Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come from?

Re: Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come f

Because apparently it's time 'we all pulled together and offered to help'

Re: Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come f

Yep! But it's really a response to Sidzer (if that makes sense).

Your post was in response to people pointing out that you had incorrectly included flexi time as leave. You then came back with an argument about why you didn't agree with flexi time. That was not relevant to the point.
Friends in the public sector also refer to it as leave. The guy I talked about earlier pointed out that a 39 hour week is standard in the SME sector so giving public sector employees a day off because they just working a standard SME week, while technically a flexi-day, is really just an extra days holidays.

No, it's not. We're contracted to work a certain amount of hours a day and if we work a day's extra hours we get to take that as a day off. I know lots of people in the Private Sector who work similar hours to PS workers. In fact, unless only public sector workers use the buses, it's amazing how full they are during the same kind of times that I would be coming and going to work.

You call enforcing a blanket pay cut on a particular sector 'pulling together?' Many in the private sector have also not endured any pay cuts.

boo hoo!

You should be happy that some people are part of well run organisations who manage to make a profit and contribute to the exchequer, otherwise the cuts required would be larger.

At this stage I'm with you on one thing, Screw pulling together. Neither you nor I are the decision makers. It's up to the government to decide on this regardless of how mant hissy fits anyone throws and we'll all have to live with it whether we like it or not

I realise that teachers are only one part of the PS, but since permanent teachers are paid for the whole year, not just term time, could their unpaid days not be taken during holiday times ? Would getting paid for 4 days less in June, July & August not come to the same thing as taking them at any teaching time? That would mean no disruption to schools. Or is this too simplistic a thought. I realise it would mess with the statistics in this thread though.

What is the probably of unpaid leave this being introduced?

Do you think the unions will reach an agreement with govt. before budget day?

The unions knew it wasn’t a runner but also knew that they would be blasted by the general public and many of their own members if they went on strike again so they put it out in the media that the unpaid leave was a government proposal and that they likes it as an excuse to call off the strike.

Basically it’s all out of the Comrades Stalinist disinformation play-book.

Civil Service Annual Leave

Secretary 31 days
Deputy Secretary 31 days
Assistant Secretary 31 days
Principal (standard scale) 29 days
Assistant Principal (standard scale) 29 days
Administrative Officer 21 days, rising to 26 days after 5 years' service
Higher Executive Officer 26 days
Executive Officer 20 days, rising to 21 days after 5 years' service
Staff Officer 21 days
Clerical Officer 20 days
Services Officer 20 days
Services Attendant 20 days

Do you happen to know the % of workers in each grade ? I've googled it but can't find it...

Depends on the organisation. Some are top heavy. Some are not. Also from what I have seen a lot of the higher grades do not take all their leave and those at Assistant Principal and above are on 24 hr call officially and those below that are the same unofficially.

I am a public sector worker. I am not entitled to flexi time and am required to work one and a half days one day a week and a half day every saturday (i'm off mondays). I get too many holidays (31) and would be more than willing to cut back on the number I get but this has never been suggested by the unions (i'm not in a union). My pay was down a day's wages this week because the unions caused my office to to be closed for the strike last week. I end up doing a lot of work from home because of the nature of my work a lot of my time is taken up dealing with the public so I do a lot of my admin and email work remotely when I get home from work (childcare arrangements don't allow me to stay in work after public opening hours). Cut backs and the moratorium has increased my workload significantly but I am happy to work as I am because I enjoy my work and feel I am providing a valuable service to the community. I was relocated to my current office due to the moratorium meaning my household must now run 2 cars for work as myself and my husband used to work in the same town and now we don't. I had no choice in the move and received no financial benefit from it (not suggesting i should). I have always paid pension contributions before the pension levy even though because of the age I started in public sector I will not have full 40 years service when I finish.

Anyway my suggestion is that everyone is moved back to the previous pay scale on their incremental scale and that there are no increments for 2 years then increments are given every 2 years instead of every year if someone has reached their targets set out in PMDS. I would also be willing to work 40 hours a week instead of 35 for the same money therefore increasing the access to services at no extra cost. This push back in the incremental scale should apply to people on public sector pensions too and another saving could be made there.

I am a public sector worker. I am not entitled to flexi time and am required to work one and a half days one day a week and a half day every saturday (i'm off mondays). I get too many holidays (31) and would be more than willing to cut back on the number I get but this has never been suggested by the unions (i'm not in a union). My pay was down a day's wages this week because the unions caused my office to to be closed for the strike last week. I end up doing a lot of work from home because of the nature of my work a lot of my time is taken up dealing with the public so I do a lot of my admin and email work remotely when I get home from work (childcare arrangements don't allow me to stay in work after public opening hours). Cut backs and the moratorium has increased my workload significantly but I am happy to work as I am because I enjoy my work and feel I am providing a valuable service to the community. I was relocated to my current office due to the moratorium meaning my household must now run 2 cars for work as myself and my husband used to work in the same town and now we don't. I had no choice in the move and received no financial benefit from it (not suggesting i should). I have always paid pension contributions before the pension levy even though because of the age I started in public sector I will not have full 40 years service when I finish.

Anyway my suggestion is that everyone is moved back to the previous pay scale on their incremental scale and that there are no increments for 2 years then increments are given every 2 years instead of every year if someone has reached their targets set out in PMDS. I would also be willing to work 40 hours a week instead of 35 for the same money therefore increasing the access to services at no extra cost. This push back in the incremental scale should apply to people on public sector pensions too and another saving could be made there.

Hi Sandrat, Really enjoyed reading your post and wish there were more PS workers on this thread that can see the mess we're in. I mentioned a few weeks ago about rolling back the previous benchmarking increases, but using the scales would do the same job - across the board so no need for individual depts to argue their cases.

I would agree with that. I mentioned on another thread yesterday that one step back in increments would bring in around the same savings as this unpaid leave proposal and should be much easier to organise. A freeze in increments for a couple of years does not sound unreasonable. According to one report this morning, just paying the flat rate of pay for the hours 8am to 8pm would save between 700-800 million a year.
You would think that between some of these options they could come up with a workable plan to make the savings.

Welcome posts from sandrat & Shawady.

I noticed that Shawady has mentioned this a couple of times but I don't think any other PS worker has commented or has appeared to feel the same until now.

Around the same savings? What is the annual incremental % increase then? (broadly speaking, I realise grades/sub sectors will differ)

I would have to check the document on pay scales but I was under the impression it was around 4 to 5% - similar to what the 12 days unpaid leave was to cost public sector workers in 2010.
I had previously thought of a freeze on increments but as a lot of people have reached the top of their scale this would not bring in as much but a step back would affect almost everyone.
The advantage for the government is it is much easier to organise. The advantage for the unions is that although it is a cut in current wages it is not a cut in the pay scales themselves.

Like Sandrat, I think the current pensioners should be subjected to a 5% cut also.

Excellent ideas Sandrat.

Just one piont on the roll back of increments and I hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works. What would happen to someone who has reached the top of their scale and hasn't had an increment in a couple of years. To that person they are effectively taking a bigger cut by being put back on a salary they were earning in some cases 5 years ago were as to some it is a move to last years salary.

The unions knew it wasn’t a runner but also knew that they would be blasted by the general public and many of their own members if they went on strike again so they put it out in the media that the unpaid leave was a government proposal and that they likes it as an excuse to call off the strike.

Basically it’s all out of the Comrades Stalinist disinformation play-book.

Is this speculation, or do you know this for a fact?

Back