Learning from other countries re Dodgy Builders

I think this is probably more to do with the definition of an employee compared to self-employed than anything else. On Page 6 , one of the listed characteristics of employment is that the employee "is not exposed to personal financial risk in carrying out the work".
Yep, which does lead me to form the opinion that professional certification is, for the most part, meaningless and more to do with elitism than anything substantive at it relates to the jobs that those professionals do.

Yep, which does lead me to form the opinion that professional certification is, for the most part, meaningless and more to do with elitism than anything substantive at it relates to the jobs that those professionals do.
Any professional certification that doesn't require to be backed by professional indemnity insurance is probably more or less meaningless

Any professional certification that doesn't require to be backed by professional indemnity insurance is probably more or less meaningless
So what matters is whether someone providing goods of services is insured.

So what matters is whether someone providing goods or services is insured.
Absolutely not. My comment concerned professional certification, not the merchandising of goods or the supply of services generally.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. My comment concerned professional certification, not the merchandising of goods or the supply of services generally.
When I engage an accountant or solicitor or doctor etc I'm just buying a service.

When I engage an accountant or solicitor or doctor etc I'm just buying a service.
And...?

Accountants rarely if ever certify anything of note. In fact we're advised by our respective Institutes never to use the word certify in a report or assurance letter, on the grounds that it connotes 100% truth and accuracy which is difficult to attain in any document or task.

And...?

Accountants rarely if ever certify anything of note. In fact we're advised by our respective Institutes never to use the word certify in a report or assurance letter, on the grounds that it connotes 100% truth and accuracy which is difficult to attain in any document or task.
And so I don't see any different between a professional and non professional when purchase a good or service.
I want to know if they have insurance in the event of dishonesty, negligence or gross incompetence and in my experience their membership or otherwise of a professional body has no bearing on the likelihood of that being the case.

Back