What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

I've tried some of their breads and I'm a fan! They use sourdough so the taste and texture is a bit different to breads you get in other stores but the ones I tried so far are pretty tasty, and a fair bit cheaper than the likes of Superquinn.

I gave in to curiosity and bought some Austrian pretzels and a rye loaf.

I tried some of the pretzel and it's good, though the one I had wasn't fresh.

They had loads of croissants on display and some guy came in looking for freshly made ones. He was told there wouldn't be another batch 'til what was on display was sold. He took offence at that and went off to complain to a manager.

Any of the chocolate is great in both aldi and lidl...especially the white chocolate with hazelnuts!

Do they sell smked salmon? ;)

Yes. Lidl sell smoked salmon.

Its very good value and fairly consistent good quality for the price.
It compares well with other cheap smoked salmon, but like all cheap smoked salmon, it is not nearly as nice as a top quality one, but you pay a lot for that.

@ Purple, you may want to check out Aldi's smokes salmon

Conor Pope from the Irish Times said it was "top notch"

[broken link removed]

It might have got a mention already, but seeds, manure, compost etc are all good value in Lidl and Aldi, as well as some fairly good gardening equipment.

What not to buy at LIDL

I bought some Danish Fruit bars, on display near the till, thinking they'd be useful for kids lunch boxes. Until I tasted one :eek: .

The rest of the pack is now in the bin.

Hubby picked up some frozen salmon fillets in Aldi at the weekend, skinless & boneless. Had them tonight and they were delicious! Definitely one to add to the list.

Unfortunately Aldi seem to have stopped doing the frozen crispy chinese duck & pancakes starter. It's my favourite Chinese starter but so expensive from the takeaway.

Has anybody tried Aldi suncream while away on holiday?

I have tried it while at home if thats any good ?? Bought some last year and found it a bit sticky but seemed to give good protection. Smell was ok, not great though. I'm not sure what this years stock is like, I bought some yesterday and havnt tried it out yet.

What not to buy in aldi/lidl : Small white plastic binliners.

It seems that a pack of 40 in Dunnes (1.98 euro) is much cheaper per bag than a pack of 25 in Lidl (1.69 euro)

(*prices approximate from memory)

Hubby picked up some frozen salmon fillets in Aldi at the weekend, skinless & boneless. Had them tonight and they were delicious! Definitely one to add to the list.

An update to this - it's the premium frozen salmon in packs of 2 that are gorgeous. The other frozen salmon in a bag of five is not so nice at all.

among other things at LIDL, I like the cooked mackerel in the plastic packet. its down in price to 1 euro, not sure but think it might be a 'permanent' price drop. you can get 2 sandwiches made with whats in the pack, and its not very salty or anything. I think it comes as natural or peppered.

Nappies are excellent in Lidl in quality and value. We had 3 girls in nappies at one stage and we swore by Lidl nappies.

I have a very fussy eater of a dog but have finally found something she likes, the Optidog pate. only 49c for a pack.

We also bought some talking scales for €14.99, very sturdy and accurate.

Back