People who cant control their dogs

"At the end of the day it's the dogs behaviour that is annoying or scary."
but it's people that are enabling that behaviour. I'll tell ya, I'd rather deal with a nasty dog than a nasty person any day.... but unfortunately, it's the people that are causing the problems

I wonder if the dog licence was well increased and enforced would it make a difference in the fact that maybe only people who genuinely love dogs and are prepared to look after them properly would keep them.

afaik there is a spray can or compressed air available in most pet shops that gives a loud enough hiss to deter most dogs if they are running up to you. I know no eye contact is the best course but when you do it you really are expecting a nip. Last dog I turned my back to I got a good bite on the calf. I have a jack russell who is very well behaved in some areas but we still can't let off the lead as she may or may not return when called so she stays on the lead. We are here third family so there were some trust issues which are gradually being resolved. professional trainer has been well worth the few pound each week as we nearly had to send her back.

fmc I think jack russells have minds of their own! I know sometimes I could keep calling mine till the cows come home and they'll only come when they feel like it. I live in the country so luckily they run off out the fields.

I am not sure what an electronic deterent is. Can you not carry one of those high frquency ultrasonic deterants and give them a blast. They have them in Maplin

Thats what I meant, they did not work on the dogs in my estate!!

You really have to wonder about the mindset of people who let their dogs bark incessantly.

I feel for those dogs who are locked outside and bark all night. The two beside us bark for hours through the night, we only hear them if the wind is blowing in the right (or wrong) direction. I can't understand how they and their children can sleep through it. If we were neighbours on an estate or if our houses were just a bit closer, it would drive me to violence by now probably.

I like the change to the thread, I do agree it's owners not dogs that are at fault. We have two dogs and while they both take different handling in many instances the basics are the same. We don't always get it right but I would never allow my dogs to be a pest to anyone which is why I probably get more than a little upset at other people allowing their dogs to bother me.

so much negativity about dogs in the last few posts... it's the owners, not the dogs...

I agree somewhat. It's their nature, its their breeding, its the owners, its the dogs.

I'm the owner of two Yorkies but lucky enough to live in the sticks with ares of open space for the girls. They're a territorial little yoke, though. Our closest neighbour has a Neopolitan Bull Mastiff which used to wander in. I witnessed the mini Yorkie attack it one day and I mean attack. Very loyal and ultimately affectionate dog. TBH, and I know that this will annoy a lot of people, I don't think that any dog was meant for estates. They need space to roam, hunt, etc. A dog confined and restrained is a dog imprisoned.

We've no dogs, never have, but we just had a cold call from the dog warden looking to know how many dogs we had. My OH said "none but there are plenty around here and not always on leads either". "oh I'll be calling to them too he said". He gets in his car and drives off out of the estate. ( we're only 2nd house from entrance ). WIll he be back, who knows.

Seeing as theyre such a big part of everyday life (barely a day passes when I dont interact with a dog and Im not currently an owner), would you consider doing something (like volunteering at a shelter perhaps) to overcome your fear? Not because I think you shouldnt be allowed to be afraid of dogs!! But because sometimes if you educate yourself about the thing you are scared of it gets less scary - in your case if you understood dog behaviour you may not feel afraid when you see one - which would make life easier for you when out and about.

quote]

Good idea. I'd also like to get my small nephews involved. They both hate dogs and have been saying, since they were about three, that they are afraid of dogs. They didn't pick it up from their parents but are very definite about it.

I

Seeing as theyre such a big part of everyday life (barely a day passes when I dont interact with a dog and Im not currently an owner), would you consider doing something (like volunteering at a shelter perhaps) to overcome your fear? Not because I think you shouldnt be allowed to be afraid of dogs!! But because sometimes if you educate yourself about the thing you are scared of it gets less scary - in your case if you understood dog behaviour you may not feel afraid when you see one - which would make life easier for you when out and about.

quote]

Good idea. I'd also like to get my small nephews involved as they are both scared of dogs (which means I have to be very brave if I'm out with them and pretend I'm not the least bit afraid).

I agree that people should think carefully before getting a dog. So many people nowadays live in really small spaces with little or nothing in the way of a garden, and are out at work all day. It is very unfair on both the dog and your neighbours to keep a dog in this situation.

Good idea. I'd also like to get my small nephews involved as they are both scared of dogs (which means I have to be very brave if I'm out with them and pretend I'm not the least bit afraid).

Liaconn - a step in the right direction for you (and your nephews) might be a visit to the DSPCA on Mount Venus Road (Rathfarnham). You can go up there for a coffee and a wander and they have 'shelter' dogs who are permanent residents. The permanent residents are about as bomb proof as dogs can be, you can accidently stand on one and they wont do anything (I did stand on ones paw onetime and she just yelped and looked at me to get off her foot). So itd be a safe environment in which to meet safe dogs (staff are always around, the dogs are not unsupervised) and just get used to being up close. You could speak to the staff up there about volunteering if you were into it as well or just go along and hang around sometimes to get used to being around them. Ive brought a friends family where the little boy was beginning to be scared of dogs and he is fine about them now after meeting nice ones.

Yes pity to see someone scared of dogs as they can be the most loving, loyal animals around. The tailwag and welcome you get when you come home is hard to beat. Such intelligent creatures, we really underestimate them.
On the other hand maddening to see owners who won't care for them properly and who don't give a hoot about them disturbing neighbours etc, Don't know why people bother owning them if they can't look after them.

yes pity to see someone scared of dogs as they can be the most loving, loyal animals around. The tailwag and welcome you get when you come home is hard to beat. Such intelligent creatures, we really underestimate them.
On the other hand maddening to see owners who won't care for them properly and who don't give a hoot about them disturbing neighbours etc, don't know why people bother owning them if they can't look after them.

+100

what saddens me is that if there is an unruly dog, the only thing the state will do is have it put down. Its a death sentance for any dog unlucky enough to enter the pound

what saddens me is that if there is an unruly dog, the only thing the state will do is have it put down. Its a death sentance for any dog unlucky enough to enter the pound

While I agree its sad, what would you have the state do? Its because of irresponsible people not neutering their dogs or idiots wanting 'designer breeds' that the pounds are full of unwanted dogs.

Its not always a death sentence, I know a number of people whose dogs are pound rescues - so there are some lucky dogs who get out.

While I agree its sad, what would you have the state do? Its because of irresponsible people not neutering their dogs or idiots wanting 'designer breeds' that the pounds are full of unwanted dogs.

Its not always a death sentence, I know a number of people whose dogs are pound rescues - so there are some lucky dogs who get out.
I dont honestly know, aside from always choosing a rescue dog myself. Most rescues are from private charities though, a dog gets a week in the pound AFAIK and then chop...

I dont honestly know, aside from always choosing a rescue dog myself. Most rescues are from private charities though, a dog gets a week in the pound AFAIK and then chop...

I hear you, it is very sad. I do believe the only way to tackle it properly is to educate people on being responsible owners, get your dog neutered, dont hand a dog over to the pound because you werent expecting to have to clean up dog poop, or you didnt realise there is a lot of work in caring for a dog, dont feed the machine of puppy farms where dogs are being bred to cater for the 'designer pet' idea while millions of animals are unwanted, get the dog wardens properly controlling and collecting strays so more and more litters are not being born, teach children in school the level of responsibility it takes to be a good dog owner etc...

As long as there is a culture of irresponsibility from dog owners we are going to have pounds that destroy dogs.

Back