Neighbor's cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamstrong

A flat to the back of our garden has about 20 cats. I think the flat may be council owned and has no garden of its own.

Obviously the cats are often in our garden and are causing problems for the kids. What are our rights in this case? I read that cats have a 'right to roam'?

Might be worth reporting it to the ISPCA as a starting point, 20 cats in a flat with no garden can not be good for the animals.

A flat to the back of our garden has about 20 cats. I think the flat may be council owned and has no garden of its own.

Obviously the cats are often in our garden and are causing problems for the kids. What are our rights in this case? I read that cats have a 'right to roam'?
why are they causing problems for your kids. They may be feral, formerly trapped and neutred, and are being fed by someone. Why do you think that this is any of your business? if they are neglected then fine - call a cat rescue or dspca.

why are they causing problems for your kids. They may be feral, formerly trapped and neutred, and are being fed by someone. Why do you think that this is any of your business? if they are neglected then fine - call a cat rescue or dspca.
If someone else's pet is in my garden then it's my business. If they can't control their pets then they shouldn't own them. I hate it when cat owners think it's okay for their pets to leave their excrement and bits of their kills in my garden.

You could try this stuff on the border of your garden. There may be other cats paying you a visit, as well as the ones from the apartment.

I was convinced that a particular dog in my estate was leaving his excrement on my front lawn. I only found out it was a cat after I installed a motion activated camera. I dosed the front lawn with a homemade mixture of black, white and cayenne pepper and the cat hasn't come back.

I used to have awful problems with cats crapping in my lawn - I too thought it was a dog 'till I saw a cat in the act. The cat belonged to a neighbour but took to doing his toilet in my place. The smell was disgusting, I always knew when he'd 'been' I tried every product under the sun and spent a fortune but nothing kept him away. I might add he was a huge cat and he left a right mess. He would dig up the lawn and leave tufts of grass over it. I got lucky - he died. I think cats in housing estates are a no no unless it's kept as an indoor cat- why should someone have to put up with them in their back garden?

I am not sure if they are neglected which is why I didn't call cat rescue so far. They probably have a great life in everyone else's gardens. The problems are digging holes, excriment, urine and not being able to leave the kids unattended. If you leave a door open they will sometimes even come into the house.

Would like to know if there was some law that could help us, if we contacted the council/landlord.

I am not sure if they are neglected which is why I didn't call cat rescue so far. They probably have a great life in everyone else's gardens. The problems are digging holes, excriment, urine and not being able to leave the kids unattended. If you leave a door open they will sometimes even come into the house.

Would like to know if there was some law that could help us, if we contacted the council/landlord.
If they go into your house just close the door, take off any collar they have on and bring it to the pound where it will either to re-housed faraway from you or, preferably, put down.

If they go into your house just close the door, take off any collar they have on and bring it to the pound where it will either to re-housed faraway from you or, preferably, put down.
What kind of person are you to even think of suggesting that? Unbelieveable

some law? they are animals for god sake. They don't know its your garden, or house. If they come into the house they don't sound feral. Just chase them out of your garden if you don't want them in there.

You forgot to remove the microchip.

1. Like every living creature cats eat and subsequently drop their "puddings" usually not on their own patch. Their "puddings" contain bacteria which can be harmful to humans and can cause blindness in children.
2. Anybody can feed a cat. A two year old child can do it. But, I've never seen any cat lover cleaning up faecies dropped away from the cats' home patch.
3. Somebody suggested that the OP should get a dog. Great! - if he wants a dog. But, a possible solution to the problem.
4. If the OP wanted a cat, I'm sure he'd get one. But, it appears he doesn't want a cat and should not have to endure the presence of several cats that he doesn't need or want.
5. I don't know the physical layout of the OP's garden. But, if he can put a wire fence around it he has a chance of preventing cats entering his property. That's of course workable if somebody doesn't cut holes in the fence.
6. There are chemical cat repellents that can be bought, but from what I hear are as next to useless as makes no difference. Stones on flower beds with some citrus peels are useless too.
7. There is no point in chasing cats from your garden, they will just return when they feel like it.
8. Cat owners have an obligation not to inflict their pets on those who don't share that love.
9. We have two dogs that can go from 0 to 60 in four seconds; any cat entering our property would be a brave feline; sorry! probably would be a former brave feline if it can't go from 0 to 61 in three seconds.

Last edited:
1. Like every living creature cats eat and subsequently drop their "puddings" usually not on their own patch. Their "puddings" contain bacteria which can be harmful to humans and can cause blindness in children.
2. Anybody can feed a cat. A two year old child can do it. But, I've never seen any cat lover cleaning up facies dropped away from the cats' home patch.
3. Somebody suggested that the OP should get a dog. Great! - if he wants a dog. But, a possible solution to the problem.
4. If the OP wanted a cat, I'm sure he'd get one. But, it appears he doesn't want a cat and should not have to endure the presence of several cats that he doesn't need or want.
5. I don't know the physical layout of the OP's garden. But, if he can put a wire fence around it he has a chance of preventing cats entering his property. That's of course workable if somebody doesn't cut holes in the fence.
6. There are chemical cat repellents that can be bought, but from what I hear are as next to useless as makes no difference. Stones on flower beds with some citrus peels are useless too.
7. There is no point in chasing cats from your garden, they will just return when they feel like it.
8. Cat owners have an obligation not to inflict their pets on those who don't share that love.
9. We have two dogs that can go from 0 to 60 in four seconds; any cat entering our property would be a brave feline; sorry! probably would be a former brave feline if it can't go from 0 to 61 in three seconds.
I hope you pick up your dogs poo, Leper, as 90% of dog owners think it ok to leave it on the footpath, or the green where children play. At least cats bury theirs

Seriously, this is not a cat vs dog argument, but wildlife could be in his garden as well, foxes etc. What about birds, they poop! Very annoying when there is washing on the line.
don't get me started on the mice and rats.

I hope you pick up your dogs poo, Leper, as 90% of dog owners think it ok to leave it on the footpath, or the green where children play. At least cats bury theirs

Seriously, this is not a cat vs dog argument, but wildlife could be in his garden as well, foxes etc. What about birds, they poop! Very annoying when there is washing on the line.
don't get me started on the mice and rats.
1. I am a responsible dog owner and I clean up after them. I abhor anybody who doesn't clean up the droppings of their pets.
2. The subject here is multiple cats invading other peoples' property. Cats kill birds too + mice etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back