Why is Bitcoin "digital gold" crashing right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faced with the terror that our Indian friend was faced with last week, Dukey, would you be inclined to follow his lead and stuff this kilo of the shiny stuff in a place less than shiny? =>

Faced with that prospect, would you still not consider bitcoin? I mean, I have not tried it but I'm guessing given the choice I'd prefer to remember 12 keywords than to destroy myself but if there's one thing this thread has taught me, we don't all think the same way :-D

@MaxGordon - Speaking of weighing things up, glad to hear the thread has been helpful.

Last edited:
I just think it's new and it takes time for people to get their head around it. Main thing is to have an open mind. Some posters seem more concerned with winning an argument or engaging in a peacock-like display of their intellectual plumage than trying to understanding what's happening.

I just think it's new and it takes time for people to get their head around it. Main thing is to have an open mind. Some posters seem more concerned with winning an argument or engaging in a peacock-like display of their intellectual plumage than trying to understanding what's happening.

@MaxGordon Don't be fooled by technological determinism in the 'digital age'. Just because Bitcoin is digital it does not mean that it cant be subjected to critique. Too often people are ostracised for commentating negatively on technology and change (see Lepore)

The premise of the Bitcoin whitepaper has failed in its short history. I have at various times held BTC since 2010 and never once have I purchased any good with it. In fact it seems to be doing the opposite, western capitalism is legitimising BTC for their own gain, see recent articles posted by tecate.

What BTC has introduced is the novel technology now called 'Blockchain'. This perhaps has the most benefits and hence Central bank digital currencies are being studied.

I don't believe in technological determinism, the success of technology is not purely a result of the technology. There are many social, political, economic and cultural reasons that are more important and require consideration. In my humble opinion BTC has succumbed to capitalism.

But as most of the argument here uses 'future' observation as evidence and I don't have a crystal ball there's not much else to say.

@MaxGordon Don't be fooled by technological determinism in the 'digital age'.
You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about 'technological determinism'. Let me introduce you to 'the inevitability thesis'.

Just because Bitcoin is digital it does not mean that it cant be subjected to critique.
Bitcoin and decentralised crypto has been subjected to all manner of critique and attacks (literal and otherwise) over the course of its short life.

The premise of the Bitcoin whitepaper has failed in its short history.
Time and time again, we see the same mistake. You want to judge a technology that hasn't settled yet. UX/UI are being worked on, layer 2 solutions are being worked on. Ignore all of that if you wish. Nobody has suggested that bitcoin is in an ideal situation today as a transactional currency. However, at least be open to the possibility that there may be further development in that respect.

I have at various times held BTC since 2010 and never once have I purchased any good with it.
Whilst I acknowledge its shortcomings, I have and I do.

In fact it seems to be doing the opposite, western capitalism is legitimising BTC for their own gain, see recent articles posted by tecate.
Is that such a bad thing? That it has a use case as a store of value and it's being 'exploited' through that use case as a hedge? What on earth is wrong with that? It's available for that use case to the individual, a corporation or a government.

What BTC has introduced is the novel technology now called 'Blockchain'. This perhaps has the most benefits and hence Central bank digital currencies are being studied.
So at this point, you're saying that new tech isn't bad anymore - now its good?
CBDCs are coming - but they're not going to fulfill the same role as decentralised currency ...in the same way as corporate digital currency will take a different position again (i.e. Facebook's Libra, etc.).

I don't believe in technological determinism, the success of technology is not purely a result of the technology. There are many social, political, economic and cultural reasons that are more important and require consideration. In my humble opinion BTC has succumbed to capitalism.
On what basis? Why is a digital store of value not useful to society?

But as most of the argument here uses 'future' observation as evidence
Nonsense. You are not open to the potential for further development relative to bitcoin and its eco-system. Nobody has relied upon 'future observation as evidence' here. In my case, I've acknowledged that bitcoin can still fail as a project. However, in following the industry, anyone can see that the technology is being worked on. Maybe those developments will be positive - and maybe they won't. However, what i'm not down with is this approach of saying its not working as intended today - so its done.
Move away from that charge of technological determinism to that inevitability thesis and its more of a case of..."We create technology first, and then we find its uses."

Last edited:
Bitcoin is up 60% year to date vs. gold's 25%.
I was not having a swipe at bitcoin - go easy on the paranoia.
It was Mr Saylor who noted that over the last two years bitcoin has moved sideways. He cited this as a positive as it needed to catch up on other "luxury assets".

