Who will form the next government? - The results

Interesting. Well I don't think Dublin Bay South is "left" (ask the Boss) and I don't think Dun Laoghaire is left (ask the Duke). So it is certainly problematic to count the Greens as left. (the Duke did not vote Green, I hasten to clarify). In fact is being Green not the ultimate in Bourgeois indulgence?
The greens will be the party to bring fairness into the political system halting the movement to the extreme left/extreme right,The greens would not have being bullied by the extreme left over water charges or bullied by the extreme right over bringing fairness into the political system,Me think,

In fact is being Green not the ultimate in Bourgeois indulgence?

but what is "Bourgeois" in the irish context? FF and FG could definitely not be classed as bourgeois whereas the Tories probably could be, maybe only Charlie Haughey lived up to it with the big house in Kinsealy and the horses and the charvet shirts. Not in a million years could a Trump like figure get elected in Ireland, I think it boils down to our innate begrudgery.

Last edited:
I don't believe the huge shift to supporting SF just happened in the past few weeks. I believe much of it was protest.

I'd agree their base support is indeed far lower. A Telegraph article over the weekend spoke to a few who voted their way but already regret it after the 'up the 'ra' chants. I think a lot of the commentary is right in that people want change, but they don't want radical change, so you get warning shots to the system like the Peter Casey presidential vote or the shinners this time.

looks like FG are now ruling out coalition with FF, some of their TDs were revolting at the idea and want to go into opposition. So after this election no party appears to want to go into government. Maybe the electorate has become too fickle and ruling the country has become too difficult and politically dangerous therefore it is much better to be in opposition. SF proved this so dramatically in this new era of populism.

Back