What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

The ham joint in Aldi is v good, v lean, just layer of fat on outside, v gud flavour.
Also I bought the fresh turkey crown in lidl at christmas and it was as good as any ive bought.

Agree with babaduck - the Aldi Specially Selected steak is fantastic. I buy the Striploin Aged Angus, 2 very large steaks for 11.99. So tender you don't need a steak knife. Several people have told me the Rib Eye is superb on the barbecue.....roll on the summer!

A few weeks ago I bought a cast iron casserole dish in Aldi (approx €25.00), first few uses everything was fine but a couple of days ago I heated some oil in it (all following the instructions) and the enamel coating on the inside of the dish cracked and fell off. I will try to return it but havent managed to find the receipt yet, if anyone else has bought one be careful with it.

I buy almost everything in Lidl/Aldi, the only thing that i would never buy again though is Lidl cosmetics, bought their Cien moisturiser once and my skin got all itchy and red, gave it to my partner to try it and he had the same problem with it so i will never be buying Lidl cosmetics again. On the other hand i do buy Aldi's cosmetics and am very happy with it.

I buy almost everything in Lidl/Aldi, the only thing that i would never buy again though is Lidl cosmetics, bought their Cien moisturiser once and my skin got all itchy and red, gave it to my partner to try it and he had the same problem with it so i will never be buying Lidl cosmetics again. On the other hand i do buy Aldi's cosmetics and am very happy with it.

My sister swears by the Aldi version of Touche Eclat. It's €4.79 so about 1/5 of the price of the YSL one. She read about it in a magazine and then showed me by using one type under each eye and she was right. Beats the pants off the pricier one!

I prefer Aldi to Lidl

Nice stuff from Aldi:
Pizzas from the fridge and frozen (too nice really because I'm not supposed to buy convenience food).
Garlic Bread
Fruit and veg is fine (no worse or better than any other supermarket, i.e. can be a bit tasteless)
Meat - mince, chicken breasts, whole chicken are grand.
Rashers (balanced lifestyle range only) and Sausages are fine.
Cereal bars in aldi used to be good but now they are yogurt topped and are yuk.
Breakfast cereals (can testify for branflakes - much nicer than tesco own brand and honey nut cornflakes).
Flour, butter, margarine, olive oil, pesto, veg oil, salt, bottled water etc. etc. - can't go wrong
Fruit and nut mixes and generally all the yummies, especially the chocolate bars
Tins of tuna
Pasta shapes, rice
Instant "gold blend" type coffee is ok (but still no carte noir)
Yogurts - great variety in diet ones and the big pots of bio yogurt is yummy
Ice-cream yummy
Oven chips - mighty value and "steak cut"
Salami, pepperoni, cooked meats (especially teh chicken breast slices) are lovely
Feta cheese is lovely - can't get enough of this in our house at the moment.
Aloe toilet rolls are new in aldi and are lovely (but still not as nice as the quilted-ish ones in Lidl in packs of ten)
Bacon bits - so many uses, so little time. Use for quiches, omelettes, pasta sauces, lasagne and other heart-attack food.
Cat food (especially the dry tuna type and the little cat treat sticks) is a big hit with the kitties in my houses
Bars of proper marzipan in dark chocolate - the most orgasmic sweet in the world and needs to be bought in bulk as they only get it in now and then. Loved it in Germany as a kid and nearly died with happiness the first time I saw it here. Great with strawberries and wine or just scoff the lot. If they would only get in the odd bottle of sekt and decent Gluhwein, I could give up on my hankering to move to a Germanic country.
Bread rolls (half cooked assorted dinner rolls) are lovely and handy
Brioche "tear and share" stuff is nice
Naan breads (especially the garlic and coriander one) are nice - still nothing like the ones in an Indian though
Black olives in brine are nice
Cleaning stuff is fine (incl. washing powder, dishwasher stuff, especially the purple fabric softener)

Not so nice:
Steak (sirloin or quick fry) is not great
Taurus cider (shockingly bad - full of additives)
Wine is hit and miss and I can never remember which ones were ok, so I've kinda given up. The bad ones taste "chemically". Don't like the lager either.
Baked beans from aldi are awful - I've never tasted the lidl ones.
Tuna in tins of sauce (small tins like Weight Watchers range) - not nice at all; mostly oily and yucky.
Some of the "fancy" cheeses; brie, german soft cheese are not up to much (not much taste, rubbery).
White bread - not keen on the ordinary sliced pan - kinda a bit "powdery" to me.
Bags of Chocolat au pains are not great

Rebecca

You forgot to mention the Aldi Stollen! Thank goodness for mum!

Lidl eat your heart out, speaking of which, these are cheap foods so please look after yourselves!

This might be a good time to resurrect this thread. Aldi now have Irish skimmed milk at 85c per litre, compared to €1 from M&S or €1.09 at Superquinn.

Liquid Detergents

For some time now we have been using the plastic bottles of almat non bio detergent but for some time now I'm driven demented with itching skin, doctor now sending me for allergy testing, just wondering if this stuff could be the cause of it.

I've never had any alergic reactions to anything b4 but then I've always been a lot younger:D

I see Lidl have opened an store bakery at some of their recently refurbished stores.

And the breads range is great too. Very tasty and cheap, I like it.

PS: Aldi organic Irish chickens are lovely and a snip at 5.99 ( maybe 6.99).

Last edited:
Lidls deluxe range yogurt is lovely, especially the Devon toffee flavour. Rich and creamy with little chunks of toffee in it.

For some time now we have been using the plastic bottles of almat non bio detergent but for some time now I'm driven demented with itching skin, doctor now sending me for allergy testing, just wondering if this stuff could be the cause of it.

I've never had any alergic reactions to anything b4 but then I've always been a lot younger:D

I ve wondered about Amat too! Its clearly a Persil "look a like" but is it the same?

The new Aldi Italian Blend Filter Coffee is very good is just about half the price of its M&S equivalent

Regarding the cheaper washing powder. My sister works part time in a shop selling school uniforms. A lot of people came back with the jumpers saying they were poor quality. Some were sent back to the manufacturer who replied that whatever washing powder was used had destroyed the texture of the material.

I think you can guess which powder was used !

since when did the ostrich steaks come back to aldi i have been waiting a long time for them to come back but havent seen them recently

They were due to have the ostrich on Thurs 2nd June, but they didn't come in for another day or two. Sign up for their email to get regular notifications of their specials.

I find all Aldi & Lidl cleaning products to be rubbish. Have bought pretty much everything in the W3 range in Lidl over the years & had dirty 'freshly washed' clothes, greasy 'degreased' ovens etc. etc

Aldi is great for chocolate, 69c fruit & veg, nuts, baking stuff

I've been using Almat for the last couple of years once I'd seen the Which report on it. It's great stuff, cleans really well and is so much better value than other stuff. It's the non-biological colour one I use.

Back