Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

I made a payment about 4 weeks ago via Wise using the short code and account number at the back of my 23-24 letter.

I rang at 8 this morning to confirm receipt and allocation. It took less than 10 minutes from beginning to end and I even changed the address.

I get what you're saying, and there are risks involved no matter which decision you take. For example, the cold reality is that there are many making payments who don't live long enough to reap any rewards, so even buying 1 year is a risk in that sense.

I'm taking the view that I should pay as many years as I can now as there is a bigger risk (albeit still probably small) that voluntary or Class 2 contributions cease to be an option in the future, or they are priced at a level that makes future years much less affordable.

I've 20 years until I'm eligible to claim, and buying all available years now leaves me only needing to pay another 10 years.
Did you have any issues actually making the payment for the contributions? I have just received a letter confirming Class 2 (happy days, as much cheaper), however I am struggling to find a way to pay. There is a mention of a 16 digit code, but this was not shared in the letter. I tried the helplines, but 45+ minutes on hold and then no real help. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Did you have any issues actually making the payment for the contributions? I have just received a letter confirming Class 2 (happy days, as much cheaper), however I am struggling to find a way to pay. There is a mention of a 16 digit code, but this was not shared in the letter. I tried the helplines, but 45+ minutes on hold and then no real help. Anyone experienced anything similar?
It's not fully clear in the letter, but details are here (about halfway down the page)

You may wish to ring them to confirm which years you are paying so they allocate the payment correctly. That's what I did, but I only paid for a few years. Will make further payment later this year.

I can't remember any of the addresses I lived in (despite buying my own house there) but have all the information on the company I worked for. Has anyone any experience of getting their National Insurance number this way? Will HM be able to track and trace on that alone? I reached out to the company I was employed with and the MD (same guy who I worked with many moons ago) has searched high and low for me but says they do not keep records that far back. I can't believe how bad my memory is.

You can get your NI number by completing and posting form CA5403, address is on the form. They will ask for your U.K. address though. Can you even remember the name of the road you lived on? If you do, use google earth to find the actual house number by zooming in on street level.

You can get your NI number by completing and posting form CA5403, address is on the form. They will ask for your U.K. address though. Can you even remember the name of the road you lived on? If you do, use google earth to find the actual house number by zooming in on street level.
Try thinking about your local pub, what route did you take to work, bus number / train / tube?

Do you have older family members who still use address books? There might be one hanging around next to the landline.

I can't remember any of the addresses I lived in (despite buying my own house there) but have all the information on the company I worked for. Has anyone any experience of getting their National Insurance number this way? Will HM be able to track and trace on that alone? I reached out to the company I was employed with and the MD (same guy who I worked with many moons ago) has searched high and low for me but says they do not keep records that far back. I can't believe how bad my memory is.

Try thinking about your local pub, what route did you take to work, bus number / train / tube?

Do you have older family members who still use address books? There might be one hanging around next to the landline.
My hunch is everything was discarded as I generally don't hold things that have zero relevance in my life for more than 10 years. My family are similar and don't hang onto stuff but its no harm to ask my parents. There's no chance that i'd remember a bus number. As for using google maps I have no memory of any of the roads so I wouldn't even know where to start. But I will still take a look to see if it jogs my memory. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back