WHats the strategy in calling an election for BJ?

Individual travel across the border won't be an issue for Irish passport holders either way. The Free Travel Area continues irrespective.

But how will UK authorities know if you are Irish, unless they stop you and ask for id?

In 2016 the people voted to leave the EU. For 3 years Britain under Theresa May failed to leave. In 3 months Boris succeeds in leaving the EU.

Can anyone explain in words that will fit on the side of a bus, what’s wrong with that.

I think Boris will be PM for a decade.

On the one hand you would have to agree cremeegg that Boris is doing exactly what he set out to do and at least he is being decisive and getting closure on Brexit. Also, despite all the howls of protest, does anyone really think that parliament could come to any agreement between now and October 31 if it was not shut down? They have had 3 years to get this right so I very much think the cries of unfairness ring hollow.
There is still a little chink of hope that all BJ is doing here is trying to force an early election so that he can get his majority and secure a deal on Brexit after, however it is only a tiny chink of hope!
All that said, you can't help but think that Boris is quite reckless in his approach here and if the gamble doesn't pay off it will be Britain that suffers most ... and Ireland of course will suffer quite badly as a result.

It will be interesting to see the number of current conservative MPs who stand as independents if we do wind up with an October election.

The level of damage being done to the UK reputation is unbelievable. Confucius really had his tongue in his cheekwen he said, "May you live in interesting times ".

In 2016 the people voted to leave the EU. For 3 years Britain under Theresa May failed to leave. In 3 months Boris succeeds in leaving the EU.

Can anyone explain in words that will fit on the side of a bus, what’s wrong with that.

May failed to take the UK out with a deal. Johnson doesn't care about having a deal and is quiet happy to crash out of the EU no matter what.

Very interesting watching what is going on at the moment. Brexiteer Tories saying an election will be about a lot of issues including policing and education. What nonsense, it will be a referendum on Brexit, nothing else.

To be fair to Johnson, he is playing a good game. No matter what happens, he can't really lose. Lose the vote, he will call for a general election which Labour despite all their talk will probably not support. He can now turn around to the British people and say 'I had the EU running running scared until the British Parliament cut the legs from underneath me. Not my fault. It's theirs......' He can then call a general election on this own terms as the Saviour of Brexit and will probably win an overall majority so goodbye DUP.... Followed closely by a deal with the EU....

Or else we are heading for a black hole that no one really knows what it looks like....

The big problem here was that the Tories chose a Remainer rather than a Leaver. That was the main fault of May.
In a democratic referendum the electorate chose to leave the EU. Soon after the Tories chose a new leader (and PM) and it was madness not to chose a Brexiteer, or at the very least, a Leaver. Hence three years of mess.
Now they have a Brexiteer PM. He intends to get the job done and move forward thereafter.
This can be the least worst scenario.

The big problem here was that the Tories chose a Remainer rather than a Leaver. That was the main fault of May.
In a democratic referendum the electorate chose to leave the EU. Soon after the Tories chose a new leader (and PM) and it was madness not to chose a Brexiteer, or at the very least, a Leaver. Hence three years of mess.
Now they have a Brexiteer PM. He intends to get the job done and move forward thereafter.
This can be the least worst scenario.

Essentially this is all nonsense.

It all started going wrong for May when she laid out her red lines - whether to prove her credentials or to appease an element in her party, she laid out red lines which were much more extreme than necessary and went way beyond what was campaigned on in the referendum. That was the point she painted herself into a corner and that was the point it became virtually impossible to meet the red lines AND deliver a Brexit that met other expectations (such as smooth and easy trade).

She didn't need to do that. Even Leave.EU (The Farage vehicle) when it made it's submission to be the official leave campaign before the referendum, put forward a plan that stated that leaving the EU fully would take up to 10 years and would initially require staying inside the single market as part of a staged exit. If she had used that as a template for a plan and managed expectations of the complexity of fully leaving, she would have been in a better position. But her speech did something else as well as putting the UK in an impossible position - it also changed the definition of what the leave vote meant. During the campaign, all leave campaigners quoted Norway, Switzerland and others as the type of leave they wanted - after this speech, the definition of what leave meant became "crashing out"

Boris won't get any job done. He has managed in a few months to put himself in an even worse position than May. He is unlikely to get an exit on Oct 31st, he has lost his majority, his party has split even further and he may soon expel a raft of MP's and there open talks of alliances with the Brexit Party. He has also probably even lost the ability to persuade the Commons to support a General Election on his timing. I suspect the next few weeks will be a horror show for him and senior ministers. Today was bad enough but it's only the start of it.

And one thing that hasn't really been appreciated by Boris et al - even if they got an exit on Oct 31st, they seem to view this as the end of a messy 3 years and just want to get past it. But in reality, that would just be the start - the last 3 years would be the preamble of having to actually negotiate trade deals with the EU and other parties. It won't improve any time soon

Boris won't get any job done. He has managed in a few months to put himself in an even worse position than May.

While I agree with most of the rest of your post, especially that TMs redlines were a disaster. Boris if he can get an election (thanks to the fixed term parliament act, that may not be easy) is in an excellent position. He has a clear message for the electorate, which is consistent with his actions over recent months, and he can promise, however unrealistically to get Brexit done. If he can neutralise Fragae, I think he would sweep an election.

While I agree with most of the rest of your post, especially that TMs redlines were a disaster. Boris if he can get an election (thanks to the fixed term parliament act, that may not be easy) is in an excellent position. He has a clear message for the electorate, which is consistent with his actions over recent months, and he can promise, however unrealistically to get Brexit done. If he can neutralise Fragae, I think he would sweep an election.

I think that is the problem. This is all about taking Farage out of the equation. Imagine being a normal voter in the UK for the general election though who either doesn't support Brexit or has no problem with the backstop if it means a deal getting done. Who do they vote for? Conservatives are not an option. Labour is even a worse option. They will never vote for the Brexit Party so they are left with the liberal democrats who are just 'blah'. That doesn't take into account that it is likely that the Conservatives will be wiped out in Scotland. The DUP will probably suffer in the North albeit the sectarian voting along religious grounds will save them from the worst. I wonder will a new counter party to the Brexit party be set up to run the election on a single issue instead of a referendum? Problem is that they have no-one like Farage and his German dictator like charisma.

Yeah I am not sure. The key will be if he can force an election. This is all built on lies. Borris is promising that he will deliver Brexit come what May. He doesn't care about a deal with Europe. He cares about winning the next general election and defeating the Brexit Party. He might well achieve that.

It is right about one thing though. He as destroyed the Conservative party just like Corbyn has destroyed the Labour party. UK politics is moving into very dangerous times. I can see why Ken Clarke was so happy to getting out last night....

Agreed.

If Boris wins an election the Conservative party will be remade in no time
If he wins and leaves with a deal (which will be essentially similar to Theresa May's) then Yes. If he wins and the UK crashes out the Tories will get the full blame.

Back