Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Found the CF83 form - is it a case of filling it up online and then printing off OR can it be sent online?

is it long, can you save it in the middle of doing it and come back to it?

thanks

I posted earlier about having to wait a few months for all my payments to update my forecast which they finally did around the beginning of June but on a lighter note having paid about a total of €3270, I received a tax rebate cheque in the post from HMRC a couple of weeks ago. For just over £2!

I would do this if you can afford it for peace of mind.

It’s likely that contributions will get more expensive and they may restrict further the ability to make ongoing or backward contributions in future.

Almost zero chance that “banked” contributions will ever be taken away from you.
I recommend completing the CF 83 form and trying to get moved to class 2 as these are significantly cheaper - it takes time but is about 20% of the cost involved. But do this quickly as there is a deadline of April 2025 on some years and as I said they are slow!

Hello,
Great site this and thanks for so much info.
It is very much appreciated.
One query,(which is a silly one but I lost the number you phone in order to see has your money been credited.) I sent some money(my own bank transfer online) in April to cover the past year but haven't heard anything yet as to whether it was credited or not.I know there used to be a delay but thought that I might have had something by way of recognition from them by now.I did have the number but with change of phone and terrible file keeping I mislaid it! I'd appreciate if some one could post the phone number here.Thanks again

I got the good news last week that I can buy back at class 2 after initially applying in July 23. I still have a UK bank account so was going to pay from that. Does anyone know if they accept a card payment over the phone? If I do a bank transfer is there any way of specifying the years that im paying? There is one year (2007) that I can buy back at class 3 and I don’t want to pay that one. So I need to make sure that they are allocating the payments to the correct years. Many thanks

I got the good news last week that I can buy back at class 2 after initially applying in July 23. I still have a UK bank account so was going to pay from that. Does anyone know if they accept a card payment over the phone? If I do a bank transfer is there any way of specifying the years that im paying? There is one year (2007) that I can buy back at class 3 and I don’t want to pay that one. So I need to make sure that they are allocating the payments to the correct years. Many thanks
So just to update. I was able to pay online , the details of how to pay are on the website. I paid six out of the 11 years that I owed them . I called them and got through after about 40 minutes of waiting. Very helpful lady. She said it could be about 6 months before the payments will be allocated to my account. I asked her would I have to call again to allocate the years of payments. She said that she will put a note on my file to allocate my payments in order of years with the oldest going first. All in all it’s a good process that they have

I only worked about 18 months in UK back around year 2000. I applied to make voluntary contributions almost 2 years ago or more based on information from this site. A few months later I received a letter back saying I did not qualify because I did not fulfill the 3 year minimum work in UK requirement but could make up this requirement by combining payments to social insurance of another qualifying EEA country and providing proof of this. I was unsure if this would actually work but I sent back my PRSI contribution record which showed contributions of PRSI after I left UK. I heard nothing back for almost 18 months or more and had given up hope of qualifying for this. However today I received a letter saying they had accepted my application to make voluntary NI contributions and that I already have 5 qualifying years of NICs but I will need at least 10 years NICs to qualify for a UK pension. I can buy back years all the way back to 2006 for a cost of £824 per year.

I was delighted that I ended up qualifying even if it means paying the more expensive rate of £824 per year, probably going to buy back at least 10 years and then buy each extra year up to retirement. Thanks for all the advice I got on this site for doing this especially the advice to send in an application even if you don't meet the 3 years work in UK minimum requirement.

i see from the information on this site that I can buy back 18 years contributions up to 5 april 2025 but after this date i can only buy back 6 years. Does this mean that I could say buy back 13 years before 5 april 2025 but next year after april 2025 i could still buy back another 6 or say buy back 2 years every year for next 6 years in order to make up shortfall rather than having to buy back the full 18 years contributions in one lump before 5 april 2025?

i see from the information on this site that I can buy back 18 years contributions up to 5 april 2025 but after this date i can only buy back 6 years. Does this mean that I could say buy back 13 years before 5 april 2025 but next year after april 2025 i could still buy back another 6 or say buy back 2 years every year for next 6 years in order to make up shortfall rather than having to buy back the full 18 years contributions in one lump before 5 april 2025?
Yes the years up to 2018-2019 have to be bought before April 2025. After that you can only go back 6 years from whatever year you are in

Yes the years up to 2018-2019 have to be bought before April 2025. After that you can only go back 6 years from whatever year you are in
thanks for that, but on my letter it shows only after year 2019 you can buy back before april 2026, april 2027 and so on, on this column it has heading "final time limit" however on the column before it has heading title "Payment date without penalty" and it has date april 2025 the whole way down including years from 2019 to 2024, so does this mean that you can buy these years back after april 2025 but only by paying an additional penalty?

thanks for that, but on my letter it shows only after year 2019 you can buy back before april 2026, april 2027 and so on, on this column it has heading "final time limit" however on the column before it has heading title "Payment date without penalty" and it has date april 2025 the whole way down including years from 2019 to 2024, so does this mean that you can buy these years back after april 2025 but only by paying an additional penalty?
Yes you are right. Mine also says that. It may be some stock phrase just to cover themselves in case the price rises or something. But I’m not sure

Hi I have just completed form CF83 online and at the end it says submit online. I saw back along that people seemed to post it by registered post - which is best to do? Is this a new thing?

Online form appears to be working well. If you need to send follow up documentation you can do so by post.

I recommend completing the CF 83 form and trying to get moved to class 2 as these are significantly cheaper - it takes time but is about 20% of the cost involved. But do this quickly as there is a deadline of April 2025 on some years and as I said they are slow!
But surely whether you are class 2 or 3 is fairly clear cut. What grounds could you successfully argue you should pay at class2

Back