Is The Demise of Diesel Cars just Slick marketing?

Generally they would be connected to the main consumer board in the house yes. There are other ways of doing it though, depending on how easy it is to get the cable from the consumer board to where you want the charger.

these home charging points are they wired directly into house main supply inside out or are they wired separately just wondering effect on internal supply to house and what kind of disruption power point construction

They are always wired from the house's consumer unit (fuse board), they need to be fed after the meter so they know what to charge you, they also need their own isolation switch due to the loads involved. The level of disruption involved in installation depends on where your consumer unit is located and where you want the charge point installed.

If it's an older house or you already have heavy loads such as heat pumps, and want a 32A capable fast charger you will likely have to apply for an upgraded supply to your house. If you don't already, you might consider getting a night rate meter installed so you can use lower priced electricity when charging overnight.

They are always wired from the house's consumer unit
Just to call-out that it's quite possible for your electrician to create a primary and secondary fuse-board setup. In this setup, the feed from the ESB meter goes into the new primary fuse board (hopefully nearer to the meter box and where you want the charger) and from this you feed your charger and your secondary fuse-board (which used to be the primary one). This can avoid having to cable to the existing fuse-board if it is difficult to do so and can avoid having to upgrade the existing fuse-board if it or its feed is not rated for the extra 16/32A.

This can avoid having to cable to the existing fuse-board if it is difficult to do so and can avoid having to upgrade the existing fuse-board if it or its feed is not rated for the extra 16/32A.

The feed from the meter must connected directly to the main consumer unit where it is protected by the primary breaker. Any secondary unit must be wired after this breaker and so connection via the main consumer unit is mandatory.

Unless you're rewiring the house, creating a new primary CU wouldn't make sense in the majority of cases, it'd just mean more rewiring and costs for no real gain. You're looking to avoid running a 6 or 10mm T&E cable for the EV charge point from the main CU, only to require running a 16mm one from the new CU back to the existing CU? I'm not sure you're get a RECI to sign-off on that arrangement.

Ah yeah not common at all, but just saying the charger does't "always" need to be run to the existing CU.

Imagine a case where your meter box is at one side of a large home, you want to put the charger beside it, but your existing CU is at the far side of the house. Your sparks can just break the 16sqm from the meter box to the existing CU and insert a new CU in there, adding a main fuse etc. and spec'ing it correctly to have it as the primary and the existing unit becomes the secondary. No need to run a new cable to the existing CU to achieve this, just short runs near the meter box and charger. Have this done myself and seen it elsewhere, all RECI signed-off.

Was going looking at a diesel car the morning I started this thread.
Didn't buy at the time and ended up driving a lovely petrol bangeronomic since.
Now bought a diesel bangeronomic. Fuel consumption looking good. Got 59mpg from the first fill and with revised driving got 68mpg from the next fill.

The electric car you buy today is already based on the past having said that I drive an electric car because it cost very little to run there is a free charging point close to where I live ,I know the energy regulator is looking at changing the free charging point,
When I bought car had less than 1000 km and had already lost most of its value,
Every one is talking about the low cost of running an electric vehicle, so when we all switch to electric, where are the government going to get the 1.5 billion+ that they collect from fuel tax and duty every year?Tax the electricity, tax the car? Cheap driving won't happen, if someone invented a car that would run on tap water, government would bring in a law to say you could only use water with a certain dye that you could only purchase from a particular place,that the money went back to government coffers, wise up guys and girls

Every one is talking about the low cost of running an electric vehicle, so when we all switch to electric, where are the government going to get the 1.5 billion+ that they collect from fuel tax and duty every year?Tax the electricity, tax the car? Cheap driving won't happen, if someone invented a car that would run on tap water, government would bring in a law to say you could only use water with a certain dye that you could only purchase from a particular place,that the money went back to government coffers, wise up guys and girls
Somebody who bought an electric car back in 2010 has now had nearly ten years cheap motoring. It will be at least another ten before enough people have changed over that taxes on EVs will need to be ramped up, so anybody buying today will still have plenty of cheap motoring...

As for where will the €1.5bn come from? The first €500m or so would come from not having to pay fines/carbon-credits for exceeding EU pollution limits. Another good chunk will come from increases in the carbon tax. Then yeah I’d imagine road tax on EVs will go up. Cannot see tax in electricity being increased too much though as it would hit poorer people trying to heat and light their homes.

I know this is AskAboutMoney, but a switch to EVs is not just about saving money. I would gladly pay an extra few quid a year to walk down a street and not have poisonous fumes pumped into my face. The recent EPA report on Dublin pollution suggested that you should try to carry children if you’re walking along a busy street to keep them up out of the fumes - seeing something like that in an official government document should really give people pause.

Back