Should we pay more tax to have a better society?

Anyway, lest we forget , about who is paying what and how much , its 10 MNC's companies who paid 50% (or more) of the 24Billion (25% of total Budget 2023)

A 50m swimming pool for the great unwashed people of Cork would be a nice start, a large pile of those MNC's are in Munster.

Lower taxes won't incentivise people to work more overtime or come here and work? There are tens of thousands of people with construction skills on the live register. I think that reducing welfare will change that somewhat.

Taxes are lower there. That's the big attraction. Anyway, there is negligible net immigration of Irish nurses and doctors. We have a shortage of nurses who want to work full time. I think that it is reasonable to suppose that a generous welfare system and high taxes contribute to that.

We know that there are large numbers of builders on welfare.
I am sure you can back your claims about those thousands of skilled folks on the dole up with some credible links.

Sounds like ye have done well. And no extra taxes. Not so lucky in my area unfortunately. And my taxes remained the same.

It would seem that someone is doing something right in your area. Is there a seat up for grabs in the area? Or maybe it is a council worker who knows his way around an application for facilities.

But my point was why pay more when it’s not really linked to getting more.
No seat up for grabs, basically clubs have gotten much better at playing the grant game. Yes, there was letters attached from the local council in the one I was involved in, and from a local TD but that was it, nothing exceptional and nothing that would have influenced it to any great degree

That's great for your area that you have the pulling power from central government to get that. However regarding funding of sports facilities too much favouritism is given to gaa, so you have a gaa pitch with great facilities etc but only available for gaa games. Now many people would like to play other sports not gaa, especially as they get older. Now fair enough the gaa will do alot of their own fund raising but there is only really room for one sports facility in most places. Most countries you will see just one facility for football , athletics etc so everyone can use them not just specific sports like gaa
It's not simply about pulling power, it requires clubs to get off their backsides, fundraise themselves, get support from their governing body and apply, properly, for one of the many grants that are out there. Most of the grants from central govt funding in my area in the big towns don't go to the GAA, the other sports have just gotten much better. 5 GAA clubs in the town and I can't recall the last time 4 of them ever got a govt grant, 7 soccer clubs, hockey club, athletics club and tennis club have all gotten grants in the last couple of years.

There are 35,000+ construction workers on the Live Register, in the middle of a housing crisis.
Do you have a link to some facts and figures?
Construction workers are one thing- tradespeople another. Around here there is always a shortage of qualified people. Without them labourers have no jobs.

table LRM13

Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesAll broad occupational groupsNumber185,968
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesManagers and administratorsNumber6,977
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesProfessionalNumber11,375
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesAssociate professional and technicalNumber3,532
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesClerical and secretarialNumber17,411
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesCraft and relatedNumber17,734
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesPersonal and protective servicesNumber15,191
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesSalesNumber10,426
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesPlant and machine operativesNumber17,355
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesOther broad occupational groupsNumber17,375
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesNo occupationNumber68,592

Craft and related = 17,734
Plant and machine operatives = 17,355

Do you have a link to some facts and figures?
Construction workers are one thing- tradespeople another. Around here there is always a shortage of qualified people. Without them labourers have no jobs.
There are very few trades that require you to actually have a qualification to work in that area. Anyone can work as a carpenter. Anyone can work as a Plasterer. You need to be an electrician to do final fix and sign off on work. You need to be a qualified gas fitter to work on a gas boiler.

My trade, Toolmaking, doesn't require that you actually be qualified as a toolmaker to work on a press tool or an injection mould. You just have to be able to do the job. Skills and qualifications are not the same thing. Qualification and education are not the same thing.

table LRM13

Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesAll broad occupational groupsNumber185,968
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesManagers and administratorsNumber6,977
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesProfessionalNumber11,375
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesAssociate professional and technicalNumber3,532
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesClerical and secretarialNumber17,411
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesCraft and relatedNumber17,734
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesPersonal and protective servicesNumber15,191
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesSalesNumber10,426
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesPlant and machine operativesNumber17,355
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesOther broad occupational groupsNumber17,375
Persons on the Live Register2024 JulyBoth sexesAll agesNo occupationNumber68,592

Craft and related = 17,734
Plant and machine operatives = 17,355
That could include engineer trades rather than construction trades.