Nonsense. You are not open to the potential for further development relative to bitcoin and its eco-system. Nobody has relied upon 'future observation as evidence' here. In my case, I've acknowledged that bitcoin can still fail as a project. However, in following the industry, anyone can see that the technology is being worked on. Maybe those developments will be positive - and maybe they won't. However, what i'm not down with is this approach of saying its not working as intended today - so its done.
Move away from that charge of technological determinism to that inevitability thesis and its more of a case of..."We create technology first, and then we find its uses."

Tecate, I am sorry but are you saying technological determinism is not real? That is ridiculous, it is a theory, and we clearly come from different schools of thoughts.

I have never said the technology underpinning Bitcoin is bad or in fact that Bitcoin is bad. I have simply critiqued it objectively in the context of the social, political and cultural aspects of technology adoption. The potential benefits are being examined and implemented in the likes of CBDC, and Libra. Just as you suggest not to critique a technology that is still evolving, then surely you are open to the fact that the evolution and adoption of the technology may render Bitcoin useless?

Lastly (and I really mean it this time), the Bitcoin whitepaper preceded to propose a utopian currency free from the perceived manipulation and control of central banks in the advent of the financial crisis. The financial crisis caused by the unrepentant growth of capitalism through free markets and deregulation. I have been involved in bitcoin, more or less from the start, and I personally find it ironic that the legitimisation of BTC has not been through the intended use but as another mechanism for capitalists to make money. The legitimisation of BTC is being gained by the very institutions it was set up to take control away from.

You are telling me not to judge a technology because it is evolving, so I would like to understand as a last request what is your 'vision' of where BTC will end up in 5, 10, 50 years?

Here's a little snippet from a published by Fidelity Investments last week:

"Another consequence of bitcoin entering a more mature and steady stage of its life cycle is that we expect its volatility to decline in tandem, resulting in continued favorable risk-adjusted returns."
Read the report. A lot of effort into proving bitcoin is an "alternative asset". I for one needed no convincing that it is "alternative", unfortunately there was no attempt to prove it was an asset.
Lots to chew on. One nugget is the following. Bonds are hugely overpriced - agreed. If even 1% of current bonds migrated to bitcoin that would be an increase of $500bn market cap, thus increasing the price to 35,000$. Now if 1% of current bonds migrated to Ryanair shares its share price would increase by 4,000%. Of course this latter speculation would rightly be rubbished on the basis of fundamentals like revenues and profit. With the former there are no such fundamentals and so Fidelity can get away with such outrageous speculations.
John Kelleher of Investopedia hit the nail on the head. Bitcoin's ultimate resting place will rely on it achieving Satoshi's objective of being accepted as an alternative medium of exchange. We are nowhere near justifying $200bn market cap, never mind an extra $500bn, based on use as a medium of exchange and we never will be IMHO.
Interestingly Fidelity covers this point indirectly by observing that the narrative over bitcoin's role in life is constantly changing. It also points to a rather novel metric for predicting its trajectory - the number of tweets it is attracting. I wish Mr. Saylor good luck with his gamble.

I have never said the technology underpinning Bitcoin is bad or in fact that Bitcoin is bad.
Lets call a spade a spade. In this more recent exchange, you suggested you are a 'proponent' of bitcoin. That's not in any way true. There's nothing at all wrong with not being - but let's acknowledge the fact as we find it to be.

I have simply critiqued it objectively in the context of the social, political and cultural aspects of technology adoption.
Another point of clarification. At best, you are no more 'objective' than anyone else with your claim of 'simply critiquing'. You came on here with an accusation regarding my approach to this discussion - you couldn't back it up (because it wasn't true). That said, everyone does have some level of inherent bias, you included.

The potential benefits are being examined and implemented in the likes of CBDC, and Libra.
CBDCs and Corporate digital money like Libra are nothing like bitcoin or decentralised crypto. I welcome their arrival as they will highlight that very fact as we go forward.

Just as you suggest not to critique a technology that is still evolving,
That's a misquote. I didn't say not to critique the technology. What I did say was that as someone critiques it, they do so with the acceptance and knowledge that whatever faults are found today may not be true as we go forward.
then surely you are open to the fact that the evolution and adoption of the technology may render Bitcoin useless?
I'm open to bitcoin not succeeding for a multitude of reasons - that's why I'm on record as saying that bitcoin could still fail.

the Bitcoin whitepaper preceded to propose a utopian currency free from the perceived manipulation and control of central banks in the advent of the financial crisis. The financial crisis caused by the unrepentant growth of capitalism through free markets and deregulation. I have been involved in bitcoin, more or less from the start, and I personally find it ironic that the legitimisation of BTC has not been through the intended use but as another mechanism for capitalists to make money. The legitimisation of BTC is being gained by the very institutions it was set up to take control away from.
This has been a point of discussion within the crypto community over many years already. My personal view is that I don't see how it can't be many things to many different groups. However, if the use case currently centres on store of value - and that can be of benefit in these capitalist markets that it seems you abhor, yet also be useful to individuals for the protection of their wealth on this basis, who cares?

