Russian Foreign Policy

The Russian economy is going to collapse tomorrow. This will get worse before it gets better. We have equipment that they need: Javelin, SRAAW, RBS 70's. We have a policy of military neutrality that no government ever defined and no citizen ever voted for, past or present. A mealy-mouthed cop out.

Neutral Sweden on the other hand:

Neutral Finland:

The Government also granted Estonia a licence to re-export to Ukraine artillery guns and their ammunition, which Estonia had previously purchased from Finland.

Last edited:
Sweden and Finland attended the recent NATO meeting. Sweden has a significant military and Finland could well join NATO as a result of this crisis. Theirs is an armed neutrality.

Sweden and Finland attended the recent NATO meeting. Sweden has a significant military and Finland could well join NATO as a result of this crisis. Theirs is an armed neutrality.
There’s no such thing as an unarmed neutrality.

Neutral or unaligned - there's no difference except for contrived semantics. and words like "cowardly" are not relevant to us. We are either militarily involved or not militarily involved. There is no "in between" and consequently, we are not militarily obliged to enter any situation. OK! We love Ukraine and we hope the situation there will be resolved asap. We can't choose for whose benefit/loss we can change our neutrality/unalignment. Forget about "sometimes" and our rights and wrongs depend on where we sit and we don't have to pick any side in which we must send military support. We are peace keepers, not belligerents. That does not mean we are deserting countries like Ukraine.

Neutral or unaligned - there's no difference except for contrived semantics.
They are completely different. We are unable to defend ourselves so we are not neutral.
and words like "cowardly" are not relevant to us.
They are not relevant for those who have no sense of right or wrong, no ethics and no basic human compassion.
We are either militarily involved or not militarily involved. There is no "in between" and consequently, we are not militarily obliged to enter any situation.
Of corse there is an in between. We contribute to the EU budget and the EU itself is spending money on weapons so we are already militarily involved. We are cowards in that we won’t directly back that EU position.
We don’t have to, we can continue to be cowards, we can continue to be hypocrites. It’s what we should do that I’m talking about.
We are peace keepers, not belligerents.
A belligerent is someone who attacks someone else. The person who goes to the aid of the victim is not a belligerent.
That does not mean we are deserting countries like Ukraine.
That’s exactly what it means. It is shameful, despicable.

I wonder if we’ll accept refugees from Ukraine or we will turn them away like we did the Jews fleeing the Nazis. After all, we are neutral…
I presume we’ll be safe from the fallout if this turns nuclear, after all we are neutral.

Leper, I'm looking forward to seeing your letter to the Ukrainians, try the editor of the Kyiv Independent Olga Rudenko olga.kyivindependent at gmail.com.

Ma'am,

Best regards,

(Some of) the people of Ireland

Not true, but I don't think it is appropriate to discuss it at length on this thread.

I’m a child of the 70’s. This is, by far, the most significant political/military event of my lifetime.

I am hoping that the Russian people themselves will remove him. He appears to have enjoyed popularity, though it is hard to know for sure, but I think Ukraine will be his Bridge Too Far. There is growing condemnation in Russia.

I’m a child of the 70’s. This is, by far, the most significant political/military event of my lifetime.
It has only just begun and no doubt the Russian army will militarily overwhelm the people of the Ukraine in the short term. It's only then the resistance movements in Ukraine will start to kick in (and mainly passive resistance). Putin will then be on his way to being Communists greatest loser and as Sophrosyne suggested above his own will turn on him and Russia will lose more of its states. The faster this happens the better for Ukraine and Russia.

@cremeegg I agree that our selfish interests are to hide behind NATO's shield and save the dosh. Similarly, we should not be top of the class in fighting climate change, we can't make any difference and should piggy back off the big guys.
Its not only about saving the dosh
You and your sons and daughters are welcome to travel to Ukraine to fight for what you believe in. I will admire you for it.

I have no intention of giving my life for Ukraine and I would discourage my children from doing so.

Now when are you off, or it is just talk.

Which country is sending their sons? (Nobody sends their daughters into combat roles)
We are in a position to send arms and we are choosing not to do so in order to remain neutral in a battle between democracy and authoritarianism. If anyone attacked us we'd expect the British and other EU forces to risk their sons to protect us.

We don't have decent equipment for our Irish army and have treated Irish Army personnel with disdain and I'm sure the Ukraine army can get along without Irish military aid. Furthermore, I don't expect anybody to come to our aid even if we were invaded.

I am involved with the local hurling club at under age level. It was frightening this week to hear young Irish girls and boys talking about the threat of another war in europe. Our schools have many eastern european students and this fear will spread.

We don't have decent equipment for our Irish army and have treated Irish Army personnel with disdain
True. So what?
and I'm sure the Ukraine army can get along without Irish military aid.
Yes, as long as other countries do the heavy lifting for us.
Furthermore, I don't expect anybody to come to our aid even if we were invaded.
You would though, we all would.
Reality can be frightening. That doesn't make it any less real.
If you train any children with Ukrainian family you can let them know that you're happy to let their family die without lifting a finger to help because, like, we're neutral.

A little OTT Purple - let's keep the discussion on an even keel, I don't think anybody is happy to let anybody die. You might feel like amending your post. For the record we have several Ukranian members and others from the rest of eastern europe also.

Leper I don't think anyone on here is suggesting we send an army anywhere. What I'm reading on here and I agree with it, is that there are other ways of aligning with other countries in a way that does not affect our neutrality but which very much tells the world what we think of this war. We could and should have contributed to the financial package to purchase and send weapons to Ukraine. I think it is really poor that we did not do so.
It was heartbreaking to watch Ukranian people leaving these shores to return home to fight. We should be doing more to show solidarity with them.