AIB Taking a High Court case

The high court action would have to be taken on most basic/vanilla case similar to Karen's again to ensure it would apply to the whole cohort right? If you have additional factors to be considered as I do, you have to make a call I think. You could contribute and wait for the outcome of any legal action as that would apply to you then beging your own based on you particular circumstances but it could be a long wait so maybe best to go it alone now so to speak? Sorry if this has been covered its hard to keep up as the forum is very busy at present!

Not a leagle or financial expert in any form. Delighted this hasn't gone away, and although both the write down and cheque are welcome, I can't but feel they were due to us all to begin with. Happy to subscribe keep knocking on the door, and hold AIB fully accountable.
AIB want us all to go away, one by one. Each one of us that does, is a further savings to them. A new argument of compound v simple interest is exhausting.
I hope we can get a team together, however we can, to see this through to the end.

Going back on when the initial group went to get legal advise some years back, does that group exist in any form still and have an opinion on whether it is something to pursue further? I remember reading posts from someone saying initially there was good engagement but numbers fell away, when there was absolutely no chance of anything.

Myself and Balfour collected the money and represented the group when getting the opinion from the legal counsel. Brendan was with us in this process so what he advised above is spot on and coming from experience in this case. There is a huge amount of trust in this and people really do have to accept early on that the main points are what will be focused on and not things that may be specific to just your own case. I can't emphasize enough though that it was strength in numbers which got us to this point and a lot of that was coordinated by Brendan

Hi All,
I’ve been watching the forum for awhile now.
I presume there are a lot of people like me. Keeping distance and watching it unfold. If strength in numbers is what we need hopefully this will encourage others. I’ll gladly contribute Money to any case not that I would have time to contribute with it. (Thanks Brendan, Karen and everyone else who has gotten us to this point)

To Brendan, to Karen and to all of you who have been involved with this from the beginning, I can’t convey my thanks enough.

We didn’t know or understand enough about this in the beginning but we’ve watched this forum over the last number of months, once we became aware that we were included in the cohort. Our cheque arrived in the post this morning.

We have had some really difficult, dark days and weeks over the last 12 years, as I know many of you will have had. The root of much of that was our financial situation and the endless struggle. We have had to make some really tough decisions based on finances, the greatest for me being the size of our family. The enormous cost of Fertility treatment in Ireland and our financial situation being as it was meant we really had to alter the life we had envisaged for ourselves. That has been far from easy and has caused a lot of very significant emotional damage.

We would certainly consider joining forces and discussing the possibility of moving forward to present a case to the High Court. It’s not out of greed, it’s due to the fact that we have genuinely suffered. I know that others have suffered the devastation of losing their homes, or have become unwell because of the emotional strain so I know there are people far worse off than us in this group.

Anyhow, our enormous, heartfelt thanks. This literally couldn’t have happened without you & we are extremely grateful.

I am one of the lucky 300 and will happily contribute if you all decide to move forward.

I contributed the last time but didn't do much more besides. I feel I owe it to those who got us to the point of getting a tracker to help them get theres

We contributed last time also and would also like to contribute again having discussed it at home so count us in .

I completely agree with Lainey, seeing AIB stand up in court and explain their rationale for such awful behavior and treatment of customers is something I think needs to happen. Allowing them to settle on the court steps will just be another win for them.

We received our cheque today too we took out a new mortgage with AIB for house renovation.. i can't thank Brendan and everyone who helped enough for following through with this ye have been brilliant and helped so many people. I like alot more would be happy to contribute. We went into arrears on Mortgage we just missed one payment and they wrote and phoned constantly looking for the repayment my husband lost his job and as a result ended up paying mortgage by withdrawing money from his credit card, he couldnt keep up with the interest payments on the credit card and got a bad credit rating meaning we couldnt move to another bank with a better rate as noone would take us until we improved his credit rating we had to restructure loans to clear credit card and borrow for my parents anyway we always paid mortgage but things would have been alot different for so many years if we had a tracker...im wondering has my case too many issues to take part with taking a case. Anyway thanks so much again to Brendan and anyone who helped him.

Bungaro and Balfour
When we pooled the money for senior counsel opinion, there was a legal person in that group that wanted to take the matter to court at that point. Was that put on hold pending the outcome of the case before the Ombudsman or another reason?

Bungaro and Balfour
When we pooled the money for senior counsel opinion, there was a legal person in that group that wanted to take the matter to court at that point. Was that put on hold pending the outcome of the case before the Ombudsman or another reason?

Basically the High Court is the final step you want to take and it can cost a lot of money. So to us the logical path was to go through all the steps recommended before lodging a case (i.e. file a complaint with AIB -> go through the Appeal Panel -> FSPO). The FSPO was free and if that was unsuccessful then the High Court was our final shot if people were still interested

Count me in for the €1000 also. My sister is in the same boat as me with her own mortgage so count her in too.

Back