Affordable Housing Initiative Greater Dublin Area-Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow

Has anyone that apllied to this initiative heard anything from the council yet?

As far as I know Meath coco and Dublin coco were starting to review the applications from today, all the forms had to be in by Friday 02nd March so might be another few days before anyone hears anything.

Not sure about Fingal, there income limit was €55k so I was not eligible to apply to them. They always have to be different, not sure when they're reviewing applications.

C.

I applied to South Dublin and I got my application in fairly early. I have rang them but they never seem to give a definite answer, they said it might be a few weeks. I guess i am just a tad too enthusiastic.

Theres nothing wrong with that, you could end up with your own home out of all this so why not be enthusiastic!

Unfortunately, I've been dealing and not very successfully with Fingal for a year now and they have knocked the enthusiasm out of me :(

I have applied to Meath co co and Dublin co co so fingers crossed...hope you hear something soon!

c.

Hi Guys,
Just to give you some encouragment on the affordable home front. I applied to Fingal last year and was approved in the summer, so far I've been offered meakstown, kettles lane, lusk. All of these were apartments even though I specified house, and they were all tiny. I have a young child so I refused all of the above.

The part that gets me (and boy oh boy will I be giving TD's a run for their money when the come canvassing) is that given the clawback on affordable housing it not something that you enter into lightly, yet it seems that about 90% of units are 2 bed shoeboxes! Are the county councils / builders supplying houses for the short term needs of people? It doesn't seem realistic for a single parent like me to live in a two bed that I am more or less tied into for the next twenty years due to financial restrictions. Even if I wanted to trade up to a three bed in ten years time, by the time I'd pay the clawback to fingal I'd be back where I started with insufficant deposit and medium earnings. Really I think they need to introduce minimum sizes on affordable properties and the council should insist that the builders build and finish the affordable houses to the same standard as the rest of the homes in the development. I have seen kitchens with a gas boiler press and only three more for storage! Also regular homes in the development are 1050 sq ft, fully fitted wardrobes in all bedrooms yet the affordable ones are 900sq ft and no fitted wardrobes.

Moaning all done.....My feeling is that affordable houses are too good to last all things considered. My advice is to get saving, get on the list, and gt out there viewing everything on the market, you'll be surprised where affordable houses turn up.
F

Last edited by a moderator:
dun laoghaire - rathdown seem to be picking the worst aspects of the new schemes, this 'new' lottery means that those who've had their applications in for 2 years are treated the same as new people being added to the list now by the recent advertising, their booklet is also very confusing as it is unclear which income limit applies - they have 2 different calculations, one based on single person upper income limit of 40k (and a weird calculation for couples 2.5 x higher income plus once second income must be less than 100k) but the other one is based on whether or not your mortgage repayments would be over 35% of monthly income - how do you know beforehand which will apply if you don't know whether you'll get a 1-bed or 2-bed?

From my reading of the information the income level of €40, 000 for single earners or €100,000 for couples applies to the apartments they are going to build in Goatstown on the councils land under 1999 affordable housing which will be about 39 apartments. The remainder about 200 apartments in Booterstown, Sandyford, Stepaside and Dun Laoghaire in private developments your eligibility will be assessed on the market value of the apartment and if the monthly mortgage repayments exceed 35% of your net income then you qualify. I think they will allocate 1 beds to single applicants and 2 beds to couples.

i think you're probably right, i only had time for a quick glance at it yesterday, the guide isn't exactly user-friendly, it seems a bit odd to have different criteria within the same lottery though, don't you think? the south dublin one was way clearer, think they should have looked at that first.

Clawback on affordable housing

I have a query if anyone can help me. I purchased a property in dublin under the affordable housing scheme using a shared ownership loan and i understood that if i sold the property i was liable for the clawback. However i went to remortage my property buying out the shared ownership loan for a normal mortgage but the council told me to buy out the shared ownership loan i would have to pay the clawback even though i am not selling the property. I knew nothing about this is there anything i can do.

Re: Clawback on affordable housing

I have a query if anyone can help me. I purchased a property in dublin under the affordable housing scheme using a shared ownership loan and i understood that if i sold the property i was liable for the clawback. However i went to remortage my property buying out the shared ownership loan for a normal mortgage but the council told me to buy out the shared ownership loan i would have to pay the clawback even though i am not selling the property. I knew nothing about this is there anything i can do.

See this post http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=45120&highlight=affordable+housing

But why should you have to pay the clawback when you re-mortgage that doesn't pay any sense. As you don't have to pay the clawback unless you sell up within 20 years. What happens if you stay in house for 20 years, Who will refund the clawback to you?

Surely this is anti competition if you cannot get a mortgage.
Are you have to pay the clawback back and not the rental equity.

When you avail of shared ownership you get mortgage equity and rental equity.

Lets say you got an home for €200,000
You own 50% so your original mortgage was for €100,000
You pay dcc rent on the 50% that they own. In the past you just had to get a mortgage to buy out Dublin City Councils Share.

However with the Clawback I believe that you only pay the clawback when you sell the property.

Hi

Has anyone that applied to this initiative heard anything back from their local councils? South Dublin is supposed to be processing applications at the moment and I was just wondering if anybody has been lucky enough to have been offered a home?

Hi, was on to dublin cc today.

they are nearly finished reviewing applicants eligibility. Anyone not eligible will be notified by phone.
the lady said they hope to have the draw for balgriffan/clongriffan done in the next 2 weeks.
also rang meath, they say another 2 weeks also for their properties in slane/dunboyne.

C.

I also applied for the affordable housing initative with SDCC and got the forms in very early and still have heard nothing back yet.As you can prob quess Im getting very impatient. Does anyone know what happens if or when the council tell you your eligable?

Hi Anxious,

I think I was roughly 60th with my forms in but I still have heard nothing, I am getting tired of ringing them at this stage because they keep telling me the same story. I really thought I was going to hear something (good or bad) this week but now I am more pessimistic. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Hi Bobby,

I was also in very early with all my forms, 2 or 3 days after the advertisement appeared in the paper. I have been onto Fingal things are moving very slow. Although the advertisement lead me to believe this was a new scheme and that applications would be considered from 02 March 07, this is not the case. People who applied for Ongar months ago will take priority on this scheme.

Hi Norton,

I have only applied to SDCC and have being on to them a few time and they said that it was a seperate initiative and was first come first served, so it's a bit strange that Fingal are operating a different system. I was also under the impression that the closing date was 02 March 07 but SDCC are still taking applications to this day.

SDCC have information on their website propertypath.ie

"As of close of business on 03/04/07 a total of 232 completed applications have been received. The processing of applications has commenced. Initially the first 113 eligible applicants will be notified by close of business on Thursday 12/04/07."

i would have thought i was around the 60 mark too and was also hoping to hear this week. I guess we will just have to wait until next thursday to find out :( .

Back