You are telling me not to judge a technology because it is evolving
Again, that's not what I said. What I said was that when you critique it, that you understand and acknowledge that your current assessment is not your final assessment - and the things that you find fault with bitcoin today may not be an issue going forward. Practically everyone on the other side of the debate in this discussion fails to do that.

what is your 'vision' of where BTC will end up in 5, 10, 50 years?
My understanding is changing all the time as this progresses. Like bitcoin itself, it's formative. However, as I see it today, bitcoin will continue to establish itself as a store of value. We will continue to see cycles of price on an iterative basis as price discovery of a finite, nascent asset continues and as adoption (which comes in different guises) continues.
During this time, I expect that we will have some serious clashes in terms of regulation around the world. That aspect remains a major threat to those that speculate on bitcoin. However, I don't see it as an existential threat to bitcoin itself. A full court press could only retard the rate of progress of the decentralised digital currency. It would be a major setback but it won't stop it. Furthermore, by taking this approach, the powers that be will lose any such influence they might have had over the crypto.
I believe that the Lindy effect is relevant here - and that every day above ground makes bitcoin stronger and harder for governments to tackle. For me, the genie is out of the bottle and they won't be putting it back in.
The most important factor for me though is further progress in terms of usability. Multi-sig needs to be developed such that its easy for people to utilise - making it easier for people to hold the cryptocurrency without sweating about the personal responsibility that comes with that storage. Other aspects need to be changed - and there's work underway. End users shouldn't have to see a lot of the geeky stuff that currently comes with using bitcoin. Bitcoin addresses are a case in point. It should be possible to move btc via blockchain based domain (email) addresses. It already is - but this has to be pushed out there.
As bitcoin continues to mature as a digital asset, I believe that its inherent volatility will continue to dissipate. That's going to play out over quite a number of years. As it does so, it improves its usability as a transactional currency. On that, there are still question marks - as we continue to await further development with layer 2 solutions like lightning network. However, it's more than reasonable to expect that bitcoin has an opportunity to re-emerge as a more credible day to day currency. Even if that never happens, the reality is that it can be used right now on a transactional basis. I accept that there are limitations but it will always hold that over gold.
That's my view as to where this is heading. However, it comes with the disclaimer that despite what has been suggested here, my views are subject to change. I try and keep myself as well informed as I possibly can as things change quickly in this space.

I bet your own feathers were all of a flutter after that poetic flourish.
I think that's exactly the sort of stuff that he was talking about.
Read the report. A lot of effort into proving bitcoin is an "alternative asset". I for one needed no convincing that it is "alternative", unfortunately there was no attempt to prove it was an asset.
In your opinion Dukey - as I've been over this with you plenty of times and I don't know if there's any way of proving such a thing to you specifically (whereas there would be with plenty of others).

Of course this latter speculation would rightly be rubbished on the basis of fundamentals like revenues and profit. With the former there are no such fundamentals and so Fidelity can get away with such outrageous speculations.
See above - it's exactly the same point that you're stuck on.

We are nowhere near justifying $200bn market cap, never mind an extra $500bn, based on use as a medium of exchange and we never will be IMHO.
The very same - see above. You're not getting past go because you fail to understand the fundamental proposition that bitcoin brings with it.
Interestingly Fidelity covers this point indirectly by observing that the narrative over bitcoin's role in life is constantly changing.
To my point further above - this is not a settled technology so that makes complete sense.

It also points to a rather novel metric for predicting its trajectory - the number of tweets it is attracting.
I'm sure that they're not hanging their hat on that metric alone. However, I can see how in combination with a whole host of other metrics, there's some logic to it. It speaks to network effect.

Lastly, we didn't get your answer on the Indian conundrum in post #524 above. What would it be Dukey - shove it up yer jacksy or use bitcoin?:D

Last edited:
Lets call a spade a spade. In this more recent exchange, you suggested you are a 'proponent' of bitcoin. That's not in any way true. There's nothing at all wrong with not being - but let's acknowledge the fact as we find it to be.

