AIB Taking a High Court case

Def 100% on board with this . If AIB had put their hands up at the very start years ago when the Central Bank forced them to acknowledge the issue , I might have a different view but they didn't.

Instead we had years of

- a dismissive almost sneering tone when Brendan brought up the issue at AGMs

- a similarly smug contemptuous tone at Oireachtas commitees " we are happy with our legal advise " etc, I wonder how happy they were after the FSPOs decision !

the " independent " appeals panels that didn't bother reading alot of the submissions. Just a blanket generic refusal.

The refusal to accept the ombudsmans finding till the very end of the deadline

The unhelpful Helpline

The simple interest ( yet another sly kick)
Etc etc ( I could keep going and going )

AIBs attitude from the start ( " we are happy with our legal advise and customers if they are not happy can go to the High Court ) has been like all bullies - come on and and have a go if you think you are hard enough . Well if we get together and pool our resources we can have a go and give them another bloody nose over this issue.

In my opinion regarding the court case , we have a free shot . We are all up on average 10-15k in the interest refund - if we can get 3/400 people to contribute we can force AIB to court to deal with this . They are hoping that this will all just go away with this pay out.

With the appalling way they have treated us from the start i would urge everyone to not let this happen

Thank you Brendan for all your hard work. We received our interest on Monday. It will be interesting to see what comes out of Compound vs Simple. You can count us in also to contribute also if going forward to court is an option.

And there would be different circumstances as well. If someone faced repossession, they would not accept the same deal as the vast majority who were just inconvenienced a bit.

That wouldn't matter so much if the lead case was not looking for compensation.

Brendan

That second part would be very clever/astute in a case. Not explicitly looking for compensation and focus specifically on breach/rate.

If the last tracker rate was awarded as prevailing, then interest refunds over and above the FSPO redress would be huge compensation in itself.

The case would be based purely on contractual entitlement versus going after AIB to make them pay or that type narrative as such.

Very measured approach and links back to @bungaro's post about having absolute trust in a committee..

Last edited:
I would be happy to contribute towards a legal case too. I am disgusted with the behaviour of AIB. Still saying service failure instead of breach of contract

Whilst the High Court would hear all the facts as presented by the Plaintiff afresh, without at all being bound by the Ombudsman's decision in Karen's case, a main advantage for anyone wishing to take a case is that we already know what AIB's litigation Defences will be, by virtue of the Decision in Karen's case. This places a Plaintiff's lawyers in a more advantageous position before issuing proceedings as they now have foresight of the other side's case, and can better assess the options and chances of success than was the case before Karen's decision.

We would be happy to contribute also... depending on what the majority of people think we should proceed with.

Thanks again Brendan for everything.. with your hard work and persistence none of us would be talking about this and/or received any redress.

Thanks again...

I'm also happy to contribute, thanks again for all the hard work Brendan. You have been relentless in pursuing this, and taking the time to help us all in on the forum.

I would contribute. Myself and my wife feel we have a solid case for compensation and proof of financial hardship and stress during the time we were denied the tracker rate.Thank you Brendan for all the information and help getting us to were we are now.

I'd most likely be interested once a committee has been formed and decided what route is being taken.

Firstly, I want to sincerely thank @Brendan Burgess and all others who helped to get us to this point.

We are one of the '5600' and would like to participate in any planned discussions on how we collectively want to approach this, what the estimated costs might be, etc.

We would happily put some money towards this. We would love to see AIB face the courts. We have very little financel/legal background but we willibg to try help in whatever way we can.

If there was any advice for the lost house group it would be great, do you think High Court is the right way to go in this case as it's a much smaller group of people?

If there was any advice for the lost house group it would be great, do you think High Court is the right way to go in this case as it's a much smaller group of people?

It appears the bank have not taken any steps to treat customers who lost property any differently than other customers. The bank have just applied the 12% reduction across the board.
A customer who lost a property has demonstratable losses/damages which will warrant High Court proceedings being issued.
Evidence will be required to confirm that the breach of contract caused/contributed to the loss of the property.

100% count me in with taking this further ..... we have all gained by the work of a few. Let’s all band together and fight for every individual who suffered undue stress, broken relationships, lost homes and in some cases lost their lives because of financial hardship attributed to AIB’s blatant exploitation of their position.
I have no background in finance or law but can certainly contribute money and time if and when required.

Back