Is that aimed at me?
My problem is that I see my taxes being given to intergenerational wasters who think that they are entitled to my taxes. What I call the "Hands off my handouts brigade". I'd rather keep more of my money but if it is to be taken then instead of giving it to Irish wasters I'd rather see it given to immigrants who work and pay taxes and educate their children so that those children won't live off me of my children or other working people who contribute to society.

The waster immigrants who want to live off the system should be sent back where they came from. Problem solved. Unfortunately we can't do that with the waster locals, though I'd happily pay for their plane fare to Rwanda or wherever.

I've a problem with the Irish wasters who imply immigrants are paedophiles etc, as they are only doing so because they are afraid they'll actually have to provide for themselves. I certainly don't want to pay a cent more in taxes to house or feed those people and doing so certainly won't produce a better society.
It was aimed at you.

I can understand your frustration - especially as a few posts ago you intimated you were earning approx 2+ million per year and paying over 1 million in tax. That's enough tax to pay the salary of the CEO of the HSE + the salary of a hospital consultant + two teachers + the Dail's new bike shed - it must be exhausting.

It was aimed at you.

I can understand your frustration - especially as a few posts ago you intimated you were earning approx 2+ million per year and paying over 1 million in tax. That's enough tax to pay the salary of the CEO of the HSE + the salary of a hospital consultant + two teachers + the Dail's new bike shed - it must be exhausting.
No, not that much, though I do may six figures in taxes, and what I earn and what I get paid may not be the same thing ;)

Last edited:
No one can make reforms in the absence of comprehensive and reliable data.

A forum, such as this, cannot possibly achieve that level of depth and dependability.

I find Dáil Committees to be very illuminating though sometimes frustrating.

But at least, one can discover some level of detail through their discussions and questionings.

In some cases, those before the committee are well prepared and provide necessary information; in others, there is evasion and equivocation.

In some sessions I have seen, the same questions have been asked and have gone unanswered for years.

With regard to the HSE, one of the biggest spenders, perhaps the responsibilities are too broad, too diverse with too many priority clashes.

It's not simply about pulling power, it requires clubs to get off their backsides, fundraise themselves, get support from their governing body and apply, properly, for one of the many grants that are out there. Most of the grants from central govt funding in my area in the big towns don't go to the GAA, the other sports have just gotten much better. 5 GAA clubs in the town and I can't recall the last time 4 of them ever got a govt grant, 7 soccer clubs, hockey club, athletics club and tennis club have all gotten grants in the last couple of years.

I’m not against clubs receiving funding but I think we rely too heavily on it the local government providing facilities that can be used by the general public and clubs.

This obviously works better for some facilities vs others. Clubs are great if the sport is a primary interest to you but i like to play tennis a few times in the summer. I couldn’t find any public courts and I wasn’t looking to join a club and pay a year’s membership. However I bet most of the tennis clubs in my area have received government.

In a few other countries I have found public courts that are free or pay as you go which is fine.

With regard to the HSE, one of the biggest spenders, perhaps the responsibilities are too broad, too diverse with too many priority clashes.
Possibly but the Texas Medical Centre in Houston is the same size as the HSE and had to deal with all of the massive inefficacies baked into the US medial industry. They have over 10 million patient consultations a year, deliver 26,000 babies and perform over 180,000 surgeries. Their total annual budget is around $25 billion, they employ around 120,000 people, have 750,000 ER visits a year and consist of 54 medical related institutions.
I know the HSE is a different sort of institution but it's an interesting structure to look at.

Back