

Hi Imd.

I feel your pain about selling a house! I'm in the same situation. I am putting mine on the market this week and I'm having sleepless nights about it not selling, potential buyers pulling out at the last minute etc!!

My auctioneer told me that the market will pick up towards the end of August so I guess I will just ride with it. But then again, beggars can't be choosers or so the saying goes. If I do get a good offer, fair enough. I will just have to move back in with my parents (ouch!!) and put all my stuff in storage until Airpark is ready.

Does anyone on the site know anything about the nursing home? It seems to be a relatively new and a relatively well kept building. It must be a bit of an inconvenience for the owners/visitors to have to drive through an estate that is only being built to get in. What happens to the site if the home ceases business?

Hi Popcorn. I'm REALLY glad to hear someone else is going through the same thing. Thought long and hard about it all and I am not going to try and time everything to happen on the one day (i.e. selling our house and signing for new one), we are definitely just going to move in with parents if we get a buyer a bit early. Was going to put ours on next week but keep hearing it's better towards end of August so really not sure what to do. A friend of ours is currently selling his house and an investor is buying and has had the contracts about 5 weeks and they might have to put it back on the market now as he's dragging it out too long. Just wish we knew when exactly the houses would be ready!!!!

popcorn said:
My auctioneer told me that the market will pick up towards the end of August so I guess I will just ride with it.

Mine told me the same - so I guess there must be some truth in it ! We'll just have to wait and see.

I think the builders are going on holidays this week for 2 weeks.

Do you not think leaving it till September is cutting it fine though to put your house on? It will take minimum 2 weeks to get a buyer and even if everything goes as smootly as possible the paper work is realistically going to take 2 months bringing you into November. I really don't know what to do as you don't want to put it on too early either. Good luck to everyone with selling anyway!!

I reckon you could safely put your house on the market now or at the beginning of August - that way you can get viewings in and possibly some offers.

Make the buyers aware that your likely closing date is going to be October, so they know your terms. Alternatively, if you receive a time limited offer that you can't refuse requiring an earlier closing, consider accepting it and moving out of your house earlier and into parents' house/rented accomm.

One tip to shorten the paperwork/administrative element is to write a letter to your current mortgage provider asking them to release the deeds of your current house to your solicitor on an "assured receipt" basis(basically the solicitor commits to minding the deeds on behalf of the bank) - it allows your solicitor start preparing contracts etc, and will mean that the deeds are readily available when the sale is agreed. It can take 2-3 weeks alone for the banks to produce deeds in this way, so you might as well do that now as opposed to it delaying your closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back