Tax defrauders list but no welfare defrauders list

Yes, I agree. Two wrongs don't make a right.
That's the poisonous atmosphere where people see petty fraud not as stealing from the people of Ireland as you put it, but stealing from the government that steals from the people of Ireland.

That's the poisonous atmosphere where people see petty fraud not as stealing from the people of Ireland as you put it, but stealing from the government that steals from the people of Ireland.
I agree. The incompetence of the State, or rather the people who work for the State, is at the root of many of our countries problems.

What would you see as the threshold for "petty" fraud? And would deliberately evading a "petty" amount of tax fall in the same category as fraudulently obtaining an equivalent amount of welfare money?

I agree. The incompetence of the State, or rather the people who work for the State, is at the root of many of our countries problems.
It's not incompetence.

“There are four ways in which you can spend money.
You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money.
Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost.
Then, I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch!
Finally, I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get. And that’s government. And that’s close to 40% of our national income.”

- Milton Friedman

What would you see as the threshold for "petty" fraud? And would deliberately evading a "petty" amount of tax fall in the same category as fraudulently obtaining an equivalent amount of welfare money?
Why are you asking me these questions?

It's not just the bike shed, what about the generators Eamon Ryan department bought and are stuck for last 2 years at Dublin port because too heavy for M50 bridge!! . Now there is probably a way around this issue but there doesn't seem to be problem solving skills in government. If they are too heavy for M50 bridge they are probably too heavy for the old stone bridges that make up the countrys infrastructure. So it doesn't matter that 20 million or so was spent on these, there is no urgency to solve it. If this happened in some of big American companies the phone lines would be hopping from the us to get the problem sorted and the names of the people responsible for it and a big dressing down.

What happens if the grid comes under strain in the meantime, that's what they were purchased for for emergency generation to plug gaps. Ah sure the generators are at Dublin port and we can't move them. Imagine what Ukrainians would think of such nonsense when they are trying to patch up their grid from russian bombing

The generators stuck in Dublin Port have nothing to do with the government or any government department. They don't have anything to do with the national grid.

They were bought by the owners of 2 data centres as back-up for their own systems.

Why are you asking me these questions?
Because you seem to have introduced the phrase to the thread. The use of petty would seem to imply that there's some threshold beyond which one's perception would change (otherwise why use an adjective that describes the scale)... I was interested to understand your perspective.

And since the thread is about the relative treatments of welfare vs tax cheats, I'm interested how that perspective applies to the other category of offender.

. The use of petty would seem to imply that there's some threshold beyond which one's perception would change (otherwise why use an adjective that describes the scale)..
That is indeed the meaning of the term.

Obviously the bigger and more audacious the fraud, the more society and the law disapproves and punishes it when it's detected.

. I was interested to understand your perspective.
I don't particularly have a perspective here. My initial comment here was to question a claim that prospective fraudsters might be deterred by what the neighbours thought of them.
And since the thread is about the relative treatments of welfare vs tax cheats, I'm interested how that perspective applies to the other category of offender.
Again, as I haven't even ventured any substantive opinion here in this regard, why should you be so interested apart perhaps from nosiness?

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think there should be any list or names published unless it goes to court.

The generators stuck in Dublin Port have nothing to do with the government or any government department. They don't have anything to do with the national grid.

They were bought by the owners of 2 data centres as back-up for their own systems.
That's partially correct, I didn't know that , wasn't clear from the original article, just said it was for 2 industrial estates to back up for grid shortages. So they were bought to feed power back into grid during peak usage periods, didn't the government put that stipulation on data centres in last few years? However I bet the guys responsible got a big dressing down from their US headquarters

Last edited:
That is indeed the meaning of the term.

Obviously the bigger and more audacious the fraud, the more society and the law disapproves and punishes it when it's detected.

I don't particularly have a perspective here. My initial comment here was to question a claim that prospective fraudsters might be deterred by what the neighbours thought of them.

Again, as I haven't even ventured any substantive opinion here in this regard, why should you be so interested apart perhaps from nosiness?
I don't see how asking someone to expand on their posts, on topic, on a discussion forum, is nosiness. If that's the benchmark for nosiness, then we're all a fiercely nosey bunch...

I don't see how asking someone to expand on their posts, on topic, on a discussion forum, is nosiness. If that's the benchmark for nosiness, then we're all a fiercely nosey bunch...
If there's another and more genuine motivation here, I'm happy to answer any query, but my own opinion on the respective treatments of welfare vs tax cheats is hardly any more on-topic here than yours is.

Back