Motor Insurance Credits/Refunds - what about Motor Tax?

mathepac

I pay €590/annum comprehensive motor insurance and their are calls for the insurers to look at credits or refunds on premia paid due to reduced claims and reduction in travel.

I pay €800/annum motor tax, due for renewal on 1st May. How about Paschal & Leo look at refunding me a few quid as well? Less pollution by my 2.0 litre diesel and less tarmac worn by my tyres.

We tried to start my wife's car at the weekend. Battery flat. Rather than try and jump it we will leave it there and just use my car. Can we claim any tax back for the car being off the road?

I'm cycling into work at the moment. Can I claim some of my insurance and road tax back?
I know that there are hundreds of thousands of people out of work, massive increases in spending and the likelihood of another Great Depression but can I have a tax cut please?

I'm cycling into work at the moment. Can I claim some of my insurance and road tax back?
I know that there are hundreds of thousands of people out of work, massive increases in spending and the likelihood of another Great Depression but can I have a tax cut please?
Are you availing of the "cycle to work" scheme? It would seem very selfish of you to try and claim a double tax back?

Insurance company's are writing too customers now.it will be interesting too see if this is only for cars and or moterbikes ?

I got an email today from my motor insurer Allianz to say they will be refunding all private car, van and taxi insurance customers €30.

My policy is just short of €500, so a 6% refund in my case, not a lot.

Interestingly, it seems all their policyholders get the same €30, even those who still use their cars as much as before and those who pay thousands for cover.

car insurance with my company is up shortly thinking moving elsewhere ,by the time this refund comes through will be gone elsewhere so assume wont receive it

Haven't driven my car for over six weeks and Mrs Boomer is down to about 20 miles per week.

€30 is pretty miserable. The VHI formula, approx 50% refund for 3 months is more reasonable.

We should get a similar rebate on road tax.

Has anyone had a refund from their car insurance company. I remember that this was being talked about?

Unlikely to get a motor tax refund. The public finances are in trouble because of the C19 pandemic.

Has anyone had a refund from their car insurance company. I remember that this was being talked about?

I got a text from 123.ie stating I'd be getting a One4All voucher in the post 'in the coming weeks'... That was 3 weeks ago....nothing yet.

Heard nothing here. Insurance was only renewed at the end of March as well. It doesn't look like we will be hearing anything at this rate.

I am insured with Aviva. I understand that they would deal with people if they contacted them directly. Other insures were stated that they would give refunds. I will contact Aviva over the next few days to see what the story is.

I am insured with Aviva. I understand that they would deal with people if they contacted them directly. Other insures were stated that they would give refunds. I will contact Aviva over the next few days to see what the story is.

Also with Aviva. Motor policy up by 6% this year and asked about any covid lockdown rebate. Not remotely interested. When Norwich Union merged with Commercial Union/General Accident (or "Generous Accident" as they were known in the industry) 20 years ago they obviously inherited the Scottish financial philosophy. I need to use them this year but next renewal all bets are off.
Hope you have better luck

This is what Aviva said.

thanks for getting in touch. We are committed to continue supporting all our customers, including motor insurance customers, through more relevant and impactful supports. We believe we can provide more value for you through a competitive quote at renewal. Thanks, xxxx.

Not good enough Aviva.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back