The Terror Threat and how the US deals with it

Re: Ammonium Nitrate

As for Amonium Nitrate being available in the US, did you know it's available here in Europe and a derivative can be found right here in Ireland?

Indeed, but then who has more to fear from ammonium nitrate. Ireland or the US?

My original post was trying to deal specifically (what hope!) with the cynicism that surrounds the terror alert system and the possibility that it's being politically abused at present. This becomes more pertinent when you look at certain facts such as the availability (without any identification) of AN in the US.

Islamic culture

Sorry, Piggy, but I'm NOT YD or anyone else. I NEVER post under any other name when on this thread but like you, I may OCCASIONALLY use another name when asking a financial question etc. but that's it. Clear on this?

I find these practices repugnant but unlike you, I'm not so sure that some of these practices which HAVE occured slightly west of Dublin won't be coming here in the future. When the government recently felt compelled to ask potential polygamists to refrain from multiple marriages if granted residency here in Ireland, was it acting irrationally? Was it tarring all Muslims with the same brush?

Re: Islamic culture

Sorry, Piggy, but I'm NOT YD or anyone else. I NEVER post under any other name when on this thread but like you, I may OCCASIONALLY use another name when asking a financial question etc. but that's it. Clear on this?

I wasn't suggesting that you do post under different names. I was replying to purple's comments before moving onto your post.

I do however always wonder why people post entire topics just on me though. Just to ask me a specific question. This is a pretty big message board and lots of people have opinions on various issues. I saw the topic that you posted before it was taken off the air.

When the government recently felt compelled to ask potential polygamists to refrain from multiple marriages if granted residency here in Ireland, was it acting irrationally? Was it tarring all Muslims with the same brush?
I can't imagine that it was really.

Politicising terror?

I just bought some potato fertiliser for my garden at a co-op last month and wasn't asked for any ID. I could also probably fill up many large tanks of petrol at my local Stat Oil and pay the girl obsessed with texting without raising any suspicions as well. But this is really not an issue, right?

With regard to more large scale terrorism, the Minister of Iodine tablets has us all protected from Sellafield so I'm not really worrying. Was he playing the buffoon card?

Topic

Sorry about that, hit the wrong button and realised it too late. Didn't mean to start a new topic.

Re: Politicising terror?

I just bought some potato fertiliser for my garden at a co-op last month and wasn't asked for any ID. I could also probably fill up many large tanks of petrol at my local Stat Oil and pay the girl obsessed with texting without raising any suspicions as well. But this is really not an issue, right?

Well...re my last point on this subject above...it might be if you were living in a country who was waging war on a faction of Islamic terrorists and had a terror alert system to tell your people when they should be at their most alert for a terrorist attack.
But then you live in Ireland and thankfully the days of terrorism are (hopefully) over.

Re: Topic

Sorry about that, hit the wrong button and realised it too late. Didn't mean to start a new topic.

Fair enough. I got the wrong impression. Thanks.

Very confused

A lot has happened since I went for lunch!

I am not Zeus!!!

Purple's reaction that I was trolling piggy, and his/her sanctimonious lecture about attacking the topic not the person was so entirely predictable. Call it trolling, call it attacking the person - I genuinely did sense in piggy's post that he is disappointed at the success that the US has achieved in defending its own citizens against further outrages. I do not apologise for making the observation. I note that his denials are more in the nature of defending counsel than from the heart.

A couple of days ago I opened a topic asking piggy and his fellow travellers a question. I thought piggy was alluding to that but then Zeus steps in and says he posted a topic devoted to piggy by accident - this does have me very confused. :eek

I was surprised that topic was aborted - here is the question:

Iraq is a mess, point conceded, but we are where we are - who do you want to gain control in Iraq from here?

1. Sunni insurgents
2. Shia insurgents
3. The current administration

As to piggy-fixation, I think piggy's feigned disbelief is a bit disingenuous. Piggy, you have become a figurehaed of the particular WorldView you espouse - all the others are only fellow travellers - and you know it.

Re: Very confused

I note that his denials are more in the nature of defending counsel than from the heart

That's your opinion. I don't need to justify how I feel about it. I've stated many times that I believe the whole War on Terror and how the US has handled everything since 911 has brought this mess on themselves. However, that doesn't mean to say I take any glee in seeing it happen. You can believe that if you like or not. I can't make you.