Tecate, I am a proponent of anything that has made me 1,000%+ returns. This was my problem for a long time and in the early days of crypto, I couldn't objectively separate bitcoin from the returns and the premise, I was 100% committed much like you are that this is the change the world needs. I have worked in the industry, I have consulted with Institutions on the topic, and currently, even consult on CBDC. I was always ready with an article or an angle to refute criticism and keep a progressive view. My only regret is hindsight, if I had that crystal ball back then, I don't think any of us expected 2017.

It is only in the last two years through non-technical study. that I have really started to reflect BTC / Blockchain, in terms of social, economic and political contexts. As you rightly point out, I have a bias, but you got it wrong, I am not here to question your faith, I am here to present an alternative view. My personal opinion much of the debate on bitcoin doesn't even ask the right questions. I do have a bias, and in this case, I present a fair view given that I currently would benefit from continued adoption of btc if it meant an appreciation in value.

Why does the world need BTC as a store of value? Before you jump in with the 'oh it is decentralized, the supply is finite, it can be transferred across boundaries, doesn't need to be stored with a bank'.

Ask yourself, why do we really need it? is it going to change the fact that nearly half the world survive on less than $5.50 a day?

This is what I want to bring to the conversation. I think it would benefit you from taking a step back and few some of these points. But alas, you will probably just pick a part each of my sentences, without really asking yourself the questions.

Reactions: Leo
The very same - see above. You're not getting past go because you fail to understand the fundamental proposition that bitcoin brings with it.
I detect a rabbit hole. As Fidelity says the narrative keeps changing. But I buy into John Kelleher of Investopedia's view that it is first and last intended as an alternative medium of exchange. A further Fidelity point is the vast number of small "retail" holdings that dominate the space. Their narrative is as variable as Twitter itself, but boils down to one motivation, the hope of making a few bob or maybe even a life changing fortune on a speculaton
Lastly, we didn't get your answer on the Indian conundrum in post #524 above. What would it be Dukey - shove it up yer jacksy or use bitcoin?:D
I think the question should be put to the Indian gentleman himself. Clearly he was not impressed by Fidelity's long winded promo of bitcoin as an alternative asset.

As Fidelity says the narrative keeps changing.
Did they actually say that it "keeps" changing, Dukey? I believe that to be wishful thinking on your part.

A further Fidelity point is the vast number of small "retail" holdings that dominate the space.
What's the mystery here? This whole thing came up with retail (even if wall street are getting involved now).

but boils down to one motivation, the hope of making a few bob or maybe even a life changing fortune on a speculaton
make a profit? How very dare they! It's nice to see you embrace your inner-Fidel like this.

I think the question should be put to the Indian gentleman himself.
boo! (or more accurately, poo!). Even with the prospect of something like this, you resist saying that bitcoin would be preferable. If anyone meets his Dukeness in an airport, be aware that he may be walking funny.

Did they actually say that it "keeps" changing, Dukey? I believe that to be wishful thinking on your part.
No they didn't actually say "keeps". Below is what they did say. I know I have you on the ropes when you resort to such pedantry.
Fidelity said:
Another angle on bitcoin’s lack of movement with traditional assets is the absence of an agreed-upon narrative. One of the reasons we kicked off this series was to explore bitcoin’s dynamic narratives. At any given time, the narratives have ranged from bitcoin as a means of payment, a reserve currency for digital assets, a store of value asset, or a portfolio optimization tool, among others.xxiii This lack of consensus could be an important reason why bitcoin has not traded in line with other assets to date. If the lack of consensus on bitcoin’s narrative persists, it may continue to be uncorrelated with all other assets.

I don't think any of us expected 2017.
Agreed. My expectation was for that price accumulation to play out over the course of years.

It is only in the last two years through non-technical study. that I have really started to reflect BTC / Blockchain, in terms of social, economic and political contexts. As you rightly point out, I have a bias, but you got it wrong, I am not here to question your faith, I am here to present an alternative view. My personal opinion much of the debate on bitcoin doesn't even ask the right questions. I do have a bias, and in this case, I present a fair view given that I currently would benefit from continued adoption of btc if it meant an appreciation in value.
I understand where you're going with this. However, you have to appreciate the nature of this specific thread. i.e. it starts out from the get go as a comparison with gold - in fulfilling that same store of value use case...and that no less within the context of an 'alternative investments' sub-forum.

