Affordable Housing Process/Plans in Cork City

Yeah, the Togher development worries me a little. I was under the misguided naive belief that the whole affordable housing scheme was put together to avoid council housing-estates...not create them??

I heard re Togher that the Aff. Houses are on one side of the development and the social houses on the other and that the social houses are a bit nicer as Affordable's have no gardens:confused: now how true that is I dont know as haven't seen them personally, might take a trip there at the weekend for a look. Cork CC have also bought the new development at Churchfield too I hear, wonder will it be a mix like togher again.

I heard re Togher that the Aff. Houses are on one side of the development and the social houses on the other and that the social houses are a bit nicer as Affordable's have no gardens:confused: now how true that is I dont know as haven't seen them personally, might take a trip there at the weekend for a look. Cork CC have also bought the new development at Churchfield too I hear, wonder will it be a mix like togher again.

I went to see houses in Fairhill over the weekend..is that the Churchfield development you mentioned?

I thought the houses were quite impressive.

Did anybody else go to see them? Any feedback?

Have to say I was impressed with the houses as well. They seemed quite spacious. The 2 bed apartments were also nice, my only concern being that the bedrooms were bit small but I feel the living space made up for it. I only have one major concern about them. There are four houses which face directly onto the main road and with the large winndows they have I fear they'd attract stone throeing etc. I'm not saying that kind of it is specific to the area before anyone starts but I just think they were badly planned. Other than that a lovely development, leisure centre right next door as well.

Have to say I was impressed with the houses as well. They seemed quite spacious. The 2 bed apartments were also nice, my only concern being that the bedrooms were bit small but I feel the living space made up for it. I only have one major concern about them. There are four houses which face directly onto the main road and with the large winndows they have I fear they'd attract stone throeing etc. I'm not saying that kind of it is specific to the area before anyone starts but I just think they were badly planned. Other than that a lovely development, leisure centre right next door as well.

I got the impression that those road-facing houses, apart from the showhouse, were already occupied? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought at the time.
I agree with you about the 2-bed apartment, very spacious. The high ceilings and big windows definitely helped add a feeling of space.
I don't know an awful lot about that particular area. Obviously I know the area by reputation, but times change, and things improve everywhere.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here.. I was just wondering if anybody has any idea when the houses in Fairhill or Hollyhill are likely to be allocated? Do you have to interview or just apply? I sent in a general application a few months ago (like the rest of the world) but am wondering what I should do now? Also, roughly (to the nearest 50) how many singletons would be applying for two bedroomed places? Is it a pipe dream to think I may be granted a house/apt sometime? Are people usually waiting months or years? So many questions... Thanks in advance to anybody for replying, it's great to have someone to ask - even if all that is given is an informed opinion. Good luck to you all.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here.. I was just wondering if anybody has any idea when the houses in Fairhill or Hollyhill are likely to be allocated? Do you have to interview or just apply? I sent in a general application a few months ago (like the rest of the world) but am wondering what I should do now? Also, roughly (to the nearest 50) how many singletons would be applying for two bedroomed places? Is it a pipe dream to think I may be granted a house/apt sometime? Are people usually waiting months or years? So many questions... Thanks in advance to anybody for replying, it's great to have someone to ask - even if all that is given is an informed opinion. Good luck to you all.

Hi Houseseeker,
It was been said that the Fairhill houses will be allocated at the beginning of the New Year. But you can generally add a few months/years to whatever they say.
The Hollyhill houses were advertised by Coco on the Property section of the Examiner last weekend, so they are just starting the process, so it will probably be a while.
It is impossible to say how many single people are on the books of both the City and County, but I'm guessing quite a few.
People generally tend to wait years rather than months. I am 3 years waiting, and no doubt some are longer still. But I'm sure others just happen to apply at the right time. It's not the most transparent/open system in the world, there's a lot of guesswork attached I'm afraid.
Best of luck anyway!

Letters are out this week for the Togher development.
I went to see those houses (from the outside) a few weeks ago). They look quite small. Has anybody seen them from the inside?

Re: Affordable Housing Process in Cork City

sure. Questions are now being asked as to why the Council is engaging in seperate deals with private developers to buy housing off them at market rates whicle at the same time allowing developers to buy their way out of Part V . e.g the Atkins Hall apartments. The developer has great difficulty selling these, yet the City Council in paying €250,000 each for them which is more than they were going for on the open market. My understanding is that the deal with Brideview which was supposed to be a done deal a few weeks ago has still not gone through. btw Part V was not enforced for Togher Rd or Atkins Hall before they were built.

What do you mean when you say "The developer has great difficulty selling these" - are you talking about the development on togher road? They were never put up for sale - once development finished the first of the pople allocated council houses started moving in!

What do you mean when you say "The developer has great difficulty selling these" - are you talking about the development on togher road? They were never put up for sale - once development finished the first of the pople allocated council houses started moving in!

you're right there Aisha. The developers were just putting the brochure together when they were bought by the council.

It is an OK development though

toghter road had 24 affordable houses, 15 council houses and the rest are still owned by the developer according to the council

anyone got up to date information on Cork City affordable housing situation?

thanks for the info, if you hear anything will you let me know. Seems to be no info out there.

Thanks for the info. If you hear anything will you let me know.

I have been interviewed for the atkins hall apartments, any advice would be very welcome.

Hello, Atkins Hall is on the Lee Road in Cork. Recently cork city hall purchased 96 apartment and are now interviewing elderly people for them. I would like to hear from anyone already living in same or any information.

Doesanyone know of other areas in Cork south were there is affordable housing available? They dont seem to advertise really?

hi, does anybody know what houses the council has for sale in rathcormac

Back