What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Got some of the tight fitting running ger there today (Thurs) and its excellent quality and value

Aldi has just won 19 awards at the Great Taste Awards 2011 for some of its Irish sourced products.

Some of the awards were for the Manuka Honey, the Specially Selected Irish Vintage White Cheddar, the new delicious Specially Selected Luxury Toffee Filled Muffins and surprisingly their Rock Shandy which is made in Co. Tipperary, but it is very nice.

You can see the full list of what they won [broken link removed]

Aldi's Salmon Wellington (in pastry, not in a rubber boot) was on special last weekend at 2.99 - very tasty indeed.

Aldi bagged caesar salad kit - €1.99 but best bagged kit i've tasted so far

Wholegrain probiotic low fat yoghurt (500g pot) - delicious, thick, wholesome. €0.99

Both delicious and are regularly bought.

Aldi's ''Harvest Moon'' brand of Rice Cakes with flavored toppings e.g Chocolate and Yogurt flavor. They are almost half the price of the long established Kelkin ones, are a larger packet with more cakes inside and are just as tasty!!! I'm going crazy to buy more but they seem to sell out immediately. I've been to a few aldis this week and last and they are all sold out .

One for the longer haired members on here.....:D

Aldi's 'Carino Professional' hair serums. I use the frizz-smoothing one after straightening. One pump is all i need and gives a lovely sleek, shiny look to the hair that lasts a long time, without the hair looking limp, greasy etc. Have tried a lot of brands, including some of the high street professional names but this is by far the best. Think it's €3.99 for a 50ml bottle (that i've been using a while and it appears to pretty much full still!).

Also Aldi's eye cream (the cheap one, €1.99) is good. I got it to moisturise the eye area, but finding the dark circles are less obvious as well. Isn't too heavy and absorbs well.

Tried the waterproof mascara too, €2.99. It's smaller in size than a standard mascara, but defines the lashes pretty well. Just as good as some of the more expensive ones i have had. Removes well with my eye make up remover too.

Seriously good.

I tried the specially selected steaks again to see if they had improved. Not for me. Get yourself to a good local butcher!

We do some shopping there. However we bought a chicken that it said was Irish.
It tasted steralised and was inedible. We would normally buy our meat in the butchers or in Dunnes.

It tasted steralised and was inedible. We would normally buy our meat in the butchers or in Dunnes.

I buy the 1.3kg cheap chickens from both aldi and lidl on a regular basis and have always found them delicious.

One thing I have noticed is not to keep them in an auto defrost fridge for more than 2 days before cooking as sometimes they may go off, but don't think this is their fault.

bought 2 bags of brussels sprouts in LIDL yesterday, only 22c a bag. got some about 3 weeks ago and they were very nice.

We bought the free range chicken fillets and they were practically inedible too as they were so tough. This happened on 2 occasions with me and once with another family member. Won't buy them again!!

bought 2 bags of brussels sprouts in LIDL yesterday, only 22c a bag. got some about 3 weeks ago and they were very nice.

Aldi were selling Brussels sprouts, bags of carrots, fresh Fyffes pineapples, bags of potatos, and melons for 18c yesterday and only 10c today. I'll be eating them for weeks :)

Bought a pan in Lidl a good few weeks ago. It's deep, with a lid and two small handles on the sides. Last night one of the handles fell off so I wouldn't recommend it.

Funny lol. I love the stories of dodgy stuff from aldi/lidl. Hehehe!

This is my regular aldi list:
Beechwood smoked rashers (best type of bacon in general as there is no water or foam when frying/grilling)
Maple syrup - lovely with fresh pancakes & fresh berries
Not from concentrate juice
Manuka honey (cheap and effective)
Olive oil ( won an award)
Ground linseed
Light cream cheese (only 59c)
Mayonnaise (won an award)
Ketchup. ( won an award)
All cleaning products
Moist toilet paper ( very good value) 4 when ur out and about. Although I did hear they only get them in anois is aris!
Sea salt and pepper grinder ( cheap)
Fruit and veg offer (only sometimes though as there's no date on them and are tasteless!)

Bought a prepared chicken casserole this week, got it in the cooler section, so not a 'ready meal', as such. I thought it would be handy for one evening after work, put in oven and cook for 55 minutes. Definitely wouldn't get again. The most tasteless bit of chicken I ever had, very little meat, and it required a lot longer than 55 minutes to ensure the meat was cooked.

Generally happy with their products, in fairness, but that was one I won't be buying again.

From thread.

1. Chickens (not up to scratch) pun intended.

2. Some of the fruit/Veg lack taste.

3. Face creams are excellent ( my manliness forbids their usage)

4. Running Gear good ( a.am too old b.anoldie in tight stuff!)

%. ps Steiner .2 Bags of sprouts ! brave man.

I did a control test with Specially Selected mini mince pies and Superquinn Luxury mince pies.

The luxury pies won. No contest.

Marion

Aldi = Glutenfree bread :) Washing up liquid :) Washing machine powder :) Sparkling water :) Steak in vacuum packs (Irish Aberdeen Angus) :) and lots more

Lidl = Greek yogurt pot :) Washing machine powder :) glutenfree special offers

Back