Neighbor's cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only ever had a mouse issue once and the plug ins (forget what they are called but they emit electrical pulses that annoy the mice and they move out) sorted the issue.

Just in case anyone else reads this and thinks these devices might be a solution to a rodent problem, studies since the '70s have shown these do not work.

why are they causing problems for your kids. They may be feral, formerly trapped and neutred, and are being fed by someone. Why do you think that this is any of your business? if they are neglected then fine - call a cat rescue or dspca.
Because cats foul and pee and the kids do'nt want to play in it, maybe

I hope you pick up your dogs poo, Leper, as 90% of dog owners think it ok to leave it on the footpath, or the green where children play. At least cats bury theirs

Seriously, this is not a cat vs dog argument, but wildlife could be in his garden as well, foxes etc. What about birds, they poop! Very annoying when there is washing on the line.
don't get me started on the mice and rats.
Not all cats bury as they leave it on loose leaves, grass etc. Believe me I know.

Just in case anyone else reads this and thinks these devices might be a solution to a rodent problem, studies since the '70s have shown these do not work.
yes cos that is the problem with this thread, not advocating poisoning or getting rid of someones pet.

If you had rats in your garden or house would you use traps or poison?
Rats are more intelligent, more social and make better pets than cats. Why is it okay to kill one animal that invades your home or garden and not another?
I would certainly prefer a pet rat to a pet cat. When I had rats in the house I used traps and killed one (and felt bad about it). It was suggested that I get a cat but I can say categorically that I'd prefer to have rats than a cat. I hate cats. That's probably because of all the dead birds and squirrels I found dismembered in my parents garden by the neighbours dead eyed cats as a kid.
Why should I have to deal with them coming in to my garden or my house because their owner chooses to let them behave like wild animals?
If you want to own a pet then keep it under control. That applied to every animal other than cats. Why is that?

Obviously it's subjective as to what makes a better pet. Wouldn't fancy a rat myself but then I wouldn't have a cat either. (the thoughts of them walking on the worktops where we prepare food). But I like cats and would feed one if it came into my garden and have done. In my case when I've had mice I really tried the humane traps. But they're useless and had to revert to old fashioned kill traps to terminate 5 tiny critters.

However I think there's a big difference between an odd cat coming in to your garden and the OPs issue with large numbers. I would agree that the owner would be the first port of call but really there should be a legal remedy regarding nuisance animals that doesn't require you to take steps to harm the animal.
I don't have the issue anymore as my dog dissuades cats from hanging around. He is also anti-bird, (has a grudge against a particular seagull who visits daily) anti- fox/squirrel/hedgehog/ and is profoundly racist.

Obviously it's subjective as to what makes a better pet. Wouldn't fancy a rat myself but then I wouldn't have a cat either. (the thoughts of them walking on the worktops where we prepare food). But I like cats and would feed one if it came into my garden and have done. In my case when I've had mice I really tried the humane traps. But they're useless and had to revert to old fashioned kill traps to terminate 5 tiny critters.

However I think there's a big difference between an odd cat coming in to your garden and the OPs issue with large numbers. I would agree that the owner would be the first port of call but really there should be a legal remedy regarding nuisance animals that doesn't require you to take steps to harm the animal.
I don't have the issue anymore as my dog dissuades cats from hanging around. He is also anti-bird, (has a grudge against a particular seagull who visits daily) anti- fox/squirrel/hedgehog/ and is profoundly racist.

yes this does sound like a hoarding and welfare situation and the OP can get help from animal welfare groups etc.

Instead, some posters have decided its a thread to vent their ant-cat sentiments.

OK, so what would you expect a cat owner to do that would be both effective and humane?
I don't know, my cats don't roam. But there has to be a better solution than poisoning someones pet or taking away their collar and getting them put down. Seriously?

As I have said plenty of times, the OPs situation sounds like a welfare/hoarding issue/

It's important to point out misinformation to prevent others falling for the scam.
Its not a scam, and they did work for me. I am not talking about the sonar ones btw its the ones that use the electrical pulses, something like this:

[broken link removed]

OK, so what would you expect a cat owner to do that would be both effective and humane?
A goalkeepers Hurley and a pair of welders gloves?
There's a fair big of weight in one of those; properly wielded the cat wouldn't feel a thing.

yes this does sound like a hoarding and welfare situation and the OP can get help from animal welfare groups etc.

Instead, some posters have decided its a thread to vent their ant-cat sentiments.
It's not just cats, it's any vermin that comes into the garden, kills the little birds and squirrels, leaves their dismembered corpses strewn across the place and then defecates the remaining remains of the poor creatures onto the grass and flower beds where children could get it on their hands and into their eyes.

Its not a scam, and they did work for me. I am not talking about the sonar ones btw its the ones that use the electrical pulses, something like this:

[broken link removed]

You do realise that these are still sonic ( or 'sonar', if you prefer) based repellents, just may be more efficient in spreading the ultrasonic wave throughout the house.

Personally I never had much success with these type of deterrents , just drove the kids mad. God bless their hearing range.

Last edited:
You do relaise that these are still sonic ( or 'sonar', if you prefer) based repellents, just may be more efficient in spreading the ultrasonic wave throughout the house.

forgive me for getting a word wrong.

Yet someone can suggest a harmful end to someones pet and thats ok.

forgive me for getting a word wrong.

Yet someone can suggest a harmful end to someones pet and thats ok.
You can't underestimate the importance of correct syntax and punctuation, let alone wording.
As a cat lover you should be aware that they are also sticklers for these things.

[broken link removed]

No, it is absolutely a scam. Independent tests (i.e., those not paid for be the manufacturers) have proven they have no long term effect, mice quite happily live right beside the emitters. In most cases the electromagnetic field emitted from these devices is no more than the background level of the earth's magnetic field a short distance away. If they were powerful enough to deter rodents, they'd affect pets, yet these are always pet-safe for some reason :rolleyes:

I had a mouse once, but I bought a new car and I've never had one since! So that worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back