Airpark, Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowballs

HI

Am considering purchasing in this new development and would love any feed back re the house's themselves and indeed the area.

Cheers;)

Used to live in the area. Its a nice enough place to live. Reasonably quiet and safe, close to the countryside but not too far from the city. Stocking Lane is a bit off the beaten track and its not really possible to walk to a lot of stuff which is annoying but I reckon its only a matter of time before the infrastructure is improved. A couple of massive new developments planned for the area so its going to be chaotic with traffic and building works in the future. I thought that the houses in Airpark look quite dull compared to the likes of Prospect Manor/Woodfield/Orlagh or most of the developments in the area. But thats just my opinion. Its definitely not a bad place to buy and should do well in terms of capital appreciation etc. in the future imo.

Im sure u have checked out this link but thought Id add it anyway.....

Dont know much about the houses as such but when I was sent a letter with a list of prices I nearly fell of the chair I was sitting on. I mean €520k for a 2 bed terrace @ 748sq ft is a bit much !!

A 3 bed house @ 1076 sq ft is being sold up the road in Woodfield for €575,000. Ok, so its second hand and there is stamp on that... but its still right beside the bus terminal, a 5 min walk to Superquinn, right beside the M50 and the secondary school.

The 15 bus terminal is about a 10/15 min walk from the Airpark development. Superquinn is a 2 min drive away and is opened late nights. Schools in the area are excellent.

Best of luck.

Southsideboy - thanks for that info, just wondering if prospect manor, woodfield and orlagh are new developments? don't seem to see any signs of these on any sites for sale? When you say new developments are planned for the area, is it retail, hse's, business's etc?

Parkviewbuye - pricey allright, but what actually appeals to me is not having to do loads of work to a second hand hse. Young Family and all that! The less hassle the better.....

Am going to head there on Saturday to try and get a feel for it myself.

Oh the joys of moving hse!

Would you not be better of waiting for Bodenheath then? Its more central again?

They have a mixture of 3 beds and apts... I live in the Knocklyon area and I agree with southside boy - u cant walk down the lane outside Airpark so therefore for kids its not really ideal unless u have a car.

All the developments that ssb listed are not new - they have been there for a few years.. some fab houses in Orlagh and prospect.

€520K for a two bed:eek:

Have you considered Hunterswood on the Ballycullen Road? Its in a much better location with regard to amenities. There is a small shopping centre in Woodstown with Spar, Chemist, Chartbusters etc. The 49 bus stop is just outside the shops.

The last phase is going on sale April/May (check with Sherry Fitzgerald) The last phase in Feb a 4 bed semi was from €485K so your probably looking at €500K/€510K for just over 1300 sq ft.

We have been there for 2.5 years now and are very happy.

hey we looked at the 4 bed ourselves but decided against it and the development, and any other new development in dublin for that matter. We currently live in a mixed development which we bought 4 years ago. The parking is absolutely dreadful, assigned car spaces, no visitors parking, clamping etc. The first question we asked was about parking - we were told we had two spaces and no guest parking. Our decision was made after that. I don't know why these builders can no longer build people friendly developments - with front driveways and roadside parking. We have just bought a 4 bed semi in an older estate.

The new developments that are planned are housing developments. They will run all the way up the back of Scholarstown Road and meet the M50. I know Deane Homes are behind the biggest development. Can't remember who is building the other one. You'd find the info on www.sdcc.ie. All I'm saying is that these are massive developments on the same scale as what has been built in Ballycullen so if the green fields near Airpark is what appeals to you then its worth remembering they won't be around in a few years!I can see why Airpark would appeal to you because its new but generally there are some good modern developments along Scholarstown Road (Rathfarnham and Knocklyon ends) (such as Prospect, Woodfield and Orlagh and Templeroan) where you can get some good second hand houses in top condition. I think Airpark does seem a bit pricey but obviously you would be saving on stamp duty. As for Hunterswood, its a nice enough development but it does have a D24 postcode and that might put some people off. I know a couple who just sold a 4 bed semi in Ballycullen D24 and paid an extra €35k for a 3 bed semi in Knocklyon D16. Postcode snobbery I think!

southsideboy said:
[broken link removed] for Hunterswood, its a nice enough development but it does have a D24 postcode and that might put some people off. I know a couple who just sold a 4 bed semi in Ballycullen D24 and paid an extra €35k for a 3 bed semi in Knocklyon D16. Postcode snobbery I think!

The D24 postcode didn't put off the 10 or so couples who were queing outside the showhouse for 4 days in February...since Ballycullen was splashed all over the papers thanks to the Planning Tribunal, more people know where it is.

As for postcode snobbery...aren't there talks of An Post revising all the postcodes? I have read somewhere, possibly on AAM, that there is a possibility that Ballycullen & Firhouse postcode is to be changed to D16W...it makes no odds to us anyway as we plan to stay put.