Why does the world need BTC as a store of value? Before you jump in with the 'oh it is decentralized, the supply is finite, it can be transferred across boundaries, doesn't need to be stored with a bank'.
Ask yourself, why do we really need it? is it going to change the fact that nearly half the world survive on less than $5.50 a day?
Firstly, I have been living in the developing world over the course of the past 3 years where the vast majority of people live on minimum wage (€210/month). As you've identified, there are many different facets to this. I think this is a separate discussion entirely worthy of its own thread.
In any event, people in the developing world need that store of value more than you or I. There's been much discussion about usd/euro - but when we get into these countries, then that's when you see people being robbed blind by their own governments/government institutions/etc. The guy earning $5.50 a month may not need a store of value so much - but move up from that just a little and people of modest means still have their savings. So if they have their savings in a currency that debases itself within months by 10-15% (it can be much more but i'm using an example from right here), you think that they still dont need a better store of value?
That said, the guy earning $5.50 may well be depending on a sibling/family member abroad to send money home - and he's getting half of what he should because remittance services are robbing people blind. That's moving away from the store of value use case but its relevant to that group of people. Where I'm living, the most popular remittance service takes 10% - and that's just for transfers in the same currency - within the country!
I know of a buddy who's ex girlfriend keeps some savings in his US bank account - because it's illegal to hold USD within the local banking system. She would be on €210/month - and clearly she's doing that because she believes that the government are going to destroy her meagre savings.

Have a look at post #524 and see how far ordinary people will go to try and maintain the little bit of wealth they have. I'm assuming the Indian in question was a migrant trying to get his savings back from Dubai without having the government take 18% of it away. Wealthy people usually don't have to resort to inserting a store of value up their rectums.

This is what I want to bring to the conversation. I think it would benefit you from taking a step back and few some of these points. But alas, you will probably just pick a part each of my sentences, without really asking yourself the questions.
I think its a different conversation albeit a worthy one in its own right. I find myself equally conflicted in that I didn't get involved with bitcoin initially as a speculative asset. That was accidental - albeit that I couldn't possibly ignore it. I believe that there can be two aspects to this. Yes, it's an opportunity for wall street types and others to make $$$ - but I still believe that bitcoin (and decentralised currency generally) have the ability to act as a societal good in so many ways.

Last edited:
No they didn't actually say "keeps". Below is what they did say. I know I have you on the ropes when you resort to such pedantry.
'On the ropes', Dukey?:D In case we have late-comers to this discussion, that should bring them up to speed as to how you're approaching this discussion.
Overall they're still not painting the very same picture as you're contriving to do, Dukey. You realise that bitcoin not being correlated with any other asset is a good thing, right? Other than that, I know from your past scribblings that you think its a mortal sin that bitcoin is not on point first and foremost with a transactional currency use case this very day as opposed to a store of value use case. I think that's plain wrong.

@tecate
Whilst we are on metaphor here are a few of your below the belt punches.
I cited one of Mr Saylor's reasons for buying $425m of btc being it having moved sideways over the last 2 years. You twist that into me having a dig at bitcoin.
I referenced the Fidelity take on changing narrative and somehow you interpret this as me through "wishful thinking" erroneously quoting them as using the word "keeps". What is that all about?
I pointed out that the bitcoin marketplace is dominated by small retail investors having a punt. You disingenuously interpret that as me making a morality point when clearly I was pointing out how far bitcoin is from achieving its purpose of being a medium of exchange.
Then, most bizarre of all, you give the example of an Indian gentleman who graphically illustrated that he is most unconvinced that bitcoin is digital gold, and somehow you seem to interpret that as one up for bitcoin. Go figure.

You realise that bitcoin not being correlated with any other asset is a good thing, right?
But let's get it in perspective, and not misrepresent its significance. Fidelity point out for example that 3% diversification into bitcoin even at its peak at start of 2018 would have delivered 1% superior performance. Here's how the math works:
Take as numéraire a basket of conventional assets. Then let us start at 1/1/18 with a portfolio of 100 being 97 conventional 3 bitcoin. Bitcoin then falls 2/3ds against the numéraire and the portfolio becomes 98, being 97 conventional 1 bitcoin. It is rebalanced to be 95 conventional 3 bitcoin. Bitcoin then doubles in value versus the numéraire and the portfolio is 101, hey presto! 1% better than a 100% conventional portfolio even though bitcoin has fallen a third against conventional assets.
But this is just a mathematical quirk which would be the exact opposite if the path had been bitcoin beginning with a big jump and then falling back.
Fidelity sort of explain this but they still leave the impression that there is sorcery at play here - even if bitcoin does badly the diversification effect will more than compensate. That is grossly misleading and I am a tad surprised that Fidelity would risk its reputation in this way.

@Duke of Marmalade , your penultimate post is laughable and isn't worthy of a response.
As regards your last one, maybe Fidelity might poach you as clearly you can help them protect the 7 trillion they have under management right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back