I was surprised that topic was aborted - here is the question:
I saw that topic too.
You were surprised that the mods deleted a topic that asked me specifically a political question?

who do you want to gain control in Iraq from here?
I think this is a bit simplistic. No one has control right now. The current administration is recognised as having control by the international community. If you're talking about security then that's a different matter. Regardless...no one knows what the future is going to hold and what state that country will be in in years to come.
What's the deal with all these here's your choices type questions anyway?

As to piggy-fixation, I think piggy's feigned disbelief is a bit disingenuous. Piggy, you have become a figurehaed of the particular WorldView you espouse - all the others are only fellow travellers - and you know it.
Not by choice. That honour has been largely thrust upon me by people directing everything at me instead of discussing various points of view.

Re: Very confused

- "...I was trolling piggy..."
- "...in piggy's post..."
- "...asking piggy and ..."
- "...I thought piggy was alluding..."
- "...devoted to piggy by accident..."
- "...As to piggy-fixation..."
- "...think piggy's feigned..."
- "Piggy, you have become a..."

YD !!! - "piggy-fixation".... you!? Never! :b

piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy

Why do I ask piggy multiple choice questions?

To try and pin him down!

Simple 3 choice question - everyone knows the right answer, the only answer - the community of nations including many muslim ones want the current administration to resist the insurgent forces.

Piggy wriggles from giving a straight answer That tells it all.

Re: piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy,piggy

Why do I ask piggy multiple choice questions?

To try and pin him down!

Indeed. That says a lot.

Piggy wriggles from giving a straight answer That tells it all.
What part of my answer wasn't clear? I think the question is very simplistic and not very clear to be honest. The current administration already has control in Iraq. Why do you need to ask me this?
The security of the country is an entirely separate issue and I don't think anyone can rightly say what direction that is going to take. Needless to say it'll take a long time and will probably not be done by force alone.
I'm becoming very tired of this nonsense to be honest. You believe somehow that I don't want peace in Iraq. Like I said, I can't convince you of anything but I'm sure you'll keep asking me these type of simplistic questions to try to catch me out.

All this talk of Piggy is making me hungry - I'd kill for a rasher sandwich!

Can we just get back to the point gents & ladies.

I'd like to see some opinions on YD's earlier post...
Iraq is a mess, point conceded, but we are where we are - who do you want to gain control in Iraq from here?

Re:

The US, and to a greater extent the rest of the world is ruled by a culture of fear. What of 'tolerance' in a fearless society? Would there be more or less? For most of humanities existence on the planet we have lived under rule of fear. We still do.

All this talk of Piggy is making me hungry - I'd kill for a rasher sandwich!

Strangely enough. Now that you've mentioned it so would I!

BTW YD,

I've been thinking of the best way to answer your question which would best sum up my views.
I suppose if I'm being tied to a chair on this one and have to answer A, B or C then the answer is C. I don't want to see any insurgents winning. Neither do I want to see the administration that has been put in place failing either (as that would suggest the former options being somehow victorious).
However, in an ideal world, I'd rather see a fourth power in there. But the whole place is such a mess right now that to be honest I have no idea what is going to happen anymore.

Actually I'm not sure there can be any winners here. Only layers of losing.

Anyway...I think Iraq is a subject this board has already tortured to death at this stage and we should try to keep this post to terror and (if people want) discussing Islamic behaviour in relation to terrorism etc etc...

The Koran

Fair enough my porky friend.

I have been thinking about this Koran thing. How do they get away with it (maybe the Bible is similarly inciteful to hatred)?

I guess it must be argued that it is not published with an intent to incitement to hatred, or that people don't really take those bits seriously any more - unlike say a neo-nazi pamphlet which means every bit of what its publishers believe.

All the same, pretty blood curdling stuff.

The psychology of terror is interesting. In 30 years of "war" 3,000 people were killed in the six counties but in that same period 10,000 died on the road. I recall real fear about going downtown Belfast but not because of the more dangerous car journey but out of fear of some lunatic loyalist bursting in and spraying all round him.

all's well...

Ahhhh....that's nice; we'er all friends again!

Re:

The US, and to a greater extent the rest of the world is ruled by a culture of fear

Amidst all the wrangling yesterday that was an interesting post shnaek.

Mankind is always looking forwards to his doom. Potential threats, be it from natural disasters or other humans.

What of 'tolerance' in a fearless society?

This is what I fear the most in all of this...the lack of tolerance. The rise in Islamophobia. This is where the media really need to step in and exercise some responsible journalism in my opinion...or else we'll have a much worse situation in 5-10 years time where Muslims feel threatened by the rise in ill feeling towards them due to the actions of a few.

Back