What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

How is it stored in the shop - e.g. on the shelf, in a refrigerated compartment or in the freezer? That is surely a clue as to how to store it at home.

:D

I only want the kidneys myself - do I have to buy the whole thing? What a rip-off!

I would refrigerate it, is there cream or cheese in it? If there is definately put it in the fridge

I would refrigerate it, is there cream or cheese in it? If there is definately put it in the fridge

That was my instinct, Lyndan, but I was confused by the lack of refrigeration in the shop. I think it has mascarpone cheese inside. Any ideas how long this would last in the fridge?

[broken link removed] suggests that storage instructions should included where required. Maybe there are no "special" (whatever that means) storage instructions in this case?
The essential information that must appear on the packaging of pre-packaged foodstuffs or on the attached label is as follows:
  • the name under which the product is sold
  • the list of ingredients
  • the quantity of certain ingredients
  • the net quantity
  • the date of minimum durability
  • any special storage instructions or conditions of use
  • the name or business name and address of the manufacturer or packager or of a seller within the European Union
  • place of origin of the foodstuff if its absence might mislead the consumer to a material degree
  • instructions for use where necessary
  • beverages with more than 1.2% alcohol by volume must declare their actual alcoholic strength.

The boxes of noodles with sauce from Aldi that you heat in the microwave are very nice. Almost identical to the Sharwoods version and going by what's been said above, probably made by Sharwoods. They sell for €1.49

Lidl Jaffa Cakes deserve a mention, not a patch on Jacobs tho but a lot better than most of the other brands.
Also their choc ice/magnums are quite nice

I dont drink tea but I hear that the tea in Lidl and Aldi is absolutely godawfull!

Personally, I find the Tea in Aldi lovely!!!

Also at aldi:
Recently purchased the Satay Chicken with Peanut DIP... OH MY GOD.. gorgeous!!!

Oh the caramel slices...mmmm lovely!!!

Last edited:
Bought some alcohol free beer in Aldi called Dutch Malt. 40c a tin.

Naturally it's not as nice as the real thing but a big improvement on 7up or the like. It actually tastes better than Bud which is not saying much.

Murt

The Blackforest Ham and Italian parma hams in Lidl are delicious and of very good quality. Also amazing is the Feta Cheese (though its from sheeps, not goats milk), and the green and red small jars of pesto are the best ever. Ive been buying them all in bulk.

I agree with everyone who said that most Aldi (sorry, I don't shop at Lidl) is produced by well known manufacturers and branded for Aldi. I love their juices (750ml cartons) not from concentrate, instant coffee, bottled water, dairy in general, cooked meats, frozen pizzas, bin liners, kitchen roll, J-cloths, etc.

Yesterday I bought 7 bottles of very nice wine (tried it before) for just under €42.00.

I often find it annoying when people say they wouldn't shop in Aldi or Lidl if their life depended on it. Generations of not necessarily poor cntinental Europeans grew up on this stuff.

Just been to my local lidl and there are not doing as much business as i thought they would....the vg srore in the town is holding up surprisingly well. I suppose its because of the fresher foods available or the perception thereof....also maybe the snob factor in a provincial town.
Anyway i like the lidl 6 doughnuts frozen with cream center for 1.69
also of course their stollen cakes ... yummy
CHOCS including alcohol filled chocs.....their 200g nut choc bars fina for 89c are great value i even give some to the dog!
Actually the dog food is good value....however maybe other dog owners would like to comment on this.
I don`t buy bread in lidl,as i like my bread fresher or at least reduced.
The beetroots in the plastic are good.
i bought perlacher pils and its good but i think i`ll get a better deal in tesco,dunnes with special offers etc
German frankfurters and bratwursts very nice with dijon mustard.
and finally the solvina frit juices esp. pineapple ... very nice.

i bought perlacher pils and its good but i think i`ll get a better deal in tesco,dunnes with special offers etc

Thats the funny thing about the Lidl Pils (which I'm a fan of by the way), it's €7 for 6 bottles and you think to yourself that tecos, dunnes etc. have 22 bottles for €20 for brand beers now and again.
BUT the tesco/dunnes offers are generally for 330ml bottles, whereas the Lidl Pils are 500ml

So €20 for 22 bottles is 7.26 litres --- about €3 a litre
and in Lidl its €21 for 18 bottles which is 9 litres ---- about 2.33 a litre.

Lild is actually way cheaper than the "offers" that the other stores have. And -- Lidls beer is there every week, not just at offer time...

Also, Pils adhere to German purity laws (no additives etc.) - which makes for easy drinking and lighter hangover..

While I'm on the great value thread... My father is a big fan of the Pils also and when he and my mum went to france they popped into Lidl there... The 6 pack of Pils (exactley the same beer) was something like €3 for the 6... he was shocked.. €7 was brilliant value in Ireland, but €3 made the whole trip to France worth while!!!! Makes you wonder why we pay what we pay!

The 6 pack of Pils (exactley the same beer) was something like €3 for the 6... he was shocked.. €7 was brilliant value in Ireland, but €3 made the whole trip to France worth while!!!! Makes you wonder why we pay what we pay!

One word: taxes

Just to add that the viennetta in Lidl is flippin delicious and at 1 euro something, recommended.
Their only pizza which i like is the one in red packet(cant remember name), think its a 'pizza speciale'. Dont get the american style one, all crust!
The Schogetten chocolate is tops like all the choc there, and the crisps are quality.
The frozen fish\turkey\chicken are delicious, top notch.
As said already, the dishwasher tabs, washing powder, cleaning stuff, shampoo(Pool) are good.
Also the milk and apples and the green carton apple juice(apfelsaft) are good stuff!
The dog and cat food rules, the animals love them.

On the negative side, the bananas tend to go off too soon after buying them!

Back