Affordable Housing Initiative Greater Dublin Area-Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow

That's the way it's looking at the minute anyway but if we both think we are around the 60 mark and neither of us have heard anything yet they may have to extend their deadline (12/04/07). Surely if they expect to have contacted 113 applicants by next Thursday they would be half way there by now??

hopefully they dont extend the deadline again im getting no work done waiting on my phone to ring.

Hi Anxious,

I was going to ask earlier if you had heard anything but obviously not. I know how you feel I haven't done much here either and I was sure they were going to give me a call this morning. Maybe they are just going to send out letters.

Hi Anxious,

My girlfriend rang the council and they said they would not be ringing applicants they will just be sending letters out to the successful applicants this week.

Hi Bobbyg

Oh well at least i can stop looking at my phone now and start looking for the postman:rolleyes: . I doubt all 113 applicants will be notified by tomorrow though.I will be keeping my fingers and everything else crossed

Hi Anxious,

I just got a call from the council to confirm my address (I have a weird address) as they were posting me a letter today. The lady wouldn't give me any other information over the phone but she said it should be a good sign to be getting a letter "this early". The lady on the phone was really nice but she just would not give me any more info then that.... I will just have to wait for the letter!

oh that is brilliant news il keep my fingers crossed for you.At this stage i just want to know either way so i can decide what I am going to do next. Well hopefully you will have your letter by tomorrow :)

Congrats on your offer. It looks like I am going to be offered something from Sth Dub too. I am concerned tho that apts in tallaght are overpriced now that prices in general are falling. Priorsgate are selling privately between €383k & €430k. They have been on the market for a few mths now and don't seem to be shifting. If we have to pay clawback to the council in the future we should be very concerned about the market value now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Everyone on the list now is within a certain income bracket and so could afford to buy privately in developments in Santry for example. After kitting out an affordable apt bought at €280k you might be looking at about a total cost of €295k. What is so good about these apts that the affordable price is close to the private price of 'ready to walk into' apts in the Larchill in Santry?
My point is that apt prices in general have fallen in the few months since this initiative has been announced. Prices on these apts remain the same. Is anyone else worried that they are now overpriced? I am not worried about not making a profit, just worried that they will not sell at all in the future.

Hi Cheeus,

I am a bit worried about this too. For example if you buy an apartment for 280 and the council value it at 400 that's roughly a 30% discount, if you were then to sell in in the future and it was valued at 380 would you have to give the council the full 30% therefore you would get 266 and loose 14K. I really dont care about making a profit on one of thses apartments but I would be very concerned if i stood to make a loss.

Hi BobbyG,

How do you know there are 113 applicants? I know there are 113 properties allright.

when I spoke to DCC the other week they said they were still reviewing and those not eligible will be notified by phone, so you must be because you never got a call I take it.

I just aked her what if the applicants eligble is a bigger number than the properties and she said then it would go into a draw/lottery.

so is the letter just stating that we are eligible and that we're getting entered into a draw?

I'm sorry, confused about the whole thing.

C

Hi Ci1

I applied to South Dublin not Dublin City and there has been 232 applications sent in to them for 113 properties but they said they were reviewing applicants on a first come first served basis.

Hi BobbyG,

its the same for DCC, there are 113 properties aswell in balgriffan.
Not sure how many applicants though, they wouldn't gave me any numbers.

Hopefully they're at the same stage and I'll be getting a letter aswell.

Best of luck with it anyway, keep us posted.

C.

Hi BobbyG

I seem to remember reading at some stage that there is a safety net in place with AF - that you couldn't make a loss. This was in older literature though. I would definitely want a few things in writing before signing. If the property value falls will the claw back be a percentage of the reduced market value or the original price? FAQs or Info booklets on AF don't seem to cover this.

Someone asked a question about Dublin City's list - they are operating a different system. There are a lot more applicants and allocations will be based on a lottery result. South Dublin are strictly first come first served.

Has anyone been out to the developments in Sth Dub? My preference was for Priorsgate or Adam's town. A lot of the bedrooms in block 1 of priorsgate seem to be overlooked. The plans look good but the development itself looks like it might be setting up dark interiors. I've gone out to the area at different times of the day. Weekdays are lively with a good mix of people about. Sunday afternoon was dead (I guess lots of places are at this time). Wednesday evening @ 8pm there were lots of gangs of older teenagers around and a few people in doorways drinking. I felt a bit intimidated. It's a big decision.

I know anyone offered a place is lucky and in a good position. We still have to give it all careful consideration though. I hope it works out really well for those who accept offers.

Hi Cheeus,

If the property value falls will the claw back be a percentage of the reduced market value or the original price?

great question, have just added it to my correspondance and will be adding more on also after reading the threads.
Sometimes people can be so eager about all this that these are the important questions that are not asked.

What do you mean about the bedrooms being overlooked? and dark interiors?
another thing I'll have to look out for myself if I'm lucky.

C.

Hi Ci1

By bedrooms being overlooked I meant that in block 1 of Priorsgate the apartments have been built around a crescent shape with just a small space in the centre. The bedrooms of some apts seem to be just a few yards from the front of others. Priorsgate is one of the developments in Sth Dublin. I thought that because there is just a small amount of space inbetween apartments the interiors would be dark due to lack of natural light. It is hard to tell just looking in from outside, they might look a bit better nearer completion.

I find that the councils don't have a lot of information available. I don't know how much time people are given to make decisions and choose an apartment. I have found that going directly to estate agents for brochures has made me feel more able to make an informed decision.

Hi Cheeus,

I understand now, so can you get that info from the estate agents etc.??

I know what you mean about the lack of info.
I found the info that DCC sent on the houses in Balgriffin were really good. Compared to fingal or Meath coco.
I viewed the ones in Fingal a few weeks ago, there was no spec whatsover on the apartments size etc. in the info pack.

They should give out the info as standard, we are buying the properties after all. We're entitled to know what we're buying into, its as an important decision to us as every one else.

I'll be looking out for all the things you've outlined for future ref anyway.

Thanks again,

C.

Hi Ci1

Just a quick word on getting info from estate agents:

If you take a look on daft.ie or myhome.ie for the development that you are interested in the advertisement will have the name of the estate agent dealing with it. Where apartments are also being sold privately there will always be an estate agent with details.

For example I discovered that the agent selling Priorsgate and Arena Court in Tallaght is Hooke & MacDonald. I went in to their office as if I was a private buyer and requested the brochures and floor plans. I asked if there was going to be any affordable housing in priorsgate and was told that it would be mixed in with privately bought apts and not all together. Even though you cannot identify the exact apts available it gives you a good feel for the development and an idea of what to look out for / what questions to ask.

I think it is terrible that the councils would not have the dimensions of apartments available. The size is very important when it comes to sell in the future. This info is available so it should be made available to people viewing. A private buyer wouldn't accept less.

Hope this helps.

Hi Cheeus, thats good advice.

Will do that this weekend, am going to see the showhouses.

I called Dublin co co today. The draw will be in the next few weeks, the lady would not give numbers but said that everyone has a 1 in 6 chance of being pulled out of the draw.

Not great, but fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the advice,

C.

Just a quick update, I received a letter from the council today to say we are going to be offered Priors Gate which was our first choice so we are over the moon!

if you don't mind, how much are they offering them for? my brother is waiting on an offer (and so am i but my application was in after they'd already received enough applicants), something to keep in mind is that the price for arena court here
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=208862&search=1
seems a good bit less than what sdcc had those apartments as costing in their original ads, could go straight into negative equity and have a clawback. after all that, congrats!!

Back