Anyhow as my granny always says "its how you live, not where you live"

Kiddo, I agree with what your saying. Hunterswood is a very popular development. I think the idea of a D16W postcode is ridiculous and I doubt it would ever happen. The only thing I would say about a lot of people who bought in Hunterswood is that a lot of them seem to have a hang up about living in Firhouse. Thats why so many of them use Knocklyon D16 as their address much to the annoyance of people who live in real Knocklyon. Don't get me wrong, I agree that Hunterswood is a nice place to live and a lot more convenient than the likes of Airpark but I'm just saying that a lot of people would prefer to pay a premium for a D16 postcode. As far as I know the new postcode systems will be based on ordinance surveys and will be similar to the type used in the UK so D4, D6, D16, D24 etc. will all go. Although I'd say they would be opposed by people with 'good postcodes'!

Parkviewbuye - where's bodenheath? Do you know who's building it as I'd love to check out where exactly and what is being built

Tanx

Hok website... [broken link removed]

Its literally parrallel to stocking lane. Its on the new -ish road that goes off the scholarstown roundabout. Its a mixture of apartments and 3 bed houses.

The builders are Park Developments and if u wanted to see a similar development here is the link...

Have you checked out the new development in Wainsfort Manor ? Thats a really nice location. Cant for the life of me remember who is going to be selling these houses... think it might be hok or hooke and macdonald. They will be pricey but if u are happy spending what u will have to in Airpark then that wont be an issue :)

Parkviewbuye - you've been invaluable - much appreciated. Am looking at all options, no stone will be left unturned in search of my dream home in dream location!!!!

Will keep you updated....

Snowballs said:
Parkviewbuye - you've been invaluable - much appreciated. Am looking at all options, no stone will be left unturned in search of my dream home in dream location!!!!

Will keep you updated....

No worries at all. As I said Ive live in Knocklyon and have done all my life so if u need anymore info on developments, schools etc ask away :)

Snowballs, if you could afford to buy in the new development at Wainsfort I would totally go for it. Very good location, address etc. Not that I have a problem with the other areas. I lived in Knocklyon for the majority of my life and around it and Rathfarnham are very nice areas too but around Wainsfort Manor is a very good location and close to town. Be careful you don't spend too much time deciding where you want to live because if you are looking for a new house in a good location in South Dublin I'd say there will be a major shortage of those over the next while!!

I live in Hunterswood been there 2 years- have to say love it. Spent all my life in Rathfarnham area - I see they have another launch in Airpark this w/end. THe prices are ridiculous when the new road just up a bit opens will make woodstown more accessible but where it is at the moment it is not within walking distance of bus/shops as road does not have a path. Nice area but think houses overpriced for what you get. Another thing is how close to the M50 is it- is it noisy up there? You can buy a second hand house just down the road in Prospect for €550-600k.

Hi,
Have put a booking deposit down on one of the three bed side facing houses in Stocking Lane.Am starting to get a bit worried about the apparent lack of guset parking and the fact that there are so many new developments planned right next door to the development does anyone know when the Deane Homes and Mountbrook Home developments are going to be launched (they are located just past Air Park on the former Dogs abd Cats Home site..Although the facilities that will come with developments will be welcome am worried that the houses may be better value with better space and parking facilities!
Anyone have any views???

I'd say it will be a long while before they are launched - prob looking at into 2007 before the first phases are launched. Deane Homes got a 10year planning permission which just shows how big the development is going to be so if you buy there it would take a very long time before the development would be established. In the long term Air Park looks like a good development (even if i do still think the houses are very dull looking) and because the address is a fairly good one it means that there will always be a lot of demand for the area so doubt all the new developments would have a negative impact on Air Park. As u say all the new facilities will help with convenience and should push up values. As for guest parking, this seems to be a problem everywhere. Communal parking seems to be the norm even with semis and detached houses these days in good locations in Dublin because all the units are squeezed in. I'm sure u could find detailed plans for the Deane Homes and Mountbrook developments on www.sdcc.ie but as I say i doubt they will be launched any time soon.

Thanks for that Southsideboy! Now I have another question! Have been googling Stocking LAne and it look like SDCC are going to put a 10 bay permenant halting site somewhere on Stocking Lane! Just wondering if anyone knows the location of this site and whether there are any caravans around there at the minute! If anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it!
Thanks

Ive no idea where they may be but if u want to have a look at a similar development you will find it up the road at Owendoher Haven, Ballyboden - 8 caravan bays and a caretakers houses. Not sure if they will look the same but you could always suss it out to see. Its on the road across from the new development Boden Heath - well slightly to the corner across from it near the roundabout.

I know that there used to be a few caravans parked just where the slip road goes down to the M50 before it opened near Airpark so it might be further up that road??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back